Flip Pac VS Four Wheel pop up camper

Outback

Explorer
Hello,
I am in the process of building an expedition rig (2005 Dodge Power Wagon) for local and some over seas expeditions. For 2008 we are planning a trip to Morocco. My question to you all is which do you prefer a Flip Pac or Four Wheel pop up camper. I have seen and been in both and really like them. Each has its strengths and weaknesses. But I have not spent alot of time in either. Nor have I slept in either. I really like the lighter weight of the Flip Pac which right off the bat is a huge advantage. But there are other considerations I am sure of that I am not aware of at the moment. Any help would be appreciated.

Scott Brady

Founder
Trips less than one week with a family- Flipac
Trips longer than one week with a family- 4Wheel

The longer the trip, the greater the importance of integration, storage, simplicity and all weather capability. Flipac is great for the solo traveler or hard core couple. For a family, I think you need the ease of set-up, hard roof, galley, etc.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

I know you only listed two types in your post............

(....and I'm not trying to take away from Scott's post above, as I agree with him.)

Between the Flip~Pac and the FWC.............I would choose the FWC.

I've never had a camper. But if I had a full size truck I would consider this unit.

I know it's bigger and heavier than both of those you listed. But I do like the availability of the on board bathroom with shower.....and it seems perfect for really long trips! So lets put it in the "Long Expedition" category. (or....poor man's Earth Roamer)

If I were doing LONG Trips..........and especially like in a foreign country.....I would consider these pop~tops.

I'm sure these units would work best with a full size with Diesel.

The downside is......they are not cheap.

http://www.off-road.com/ford/camp/outfitter/intro/

title_title.jpg

rightcornerscenictopup.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Outback

Explorer
The main trip we are preparing for is to Morocco. It would be just me and the wife. I should have stated that before. I see all the Rovers with the roof mounted tents and feel this Flip Pac idea is just the next progression of that idea. Are the Flip Pacs Heavy Duty? I felt Vinces was well made but since I wasnt in the market for one back then (Mojave trip) I really didnt check it out to closley. I am still waiting to hear back from the guide service what the durations will be out in the Sahara. I feel it will be quite extended at one point or another. I do know that some nice Moroccan rugs will be used for the entry area regardless of the camper chosen. All of my fuel will be under the bed of the truck in custom made fuel tanks. Water will be stored in both sides of the truck bed also in custom made storage tanks. That is all I really have planned for now. I dont want to go over my GVRW so weight is a huge considerations and also the fact that this is a route finding expedition means I need to keep the weight low and my 4x4 capability high. I do like that camper though but I dont think that will work for this trip. I also need to be able to load everything into a storage container for the trip to Morocco.

Last edited:

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Tough, tough call.

I was shopping for either, in good used condition and wound up with a FWC because that's what came available first. Had I found a similar deal on a FlipPac, I would have gone that route. Based on a morning crawling around Vince's FlipPac and my own experience with my FWC here's what I can offer -

I would rather have the headroom of the FlipPac. I can't do in the FWC, what he's doing here.

I would rather have the solid roof of the FWC in inclement weather

I like the galley but what I really wanted was to be able to sit up at a table inside at the end of the day

I like the ability to customize your own interior in a FlipPac for a fraction of what you can outfit a FWC for

I like having a heater in the FWC

I like that when I'm not using the FWC, I can take it off and leave it in the driveway with all of my camping equipment in one place, ready to go. With mounted jack stands you could leave the camper in camp and take the Power Wagon to town for an ice cream

I like that a new FlipPac is about 1/3 the cost of a new FWC

I like that the FlipPac, from a short distance looks like a regular truck topper. I look like a guy searching for a KOA with a camper on my truck

I like that you're getting a Hemi and that makes the unloaded weight difference between the two negligible. Depending how you load up, one could weigh more than the other

I like that the engineers at FWC did the work for me so now I don't have to figure out where I'll put my water tank, propane bottle, sink, heat source, fridge, etc.

I like that the FlipPac allows you to keep your tailgate. I have mine in storage and miss having that immediate workspace/placetoparkmyass

I like that the FWC has curtains and blinds available for privacy. I might even get some new, more butch looking curtains soon

I like that the FlipPac sleeping arraingement still allows for use of the entire floor. The pullout bed in a FWC covers half the available space when opened up.

I like the legacy of FWC from Turtle Expeditions taking them around the world

I like the lower profile of the FlipPac

I like the simplicity and strength of the FWC's mounting system

I like that the FlipPac allows for the entire back window and tailgate to open up over the Alice in Wonderland door of the FWC

....am I helping here?

oly884

kcowyo said:

Nicely done KC!

Mine choice was simple, FWC. It'll be here in a couple weeks. The reason being, I'm in Montana, and the weather can change in the tip of a hat. A tent would not be fun in snow, rain, high winds, etc.

Plus I'm going to be doing camping this winter (see: below zero temps) and with the furnace and the arctic pack on the FWC I'll be nice and cozy.

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
Outback;
I can't contribute too much since all I know about Flip-pac is what I have seen on this site. The biggest drawback to the Flip-pac from what I can see is the fabric roof. I would think that the Flip-pac would be a great alternative to a roof top tent, but not ideal in cold and/or wet weather (not a big problem in Morroco!)

kcowyo said:
I like that the FlipPac sleeping arraingement still allows for use of the entire floor. The pullout bed in a FWC covers half the available space when opened up.
KC;
For the Power Wagon, Outback would probably use a Hawk, or Granby, both are available with an extended bed to avoid the pullout bed issue.

Cheers
Mark

Outback

Explorer
WOW! Are you helping? You bet! Thanks guys you have made some valid points. Outbackamper you are correct about the lack of rain in Morocco. I will also be using it here. I wonder if they make a rainfly for it. Time to call Flip Pac. I also like the idea of designing my own interior. Vince has done an nice job. My water tanks are pretty much finished in my head. I need them to be built now. The storage with a Flip Pac can be accomplished with some drawer type tool boxes commercially available and will act as a step to the upper bed area. I do like though to cook outside of my vehicle. This is especially true in Bear country. Great tips. Thanks. I think I will go with a Flip Pac unless I hear something else to change my mind.

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
Outback said:
I do like though to cook outside of my vehicle. This is especially true in Bear country.

Your other option is to get a shell model 4WC. This would give you the avantages of the 4WC and the unfinished interior space to install your custom water tanks and other equipment. This is the route I went, since I also prefer to cook outside. Once you return from Morroco you could add a propane furnace, and other equipment if you want.

If you are interested, I have some pics of my set up on the Expedition Equipment for sale section of the forum.
Cheers
Mark

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
(I know next to nothing about either product having only seen a few of each and never having owned one)

What about dust? Wind and dust?

What about shipping? Will they fit in a container or will you have to ship them separately?

18seeds

Explorer
If you are looking at slide in campers like FWC then you are kind of opening a whole new world especially if you are driving a 3/4 ton truck. FWC is buy far not the cheapest on the market. They are more of a no-frills camper. Light weight is their huge advantage but as said before Oufitter Mfg offers a <1000lbs camper with better manufacturing IMO. With a 3/4 ton truck and if you want to get up to 1,300 lbs your options greatly increase. I have a Palomino B1200. You can def tell it is there. Other companies like lite-craft and phoenix offer stripped down "shell" models so you can customize it yourself.
Also for offroad use i would suggest bolting the camper down to the bed.
IMAGE_00068.jpg

WilderNest

We are making WilderNest Campers

Hi guys

Since this is a thread about Flip-Pac, I've decided to post a reply that is in relation to the topic. See if you guys are interested.

I'm posting about WilderNest Campers, a camper that is almost identical to the Flip-Pac. It is no longer produced, but our company is looking to manufacture it. We have looked at the WilderNest Campers, researched it, and loved it. We are familiar with the procedures that go into making the camper, and we are confident that we have the skills and resources that could bring it back to life. The new WilderNest Campers will provide good competition for Flip-Pac campers.

Please help us revive this wonderful product by filling out this short survey. It will take less than 2 minutes. Click here to take survey.

If you are interested in the launch of the product, please provide your email address at the bottom of the survey (optional) and we'll make sure you are the firsts to know.

We are excited.

P.S: Please forward this survey link to anyone who would be interested in the WilderNest Campers: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/LGBDN3L

Rando

Explorer
If you are serious about reanimating the Wildernest, this would be a great place to get some advice. I, and several other folks on this forum, own original wildernests, and in general have been very happy with them. I think there is certainly a market for a new Wildernest (and I would consider buying one) even with flip-pac being already on the market. Flip-pac has several issues that could be addressed with a new wildernest:

The marketing and customer service from FRP (who make the FP) is terrible at best.

The implementation of the rainfly on the FP leaves something to be desired, as does the non-breathable nature of the Wildernest. It would be great if a new version was made with waterproof breathable fabric for the walls at least.

The fiberglass part of the FP is rather ugly and is not the best for fuel economy. Besides the overhang in the back (which doesn't bother me) the Wildernest conforms to the trucks lines better.

The side flip is a plus or a minus depending on how you look at it.

shahram

Adventurer
WilderNest,

You might want to start a new thread dedicated to discussing your particular concerns and issues. I'm sure there are a lot of us who would love to deliberate ad nauseum about the subject of reviving WilderNest, and what might be done differently or kept the same.

I'm certainly interested, if only in the hopes of having replacement parts back on the market!

homemade

Adventurer
Hi guys

Since this is a thread about Flip-Pac, I've decided to post a reply that is in relation to the topic. See if you guys are interested.

I'm posting about WilderNest Campers, a camper that is almost identical to the Flip-Pac. It is no longer produced, but our company is looking to manufacture it. We have looked at the WilderNest Campers, researched it, and loved it. We are familiar with the procedures that go into making the camper, and we are confident that we have the skills and resources that could bring it back to life. The new WilderNest Campers will provide good competition for Flip-Pac campers.

Please help us revive this wonderful product by filling out this short survey. It will take less than 2 minutes. Click here to take survey.

If you are interested in the launch of the product, please provide your email address at the bottom of the survey (optional) and we'll make sure you are the firsts to know.

We are excited.

P.S: Please forward this survey link to anyone who would be interested in the WilderNest Campers: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/LGBDN3L

Definitely start a new thread so people don’t miss your post buried in an old thread. I assume you are in Washington state. That would be a plus for me (actually Oregon would be better due to lack of sales tax in OR). I’m sure I would have a flippac on my truck except for the distance to the California FRP factory which would add several hundred $ in expenses plus time to travel to a place I don’t want to go to or hundreds to have one shipped to me from a company which has a reputation that doesn’t exactly inspire confidence in them to deliver and for a product that has a few troublesome shortcomings/flaws. I almost bought a used wildernest but it looked like it needed way to much work so instead I am building a flip to the back camper myself - if my project is a failure I would be very interested in buying a new Wildernest type camper although I suspect that development of a new product may take longer than I would be willing to wait (I want something for the spring/summer). Plus, of course, cost is a consideration.

What is your company and its web site? I wouldn’t typically respond to a survey like yours over concerns about spam/fraud unless it was clearly linked to a legitimate business web site.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz