Fleece jackets...

Storz

Explorer
I've had Wind Stopper jackets by Sierra Designs, Mamut, and Patagonia and have been the most happy with my latest Patagonia jacket

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I already have an Arc'teryx Beta AR soft shell and an REI Taku shell. Both of which are very effective at blocking wind. I want a fleece as a mid layer and something to wear on calm days. Mostly I want something thats light and can be compressed in a backpack.
Many of Arc'teryx's items are "athletic" cut. I think the typical form for an Arc'teryx jacket is a 6'1, 165 pound alpinist with a 30" waist. For that reason, I don't buy much Arc'teryx for the store. That and the prices are a tad nutty.

The Monkey Man is MT Hardware's number one selling piece. I think it's a great piece, but that sort of fleece really needs a shell over it when even a cool wind blows. Something like a softshell might be a better piece. Their Apex Bionic softshell is a huge seller for us in AZ.

My new go-to is the Arc'teryx Atom jacket. Super light insulation.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
the best I have ever owned is Arc'teryx, I have 3 of them now. They are simply high quality gear, last the longest and keep you the warmest. You get what you pay for. You have to know how to size them though is you buy online.

For a good bang for the buck, hard to beat North Face. I have a pretty beefy North Face fleece I use for work or getting dirty in since it was only $150. It is tough and will last you many years of hard use. Mountain Hardware and Marmot are also good.

I have a bunch of Burton fleeces. Generally of high quality but sometimes things like zippers fail way to soon or the stretch out funky and don't fit right. They also change their line up nearly every year.

I buy almost everything on Ebay because if you know how to size things you get really killer deals on gear. $400 fleece Arc'teryx jackets for well under $200.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier