Flippac Torsion Bar Broke in Peru

Sheils

Hi all,

I know there are a lot of posts about the torsion bar problem and how to replace or delete it, so I'm sorry if these are stupid questions... My torsion bar just snapped while I'm in Lima, Peru, and I'm trying to figure out next steps. I'm going to call Sway-away when it opens in an hour, but I'm assuming I'll need to order a sway-away torsion bar replacement to be sent to Lima and find someone here who can replace it. Would it be extremely difficult for someone to do the replacement? My Spanish is sketchy at best and I don't have any mechanical knowledge so I'm worried about getting proper help on this. In addition, the bar broke while the tent is open, so I'm wondering if sleeping on the bed for now would be safe or if it might cause more damage / not hold my weight (about 225 lbs between me and my dog). If I need to order a part to be shipped here, it would be great if I could hang out in my tent/bed for the next few weeks.

Thanks!
Sheila

Stryder106

Explorer
I guess if you snapped it, then you don't need a torsion bar puller to relieve the tension to get it out (not sure about putting it back in though). Mark your adjuster bolt so you can get it back in about the same spot because T-Bar adjustments typically require an alignment on the front wheels. Good luck.

DVexile

Adventurer
I guess if you snapped it, then you don't need a torsion bar puller to relieve the tension to get it out (not sure about putting it back in though). Mark your adjuster bolt so you can get it back in about the same spot because T-Bar adjustments typically require an alignment on the front wheels. Good luck.

I don't think you understand the question. Your answer sounds like it is for a torsion bar suspension. The question is about the torsion bar hinge used in a Flip Pac camper top. There are no wheels involved and no bolts...

DVexile

Adventurer
I wouldn't sleep on the top without the torsion bar. The front "supports" to the hood are very flimsy and not meant to hold much weight - usually the bar is taking most of the weight.

Look up a few threads here on replacement. It is awkward but not super difficult. Basically you need to find a place where you can hold the Flip-Pac lid in the vertical position while removing the broken bar and inserting the new bar. In the US lots of suburban two story houses have a room with a window over the garage and that's often how people do it here - pull the truck part way into the garage and lift the lid to the vertical with ropes from the window.

One concern is that there seem to be some older Flip Pacs in which the torsion bar splines are a slightly different size than newer models. So a few folks have had problems installing the Sway-a-way bar. With the lid vertical the bar should slide in without much force (i.e. just a little tapping). With the wrong size splines folks have had to really pound hard on it or file the splines down. Some recent threads about this as well.

Best of luck!

Stryder106

Explorer
I don't think you understand the question. Your answer sounds like it is for a torsion bar suspension. The question is about the torsion bar hinge used in a Flip Pac camper top. There are no wheels involved and no bolts...

DAH - My brain went, "Torsion Bar". That's what happens when your rig is an 02 Chevy with IFS and T-Bar. My bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior