FJ60 LS Swap - From Oil Burner to Gas V8 - Stoffregen Motorsports

The truck is at My friend's A/C shop, JetAir in Shingle Springs, getting hoses and a final once over. We discovered it has a bad A/C amplifier and we've scoured the new parts market for a replacement to no avail. I did find a place in Canada that can repair it, but it won't be cheap. We have a few other options before we go that route though. I have a couple friends who I want to have look at it first.

In the meantime, I left out a few things that deserve to be shared.

The MBZ engine install resulted in the whole drivetrain being moved forward about 1.5", so I had to modify the tunnel cover to get it back to stock. Probably would have been easier to find a replacement, but either way, it's time spent.

I sent the tach out to get the electronics modified to interface with the new motor, and also to have a new face painted with a larger scale. They have sent me some proofs and we finally decided on a style, now I'm just waiting to see the delivery truck pull up with a box from APT Instruments.

Here's the stock gauge.

What's the new gauge going to look like? I'm keeping a lid on it until I get it back.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Such an incredible build. I lost a couple of cyclinders in my 2f and now looking at options.....this certainly is one. Thanks.

Such an incredible build. I lost a couple of cyclinders in my 2f and now looking at options.....this certainly is one. Thanks.

I love this truck so much that I'm going to build one for myself. I think I'll do an auto trans in mine. Thank you!

Amazing work. Thanks for bringing us along and thanks for the emails. I'm still looking at getting a swap done, the head gasket that was giving me problems has been fixed so I've bought myself some penny collecting time before I contact you.

Hey John. Thanks for watching. I'm still picking away at it, but it's going home in about a week. I do have plenty of updates for you guys too.
Let me know if you'd like more info on this build. The 5.3 really transforms the vehicle and I can't imagine owning a FJ60 without it.

Sorry for the delay in posting. The project is coming to an end and I have been very busy tidying up all the loose ends. I had considerable trouble with the A/C system wiring.

The A/C electrical system had previously been bypassed in a hasty repair. I diagnosed the A/C amplifier as the culprit and restored the factory wiring to it's original design. After doing some soldering on the A/C amplifier board, the truck went down to my friend Jon at Jet Air in Shingle Springs to have the hoses made and the system charged and checked. Well the electrical wasn't firing the compressor so I had some more thinking to do. On a whim, we tried the A/C amplifier out of his '85 Toyota pickup and the system fired up and worked flawlessly. So the amplifier is still not working properly. Sourcing an A/C amplifier for a '80s Land Cruiser is difficult to say the least. They are no longer available new and there is no aftermarket. Used units are out there, but at a price. I considered having this one professionally diagnosed and repaired, but the cost for that procedure is about $400. Weighing the options, and after talking with the owner, we decided that since the mini truck amplifier worked, we'd leave it. It doesn't fit into the slot like the original one does, but I'll deal with that before it goes home.

To add to the confusion, there are 4 different amplifiers for FJ60's. So really, I don't even know if the one that was in the truck when it came here is the right one for the truck. Better to find out for sure before we spend $400 on repairing it.

There are still a few options for a more permanent repair. The GM ECU is capable of firing and controlling the A/C compressor, so if anything goes wrong after the truck goes home, we've decided to explore the GM electronics as a permanent fix.

Anyway, here's a couple pics of the A/C amplifier. The one with the green connector housing is the FJ60 unit, and the one with the white housing is from the mini truck.

Someone had snipped a resistor out of the board. Luckily Fry's had the right resistor so I soldered it in place, but it did not do the trick. Must be something else wrong with this amplifier.

I told you I had something in store for the tach. Here it is!

The original face only read about 4300 RPM, so we had to change the scale on the face. We decided to go to 7000 RPMs, but I added a personal touch. Check it out.

Deciding on a style hinged upon the small size of the gauge itself. The artist at APT Instruments came up with a few options, so deciding was tough. Ultimately, we left the "RPM x 1000" off the face, as it's pretty obvious. Here are a few of the rendering I had to chose from.

Still have a few things to button up. The front end had a slight shimmy which finally produced a small death wobble. Any death wobble is unacceptable in my work, so the truck went on the lift for a compete inspection. I had already rebuilt the axle with new trunion bearings and new wheel bearings, the TRE's were already new when he dropped the truck off, and so were the leaf spring bushings. Nothing was wrong, but there was a tiny bit of play in the steering box, which actually produced a clunk when the steering wheel was rocked back and forth.

One of the things I didn't like about this truck from the start was the slow steering ratio. Apparently the FJ60 and FJ80 have different ratios, the FJ80 box being quicker, so I called around to find a rebuilt FJ80 box. I'm sorry, but I am not paying $1200 for a steering box...

Looking on car-part.com, I found a rebuilt FJ80 box, here in my area, and it was only $480, core charge included. I snatched it up quick. It will be going on today and hopefully the death wobble will be gone. If it still persists, there is one design feature of the shackle reversal kit already on the truck that can be improved. The design of the installed kit utilizes the original spring mount and mounts a shackle to it. The problem there is that the leverage produced by the short shackle on the bushing allows for substantial side to side movement of the rear of the leaf springs. If I cut the original mount off and relocate it higher on the frame, or ditch it completely in favor of a through the frame shackle mount, the leverage on the bushing will be diminished allowing the bushing to do its job.

Hopefully I don't have to go there, but it should be a simple fix.

More later.

Thanks Ollie!

So the Cruiser is gone. Actually on it's way home as we speak. I am compiling the remaining photos and uploading them to Photobucket now, but I had one question for you guys.

The truck came to me with 4.88's in the diffs, and we left them so he could figure out for himself if they would work out. Turns out, he wants to gear it down (numerically lower gears). I figured if we dropped to 4.10's, we'd also drop 470 RPM's in 5th gear. I don't want to go any lower than 4.10's because he does use the truck off-road, but not in the crawling sense.

Do you guys have any thoughts on what's too low (again, numerically) for a FJ60 on roughly 34 inch tires, with a modern V8?

Mileage is a concern for him, so in addition to the re-gearing, we may play around with the EFI tuning.

macgyver_ga

Adventurer
Alright... between here and Facebook (I commented on your photos over the weekend), I think you've convinced me that the LS is the way to go in a 60.

Now to find a decent 60 for a reasonable price. Or maybe even a 62 and convert the front end to a 60 front end (I'm not really a fan of the square headlights).

What 5spd trans is that truck running?

I think that's a wise choice. Personally, I love this truck and the next build I do for myself is going to be this exact build. Maybe I'll use a 4L60E auto...

Using a FJ62 to start might be a good idea too, as there are subtle differences/improvements. The one thing I really do like about the FJ60, vs the FJ62, is the dash. The newer 62 dash doesn't really do it for me.

We've got a H55F trans in it now. 5th gear ratio is .845, and it's got a really low 1st.

What's your username on FB?

There's always a mile long list of finishing touches needed to finish a project. We took a few moments to tidy up some wiring, add a few circuits for future accessories, I re-sealed all the heater ducting connections, using foam tape, made sure nothing rattled anywhere, etc. We also installed some 3 point seat belts in the rear, though not of the retractable variety. A new dome light went in as well. Like I said, detail stuff.

Don't you just love the interior of this truck? It's all been redone in leather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles