Flatbed Escape Pod

boblynch

Adventurer
The folks at Northstar have revealed a new truck camper model which incorporates an aluminum Ute flatbed. http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/

The interesting thing is that they’ve used a flatbed floor plan rather than their normal slide-in floor plan (with storage boxes added underneath). This opens up many new floor plan options. Their initial plan calls for two pop-up floor plans and two hard-side floor plans, with additional models to follow.

These types of units have been sold by Northstar in Australia for years. It’s nice to see them available as a domestic option.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the link, Bob.

I love the concept, but think I would have chosen something a little bigger than a Chevy Colorado for the chassis...

boblynch

Adventurer
Lynn said:
I love the concept, but think I would have chosen something a little bigger than a Chevy Colorado for the chassis...

I agree. However, since they already offer these for Oz, it's a low cost way to test the market. If it goes well they could easily offer a modified version of one of their larger models on a full size Ute tray.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
It looks like a direct transfer from OZ since the camper door is on what would be in the USA, the driver's side.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
mog said:
It looks like a direct transfer from OZ since the camper door is on what would be in the USA, the driver's side.

Don't know how I missed that.

I wonder if they just used on of the AUS models for the press release?

theMec

Adventurer
I'm sure that is over the Colorado's payload - especially wet & loaded for a trip. Good idea though. Nice to see US mfg'ers moving in a different direction.

chet

island Explorer
I wouldn't think so I have seen lots of colorado's with slide in campers on them up here.

haven

Expedition Leader
Nice find!

It's great news that Northstar are planning to distribute their tray-top designs in USA. Northstar has been selling campers in Australia for several years. Their representative Down Under is Freedom Off Road. I suspect the unit in the photos is one designed for Australia.

The tray-top camper would fit on any truck with an appropriate size tray and a suitable GVWR. I think they selected the Colorado as the platform because you can order one at a Chevy dealership with the Ute Ltd aluminum bed and SuperSpring helper springs installed.

Here's a Northstar pop-up camper designed to slide into a pickup bed.

nortstarflatbed.jpg

And here's the hardside camper designed for the tray-top.

northstar-escape-pod.jpg

You can see all the extra storage space that the tray-top design gains. This is particularly important in a smaller camper designed for a medium-size pickup like the Colorado.

I will be interested to see if the Northstar Escape Pod pop-up camper is much lighter than the hard side models.

Now, how much is Chevy planning to charge for the V8 version of the Colorado?

Chip Haven

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
That's exactly what i've been looking for, but as others have mentioned, a fullsize version would be nice.
It is nice to see things are going in a positive direction though. :D

boblynch

Adventurer
The Adam Blaster said:
That's exactly what i've been looking for, but as others have mentioned, a fullsize version would be nice.
It is nice to see things are going in a positive direction though. :D

Northstar will sell you any of their US slide-in models as a flatbed. They simply fill in the sides with built-in exterior storage. The pics below show a Igloo 9.5 model and an 850 popup model, both mounted on a F250 with flatbed. For details on the US models check their website. You could order one of these today.

I've been working with them off and on for about a year on a possible flatbed unit. They've been very patient. I started a new business and had to put the project on hold.

The interesting thing with the news release this week is their move towards adding models for the US that use a true flatbed design. This opens up a bunch of interior layout options that a slide-in layout can't accomodate. I'll be very curious to see how this is received.

IGLOO on tray.jpg rod_f250_tray_850sc.jpg

haven

Expedition Leader
You're right, Bob. It will be interesting to see how Northstar
takes advantage of the new "open floorplan" that the flatbed
allows.

For one, I prefer the entry door to be on the curb side rather
than the rear. The low pressure area at the rear of the truck
causes all the road dirt, dust and rain to be plastered against
the back of the vehicle. Moving the door to the side also allows
two spare tires to be mounted at the rear.

Chip Haven

dhackney

Expedition Leader
haven said:
For one, I prefer the entry door to be on the curb side rather
than the rear. The low pressure area at the rear of the truck
causes all the road dirt, dust and rain to be plastered against
the back of the vehicle. Moving the door to the side also allows
two spare tires to be mounted at the rear.

Chip Haven

We've been living full time in a camper with a rear door for the last 22 months and I cannot agree with you more. The rear entry is a constant, daily pain with the amount of road grime, dust, mud, etc. that collects there. A side entry would be much more pleasant to live with full time.

For short-term use, i.e., vacations or a month or two, a rear entry wouldn't be that big of a deal. In full time, everyday life, it adds daily work that is not welcome at the end of a long day on tough roads.

Otherwise, the space available in the camper is OK for two people. We met a French family with three kids and a dog who have been living full time in their camper for about a year. I don't know if I could handle that. :)

The additional floor plan options of a flatbed design would open up a whole new world of possibilities for the available footprint.

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
boblynch said:
The interesting thing with the news release this week is their move towards adding models for the US that use a true flatbed design. This opens up a bunch of interior layout options that a slide-in layout can't accomodate. I'll be very curious to see how this is received.

That's what i would be looking for. I want more room INSIDE the unit for living/sleeping space.
Personally, I'd like something very well built that is mass-produced and easily sellable. For my needs, I'm looking at a setup like a quad-cab p/u that can comfortably seat 2 adults and 3 youths, with room in the living area to sleep everyone.
The option is always there to find something like quad-cab Fuso or similar commercial type vehicle and build a shell and finish the interior on it just how i want.
Cool project, but expensive and time consuming. And can you sell it later to recoup some of your expenses? Usually tough to get your money back out of a project like that.

boblynch

Adventurer
Northstar has completed the US model in time for the RVIA industry show in Louisville, Kentucky next week. The earlier pics were the Aussie variety. The US version has the bathroom and door on the passenger side. No specs released yet.

If any ExPo members are going to the show, I'd really appreciate any first hand impressions and pics.

Bob

esp2-1ext1.jpg esp2-2ext2.jpg

trailrider71

@ the show

Bob,
Twas @ the Louisville show.Inspected the Pod and was very impressed by it.There is a big advantage to building a purpose built flatbed unit versus a truck camper mounted on a flatbed with storage in the cutouts for the fenderwells.
The floorspace is much greater than a traditional truck camper.This truck had a fullsize type unit on it.It seemed pretty solid when walking around in it w/ 3 grown men.The super springs make a differance.
It was equipped w/ 3 way fridge,cassette toilet,shower,H2o heater,Dometic sink and stove,Seitz thermal windows,A/C,power convertor and more.Selling price was around $50K.
This unit was going to East End Campers on Long Island,NY
Ask for Bill Penney.

Sean @ www.go-anywhere.us

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz