Flashlights advice

MOAK

Adventurer
Interesting, we used to drag flashlights around with us everywhere we went, and, never used them. Once you have a headlamp you’ll never want to use anything else. BTW, I used to use Maglight flashlights in my former life as they were the premier flashlight on the market, so I dutifully purchased a small mag-light to keep in the cruiser. It’s the little one, uses two AA batteries.. twist it to turn off and on.. sadly Mag-lite fell way behind the curve as it is a piece of junk.

drrobinson

Another vote for Fenix.

I have 7 different models for different uses. All are excellent. I standardize on 18650 batteries and some of mine run in two CR123 as an option.

I own expensive Surefire’s, an Olight, and a lot of old mag lights, but you just can’t beat the value of Fenix.

I would suggest you not worry about the internal rechargeable features ( typically micro USB). I have a. Nicore D4 charger that handles everything I throw at it. I have a few of the Fenix 18650 3500mah batteries with the built in micro usb, but honestly I usually just throw them in the Nicore charger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: WVI

ducktapeguy

Adventurer
I actually started to like the using the usb chargers vs. an external charger. A lot less weight and bulk to carry when travelling, and a USB cable is so commonplace now you can find chargers everywhere. I'm typically carrying a power pack for other electronics or in a car so finding a USB port is never an issue. Also, it eliminates the problem of finding out that you brought your light but the battery is sitting in the charger back home.

O-light has a nice magnetic charger that attaches to the end of the light, it's convenient because you just need to wave your light near the charging and it automatically connects. The only problem is it uses a proprietary battery with both negative and positive on the same end. My thrunite has the standard USB cable port which is less convenient in use but I don't have to carry anything special to charge it.

Darby Darrow

Observer
I am loving my SureFire Stiletto! Light weight, flat rather than round, USB charge, two on/off switches, 3 light modes and will clip onto the bill of a baseball cap for an impromptu headlamp!

obchristo

I sold various mid range and up lights for many years at the outdoor company I worked for as a Saleperson, Store Manager and Buyer. That being said, I am another fan of headlamps and flashlights that use AAA or AA rechargables. I have a bunch of Sanyo Eneloops (low discharge) in all my various lights and have a 4 pack of each in the little plastic carrying case in my glovebox in case I need to swap out. Really hard to go wrong with a Black Diamond Spot Headlamp in whatever lumens it now puts out. Bright enough for a good range throw but can be dimmed enough to read a book or work on a cut or splinter up close.

another_mike

Adventurer
BTW, these are great and go on sale under $20.00 every so often.

Just bought another one of these, I dropped my last one (and not from very high either) and it stopped working. The newer one is great! You can switch out the heads between a string of LEDs, a typical flashlight beam, and a small led on a flexible shaft for seeing into small areas. Very happy with it.. although I typically don't bring it along while "camping"

The typical flashlight I use for typical stuff is a Streamlight, similar to this one: https://www.streamlight.com/en/products/detail/index/stinger-ds-led Although, mine is older and doesn't have high/low. But I have both AC and DC chargers for it, so its perfect for my camping setup... having 105ah of usable battery power and a 300watt solar panel on the roof.

Since I recently bought an electric Makita chainsaw, and ill be bringing Makita batteries with me from now on... I might starting bringing something like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-...n-Flashlight-Flashlight-Only-DML807/206636187

I also have a cheap three AAA headlamp that I always bring, although really thinking of replacing that with a rechargeable model soon. In the summer I typically hike a 14er or two and need a headlamp for when I start out at 4am and its dark.

Boatbuilder79

I have a collection or dewalt and ryobi worklights I use.

Ryobi stuff will work with dewalt batteries if you get an adapter.

Also got the vehicle charger which hurt to spend the money on at the time but now don’t see how I got by without.

WVI

Adventurer
another-mike, I may have to use a 20% coupon and get one of those. I have a few cheap HF lights stuck in my van.
Boatbuilder, I didn't know they made adaptors for the lights and batteries. Thanks for mentioning this.

craig333

Expedition Leader
I sold various mid range and up lights for many years at the outdoor company I worked for as a Saleperson, Store Manager and Buyer. That being said, I am another fan of headlamps and flashlights that use AAA or AA rechargables. I have a bunch of Sanyo Eneloops (low discharge) in all my various lights and have a 4 pack of each in the little plastic carrying case in my glovebox in case I need to swap out. Really hard to go wrong with a Black Diamond Spot Headlamp in whatever lumens it now puts out. Bright enough for a good range throw but can be dimmed enough to read a book or work on a cut or splinter up close.
Yes, Sanyo Eneloops. AA's. Only way to go. Just be careful not to get carried away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles