Flexopower 79W flat panel

spikemd

Explorer
My Flexopower 78W foldable solar panel arrived today and my first impressions are very favorable. It is very robust and while heavier than expected, it folds down smaller than expected. The thicker material over the Powerfilm 60 watt will be good in the wind to keep it flat.

I am planning on testing it vs the Powerfilm 60 Watt in conjunction with my Goal Zero Yeti 400s. One of the reasons I chose the thin-film tech over monocrystalline is its superior output if there is any shade. Simply putting a hand over a 100w monocrystalline panel drops output over 80% while only dropping thin-film about 20%. This requires you to be constantly moving the solid panels for sun unless in the desert. The other reason is space. This Flexopower panel folds up to 1/4 the size of a 100w solid panel and is much easier to store in the vehicle.

Can't wait to test it out in some real world conditions with my ARB 50qt and a 69L dual zone fridge.

20170906_143753.jpg

20170906_143735.jpg

spikemd

Explorer
I have seen those cheap Chinese panels on ebay but my experience is that they never get close to their stated wattage. In addition, those are mono crystalline panels in a foldable design so will drop off wattage considerably in any shade.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles