Flippac + Stitch and Glue Camper

Louisd75

Adventurer
Here's what I'm hoping will work. If not, there's plenty of bolt-on light bracket options, it's just last resort.
View attachment 479074
Optronics makes an LED surface mount with an SS trim ring and backup light built in. One small hole for the wires and four small holes for the screws. I looked at the grommet style and figured it would be easier to fix a surface mount mistake than a grommet mount.

Here's the light I used, trim rings are ordered separate: https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lights/Optronics/STL68RB.html

Tmcdon890

Thanks Louis. I ended up ordering these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078C5H4R5/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and plan to install them on the underside of the frame.

Getting the 1/8" sheathing filleted this week, hoping to shape and start sanding the exterior by next week. Anyone have any recommendations for exterior paint? It looks like the boat building community likes using acrylics over epoxy. I plan to sand and wash the exterior, leave the finish at 80 grit and paint with a flat or semi gloss paint. I'll skip priming unless someone has a strong opinion to do so. I'm also not super keen on having a shiny finish coat.

T

Tmcdon890

Couple photos. All the blending is done, got 6 oz cloth partially filled in on both of the sides. I've also opened up and refilled a number of spider cracks in the original gel coat. Coming together! Moving from Jackson WY to Salt Lake Dec 1st and then traveling for much of the winter, so this will definitely slow down soon. Hoping to get the rest of the thing glassed, back doors built and then painted! It's getting a shiny gunmetal grey all around. Should look pretty rad!

T

IMG_1457.JPG
IMG_1448.JPGIMG_1453.JPGIMG_1455.JPGIMG_1460.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1449.JPG
    IMG_1449.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 49

Tmcdon890

Howdy all, it's been a while!

I'm writing from Laos. Not your typical post location. Long story short I have quit my job and spent much of the winter traveling through Asia. My priorities have changed to say the least. Towards the end of November I finished my doors, weather seals and exterior details to get on the road. Transitions between the Flippac and the rest of the structure are practically seamless! Once the paint goes on it will be very difficult to tell that it's two pieces.

As I look ahead, I see a high likelihood of selling the build - as is. She's sitting in storage in Salt Lake waiting for me to degrease and apply the marine paint I've purchased. If I find someone interested, I will likely sell upon my return to the states in early May. I've documented my receipts and the bulk of my parts list for convenience. The curb weight is 800lb now, build components and welding labor have cost me $4,400. Estimated 250 hours of work. Quite sad actually. But ultimately an amazing learning experience working with glass and epoxy.

My server here isn't fast enough to insert photo attachments. Try the Google Drive link below and scroll to the bottom for the most recent photos.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Vmpsab-0Pif54cg4qL5ykkZd8C8_-FyJ

Please email to tmcdon890@gmail.com for inquiries.

Last edited:

TroySmith80

Adventurer
Very interesting. I think this is a fantastic little trailer you've built here. I'm surprised how many pop-ups and wedges there are, and how few flip-overs like this. There is (was) the flip-pac, and now AT has their Habitat. I'm hoping to build one similar to yours but larger as an alternative to standard american pop up tent trailers.

Good luck with the sale and the new life direction. I'd be tempted to buy this but it's too small for my family of four.

Tmcdon890

For the better or worse, I'm still working on the thing! I was unpleasantly surprised to find a snapped torsion bar when I arrived home last month. I think the freeze/thaw cycles and years of preload finally added up. Chopped it off last week and left the stubs in place to act as an axle. I'm currently waiting on some ball joint quick disconnects and then I'm intending to copy the rest of the EP folks on their delete modifications.

Got the body painted, for what it's worth. Still selling... I think. Just slowly putting in hours to make a sale more feasible.517087517088

Tmcdon890

Torsion bar delete, finished! That was actually super simple and I was happy to practice my welding. Flips like butter! Now you can sleep with your tow vehicle attached, or not. Still Selling. Reducing price to 3000, need er gone. Realizing my pocketbook will take a hit because I have not finished the interior.
The thing is huge inside! Minimum standing height is 7 feet, and ranges to over 8.5 feet.

Attachments

• 1559422093937.png
    1559422093937.png
    662.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 1559422315670.png
    1559422315670.png
    655.4 KB · Views: 32

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior