Flemster's 22 Ram 3500 Build - Sherpa Edition

It sounds like you got the TSB taken care of for the front driveshaft, but not sure since you said "recalls". I took my '22 to the dealer in Northern Arizona for the grid relay recall. Had them look at the front drive shaft telling them the exact wording of the TSB. They called me later and told me it was a steering intermediate shaft, asked who put on the lift, etc. (Of note, it is a 2.25" lift in the front consisting of coils, extended bump stops, longer shocks, and a longer HD track bar.) I told them that I ran into a TSB on the front drive shaft when doing research and asked them to check it out. I also asked why the "ratcheting or clicking" only happened in 4wd and not 2wd if it was steering related. Later that day when picking up the truck they told me they ordered the replacement front drive shaft, but their tech didn't think that would solve the issue.

I had him show me the part in the catalog that they diagnosed as the issue (prior to my informing them of the TSB). The tech said the intermediate shaft in the steering column was fully extended and shouldn't be like that.

I inspected once home to see if there was any validity in what the tech said. The steering box is hard mounted to the frame, and ALL suspension items lifted were below the frame (frame to axle). Then I noticed the extension section above a u-joint bend in the shaft connecting the steering wheel to the steering box. The extension is what RAM designed into the steering shaft so that the steering wheel would collapse in a front end collision instead of impaling the driver. OF COURSE IT WAS FULLY EXTENDED. Not to mention, no tooling or other inspection marks indicated that the boot was never opened up (as stated) to show the gearing inside all messed up (funny my steering has absolutely no play in it at all).

Dealer called to tell me the drive shaft arrived and to schedule an appointment. At the appointment drop off I pulled the service writer over and showed him my findings. He was tight lipped and quiet. Later that day when I picked up the truck he walked me out to the truck where no one was around and apologies for any misdiagnosis and said he was so pissed at his tech, that he should have known about the TSB, etc., etc.

That weekend we needed to go into 4 low to descend a steep hill with an S turn. Not a creak or peep so the TSB worked. I haven't closed the loop with the service writer but will the next time I am there.

In short - capability and willingness to take care of the customer varies greatly by dealer (as you have experienced) and you've ruled one dealership off of your list. It shouldn't be that way, but it is with anything. We are human, and we are fallible.

Now you have me worrying about my Aisin transmission as we're only sitting at between 8 and 9k. It's always something isn't it?
Thank you so much for sharing this experience and giving me the confidence that the issue is the driveshaft. They did not end up doing the driveshaft which is fine. They did however do my missing DPF sensor and the grid heater relay. I will try my other local dealer and likely be showing your experience to them if they give me fuss. That said, you should look into your open recalls as I believe most trucks potentially affected by the trans issue have an open recall for it. I ended up having one on my VIN but was not made aware of it.

ramblinChet

It sounds like you got the TSB taken care of for the front driveshaft, but not sure since you said "recalls". I took my '22 to the dealer in Northern Arizona for the grid relay recall. Had them look at the front drive shaft telling them the exact wording of the TSB. They called me later and told me it was a steering intermediate shaft, asked who put on the lift, etc. (Of note, it is a 2.25" lift in the front consisting of coils, extended bump stops, longer shocks, and a longer HD track bar.) I told them that I ran into a TSB on the front drive shaft when doing research and asked them to check it out. I also asked why the "ratcheting or clicking" only happened in 4wd and not 2wd if it was steering related. Later that day when picking up the truck they told me they ordered the replacement front drive shaft, but their tech didn't think that would solve the issue.

I had him show me the part in the catalog that they diagnosed as the issue (prior to my informing them of the TSB). The tech said the intermediate shaft in the steering column was fully extended and shouldn't be like that.

I inspected once home to see if there was any validity in what the tech said. The steering box is hard mounted to the frame, and ALL suspension items lifted were below the frame (frame to axle). Then I noticed the extension section above a u-joint bend in the shaft connecting the steering wheel to the steering box. The extension is what RAM designed into the steering shaft so that the steering wheel would collapse in a front end collision instead of impaling the driver. OF COURSE IT WAS FULLY EXTENDED. Not to mention, no tooling or other inspection marks indicated that the boot was never opened up (as stated) to show the gearing inside all messed up (funny my steering has absolutely no play in it at all).

Dealer called to tell me the drive shaft arrived and to schedule an appointment. At the appointment drop off I pulled the service writer over and showed him my findings. He was tight lipped and quiet. Later that day when I picked up the truck he walked me out to the truck where no one was around and apologies for any misdiagnosis and said he was so pissed at his tech, that he should have known about the TSB, etc., etc.

That weekend we needed to go into 4 low to descend a steep hill with an S turn. Not a creak or peep so the TSB worked. I haven't closed the loop with the service writer but will the next time I am there.

In short - capability and willingness to take care of the customer varies greatly by dealer (as you have experienced) and you've ruled one dealership off of your list. It shouldn't be that way, but it is with anything. We are human, and we are fallible.
Do you have a PDF of the TSB or associated link to share?

Trestle

It may have been this one. I don't see my paperwork anywhere. TSB (03-003-23) is supposedly specific to the '22 3500, so not sure if there is carry over.

Clrussell

I actually really want a tray for my rig but the cost is holding me back. That is Matt from Off Grid 4x4's truck, he is a MITS Alloy dealer and an overall overland truck building extraordinaire.

The cons are definitely there, the bed height increases so running a slide-in camper or similar the overall height is taller, but for me, I'll likely do a tray and canopy with a pass-through to a rooftop tent when I can make the financial leap to do so. It'll be perfect for camping, working, and racing. Easy to change up what I'm packing and using the bed for.

The other downside is bedsides and a tailgate are nice to have, but most trays you can get sides and a tailgate if you wanted if you plan to run it as just a bed.

Pros are all the functionality, water tank, storage boxes under the bed, larger bed space going from 6'4" to 7', side loading with a forklift if you're running an empty bed, and overall strength as well. You don't feel as bad bumping a tray off a tree or rock as a bedside. Plus it can handle impacts much better.

My LBZ Duramax had a simple DIY flatbed that I made and I loved it.

View attachment 796189View attachment 796190View attachment 796188

Do you have anymore info on this truck?? I love the simplicity and would like to steal some
Of the front bumper design..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior