FJ60 E-ROD Swap - SRMINT - Stoffregen Motorsports

Sorting out the final assembly details. Hoses, wiring, fasteners, etc.

The bright fasteners I am using come from Overland Metric. They are not exact copies of OEM Toyota hardware, but they are damn close, and the price is fair.

New driveshafts going in. I had to wait while the driveline shop (Adco Drivelines in Shingle Springs) sourced OEM u-joints. They are so much better than the Spicer replacements.

The figuring out what to do for the VSS. The company I buy them from had their machinist pass away, so they sold me what they could, but I was still missing the 17 tooth reluctor ring. My friend Jim Christiansen, former owner of Inchworm gear, cut me a steel reluctor ring on his water jet, but I had to form it into shape.

This is the finished reluctor ring, just before final installation.

Doing a little R&D. These throttle pedal brackets are going into limited production soon, along with a couple other time consuming brackets. I won't be selling them, but they will make my installations go much quicker.

Speaking of brackets, the ECM bracket is one of the other ones I mentioned. Tucked up into the dash is the best place for the ECM, but does require partial dash removal to get it in and out.

Onto the tach. On previous jobs, I had tried to have the OEM FJ60/62 tachs modified with a new gauge face, and new/modified electronics. The first shop I used left me with a beautiful but non functioning tach, and cost me $480. The second shop I tried was Classic Instruments, but they wanted about $1500 per tach. Then I decided to give Speedhut a try. Their tachs are very compact, utilize modern electronics, are programmable, and can be ordered with custom art, as you will see in the pics below. ANd the best part? They only cost $135 bucks.

Here's the back of the cluster.

Carefully centered and depth spaced, the new bracket is another one of those I will produce in limited numbers.

Installed pic.

I don't know who came up with the design for the modern single DIN stereo mounting sleeve, but it is brilliant...if you like easy installation and head unit that shakes when you hit bumps int he road. The OEM mounting is the only way to go, but I am not aware of any conversion brackets for aftermarket stereos. So I make them...

This head unit is Sirius XM capable, and the Sirius adapter has to be mounted somewhere, so why not make it as secure as the new head unit?

The devil is in the details. We all know that. Figuring out solutions for some of these details can be difficult, as the sky's the limit.

The shifter for the t-case hit the floor. This happens because the motor position has been shifted slightly. A simple heat and bend, along with a new coat of paint, puts the shifter back in the right place.

Getting the modified fuel level sending unit to read properly can also be time consuming. This one didn't even work, so after a quick inspection, I found that the yellow wire coming out of it was broken inside the insulation. Wire fixed, the sending unit arm was bent into shape, and the reisitor coil was cleaned. Now the gauge reads as it should.

More brackets and wiring pics.

More new parts.

We ditched the old 16" aluminum wheels and BFG MTs in favor of new OEM 17" FJ Cruiser wheels and BFG ATs. I like the look of steelies.

We also wanted to try out some aftermarket FJ62 style door mirrors. While they don't look exactly like the FJ62 mirrors, these are pretty freakin cheap, and look very nice. The only complaint I have is that they shake a little bit at freeway speeds.

So the real update is that the truck is all but finished. We had some problems getting the A/C cooling fan wiring sorted out. When the electric fans come on, it sets a trouble code with the ECM. We tried isolating the fan relays with diodes, but we're still working out the bugs.

Another huge hurdle is the emissions certification. I am at the mercy of "the system" on this, so I have not yet had it inspected, but I am confident that we will pass. It runs and drives beautifully and stops on a dime with great brake pedal feel. It really hauls ass too... not that I want to highlight that aspect, after all, that's not the main reason for doing this swap, but it is a nice side benefit!

I need to take more finished pics for you guys, so stay tuned. Thanks.

Awesome build..!!!!
Good luck with the REF...!!

Thank you. I have the ref appointment next week. I've been very careful to follow the guidelines to the letter, and I've even made friends with a local ref supervisor who lets me call him on his personal cell, so I think it's going to pass on the first try. If it doesn't...then plan b.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles