Chaparral and Oak
Size:
125 acres
% Contained:
No Containment
Resources Committed:
3 – Type 2 IA Crews, 4 – Engines, 1 – Water Tenders
2 – Type 1 Air tankers 1 – Type 3 Helicopter, 1 – Fixed Wing Tactical Aircraft
Additional resources have been ordered along with Dan Oltrogge’s Type 1 Incident Management Team.
Structures:
No structures threatened
Concerns:
Yavapai County Sheriffs Department has evacuated the community of Pine Flat.
Restrictions:
The entire Prescott NF is in Stage II Fire Restrictions:
• Campfires, charcoal grills, and stove fires are prohibited on national forest lands, roads, and
trails. An exception will be to allow campfires in developed recreation sites where grills and
campfire rings are provided.
• Pressurized liquid or gas stoves, lanterns and heaters meeting safety specifications are allowed.
• Smoking is prohibited except within enclosed vehicles, buildings, or developed recreations sites
where the area is cleared of all flammable material.
• Campfires at the designated dispersed sites within the Prescott Basin are prohibited. Metal posts
identify designated dispersed sites with a number.
• Welding or operating of acetylene or other torches and blasting are prohibited.
• Operating a chainsaw, or other equipment powered by an internal combustion engine are
prohibited.
• Possessing, discharging or using any kind of fireworks or other pyrotechnic device is prohibited.
• Use of explosives is prohibited.
For more information contact Debbie Maneely at (928) 443-8130

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
PNF just told me on my bi-daily update:

The forests will not be closed.

New cycle and quad/ATV restrictions go into effect Friday, though it doesn't effect the typical motor vehicle. We're fine.

Senator Highway is open despite the Battle Fire. Access to Senator from Mayer MIGHT become an issue if the fire spreads.

Since some will be leaving for the area BEFORE Saturday and not have web access, we will keep the meeting spot as MAYER, even if we need to access the trailhead from another route.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
WOOHOO!

Evacuations to end tonight as fire crews stop flames cold

Associated Press
Jun. 7, 2006 05:01 PM

MAYER - Residents of a central Arizona rural community evacuated Wednesday morning will be allowed to return to their homes Wednesday evening after fire crews, retardant drops from air tankers and rain combined to stop a roaring blaze in its tracks.

All residents of the Pine Flats area south of Mayer were ordered to leave by the U.S. Forest Service as the fire grew quickly after being reported early Wednesday, said Debbie Maneely, a spokeswoman for Prescott National Forest.

"It was raining but there were still 40 foot flames and the fire was burning towards Pine Flats," Maneely said.

Shortly after the mandatory evacuation was called at 7:30 a.m., three heavy air tankers started making retardant drops and were able to stop the fire's advance, Maneely said.

"Those air tankers were just a savior," Maneely said.

Crews had a perimeter around the fire as of 4 p.m., she said, and residents will be allowed to return at 8 p.m. Two county roads closed because of the flames also will reopen.

Pine Flats is located about seven miles south of State Route 69 about 75 miles north of Phoenix.

The Battle Fire burned about 125 acres and came within 1 1/2 miles of Pine Flat. The Forest Service had ordered a Type 1 fire team, used in the most difficult fires, but canceled the response.

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
Just got off the phone with Jeremy of the FJ Cruiser Team.

He says that thier mission on this run is for the attendees to drive the FJs. They'll spot and explain the rigs to whomever if asked. He said they also have some "goodies" for us too! (And I know what they are ;p )

You want to come on this trip!

seth_js

Explorer
I will be camping out Saturday night (not sure where yet, but probably Schnebly Hill) after the run, then doing some mountain biking on Sunday in Sedona. Any one is welcome to join.

-Seth

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
FYI:

The Circle K in Mayer doesn't have enough parking for a large group. Please don't clog up the store lot.

There is a Dollar store across the street - the road in front of it should provide enough space for a group to park.

Thanks

Mark

Area Forecast For: Yavapai County Valleys and Basins
Issued: June 08, 2006 04:05:12 MST

Saturday: Partly cloudy in the morning then clearing. Southeast winds up to 15 mph shifting to the southwest 10 to 20 mph in the afternoon. Highs 90 to 100.

Last edited:

seth_js

Explorer
So you guys think we'll be done by about 3:00? I can't stay up there Saturday night like I wanted, so I'm going to try to get some riding time in before sunset.

-Seth

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
seth_js said:
So you guys think we'll be done by about 3:00? I can't stay up there Saturday night like I wanted, so I'm going to try to get some riding time in before sunset.

-Seth

Hmmmmm......I doubt it. 4 maybe? It's hard to tell what pace the group will move at.

seth_js

Explorer
Hmm, that's probably still early enough. Eh, whatever. I'll bring my bike and if I have time, then cool. If not, no biggie.

-Seth

clarkrw3

Observer
I'll be there for this trip!!! We will finally get the Lexi's out together....should be a great trip.:victory:

BMAN

Adventurer
I'd plan on not getting back to Tucson till Sunday early AM if you run the whole trail...AND we get as many trucks as I expect we will. I would place the over/under in the 40 truck range... if I were a betting man that is.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
IF, IF we have more than 30, it's gonna be a very, very long day. With the plethora of basicly stock rigs, it will take considerably longer thru the rocky section. Bring gloves to stack and unstack rocks...

Those who wish to bail out early have an option to exit at the Peck Mine Rd.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Sorry gang, I am out I am sad to say. Colette has a big project going on at work, and she will be working, and my teenager will be at a friends house so I have to stay and watch the other two kids. Take lots of good pics for me, and if I get a chance this weekend I will go and test drive an FJ just for the spirit of the weekend. Have fun and be safe everyone.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
bummer...we'll see ya on the trail soon

--------------------------------------

Prescott National Forest Enters Stage III Fire Restrictions

June 7, 2006

PRESCOTT, AZ - Prescott National Forest will increase fire restrictions on Thursday, June 8, at 8:00 am. Since the forest-wide fire and smoking restrictions went into effect May 11, 52 illegal and abandoned campfires have been found. “With forest visitor use increasing, along with illegal fires, temperatures and dry conditions; we have decided to increase our current fire restrictions”, said Forest Fire Management Officer Curtis Heaton.

The following are prohibited on the Prescott National Forest:

Building, maintaining, attending or using a fire, campfire, charcoal, coal or wood stove. The use of pressurized liquid or gas stoves, lanterns and heaters meeting safety specifications are allowed.
Smoking, except within enclosed vehicles or buildings.
Use of explosives.
Operating a chainsaw.
Welding or operating acetylene or other torch with open flame.
Possessing or using any motorized vehicle on Forest Service OHV trails, including Hayfield Draw, Sheridan Mountain/Smith Mesa, and Alto Pit OHV areas.
Possessing, discharging or using any kind of firework or other pyrotechnic device.
Discharging a firearm, air rifle, or gas gun.
Dispersed Camping is prohibited on all Forest Service land with the Bradshaw Ranger. .
The following closures are in effect on the Verde Ranger District:

Forest Trails 114, 108, 105 and 104 which begin on the rim of Mingus Mountain and end on Forest Road 413
Beginning from the junction of Highway 260 and County Road 75, west to Forest Service Road (FSR) 132; northwest along FSR 132 to the section line between sections 25 and 26, Township 15 N, Range 3 East; north along the section line to FSR 413; north on FSR 413 to Highway 89A northeast to the Forest boundary; follow the boundary east and southerly along the private property boundary to the intersection with Highway 260; south on Highway 260 to the junction with County Road 75.
EXEMPTIONS:

The residents and guests may enter the closed areas when traveling directly to and from their private properties.
Camping is permitted at the following developed recreations sites on the Bradshaw Ranger District:
Lynx Lake Campground
Groom Creek Horse Camp Campground
Hilltop Campground
Upper Wolf Creek Group Campground
Lower Wolf Creek Campground
Yavapai Campground
Granite Basin Group Campground
White Spar Campground
Hazlett Hollow Campground
Turney Gulch Group Campground
Discharge of firearms permitted within the Granite Basin shooting area.
The restrictions will remain in effect until forest officials determine that conditions have changed sufficiently to reduce the risk of a human-caused wildfire. Violation of these prohibitions is punishable by a fine of not more than $5,000, imprisonment of not more than 6 months, or both.

The public is reminded that day-use and developed recreation sites forest wide will remain open. Dispersed camping will be allowed on the Chino Valley Ranger District and the Verde Ranger District, except in the closure area. Please help keep our forests free from fires for the duration of this fire season.

For current information on fire restrictions, closures or wildfires on the Prescott National Forest, call 928-777-5799.

For further information about fire restrictions on public lands in Arizona and New Mexico, call toll free 1-877-864-6985 or visit http://gacc.nifc.gov/swcc/ .

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier