Flashlight

Need a recommendation on a good flashlight, I see these " military grade" g 700 flashlights being pushed on the internet. Are they any good? I would like a really powerful light but see paying north of 75$ for one any recommendations? I thought about sure fire and fenix?

WininUtah

Adventurer
I like my Surefires for in my vehicles and I have a very inexpensive Chinese knock off for my go to at home. I think the CR123 batteries are becoming more common, you can get them anywhere but they don't last long if you run the light on full power. My China light takes the 18650 rechargeable battery and it cost $18.00 from Amazon with 2 batteries and a charger!

Last edited:

shogun

Adventurer
The 123 battery is obsolete when you consider the energy content vs runtime vs cost. They run great but its time has passed. The best option these days are the 18650 batteries. Rechargeable with much higher energy capacity. I have never been a fan of rechargeables but these are a game changer. Even without recharging they have more power and longer runtime than a 123.

Some of the surefires can be made to fit the 18650. A great option is the Nitecore MH12. It can run with 123s if needed but the 18650s work well and its USB rechargeable. Lots of light if needed or a great nightlight at low. Generally findable around $60-70.

eaneumann

Adventurer
Have have multiple Streamlight Strion flashlights. I've seen them new on eBay for under $100. Rechargable, compact, and very powerful. They also have a high lumen version, more money of course. Easily my favorite light.

oregon213

Observer
I've got some nice lights (Surefires and an awesome elzetta), but I've moved over to streamlights for nearly everything now.

The polytac is a great light for the money. I carry it on my best at work and have a spare in my duty bag. I can usually find them for ~$35 shipped on Amazon.

At that price, I can afford to have two in my truck. I bought one of the right angle style ones recently - I don't like the construction quiet as much as the standard poly tax, but it's got a nice clip for hanging which could be nice for use as a work light.

If you're set on getting one nice light, I really really like my elzetta. I like it so much I don't carry it at work anymore because I'd hate to lose it. I dropped it down a storm drain while "dealing" with a guy. It was on, and stayed on under the 6ish inches of murky water while I pulled the grate to get it. It's (post-sanitiziation) now my nightstand light.

98OzarksRunner

Adventurer
I have 3 or 4 Streamlight ProTac 2L lights and they are great. My oldest is about 5 years old. They use CR123s, but the battery life is good, and they are very bright, rugged, and small. They run $50-65, depending on where you find them.

greggNJ

Observer
I have 3 or 4 Streamlight ProTac 2L lights and they are great. My oldest is about 5 years old. They use CR123s, but the battery life is good, and they are very bright, rugged, and small. They run $50-65, depending on where you find them.

I'll second that. I've had mine for a it 1.5 yrs. and I use it every night when I walk my dogs. I'm planning to get another.

jazz77

I have several Eagletac flashlights which I love. Several people at my dept have them and I've seen them used underwater as a searchlight, used as a weapon, dropped on the road and ran constantly and hold up.

K2ZJ

Explorer
I have one of these: TerraLUX TLF-3002AA-BK LightStar300 3-Watt LED

If you are looking for a light that has a wide and VERY even beam, no hot spot, this is the one. It is bright and I have used it for over a year. I have taken it hunting multiple time, it has been banged around in the car and truck on many trips and it has held up well.

Longrange308

Adventurer
A good test of flash lights is to put them in the freezer for a couple of days.. I have an outdoor freezer that is set at -20F, and I found that I had one WML that got very dim at those temps. It was an InForce..

Then again, I live where it can potentially get close to that cold and I visit places that do get that cold, so I test them all, because I never know when I will need a light that was sitting and freezing in my truck overnight...

My surefires, pelicans and streamlights all took the cold just fine though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94