Floor questions

nonhog

Observer
I have a 96 Safari that will be my camping/dump run/hauling/etc. rig. I'm thinking having a flat floor would be nice for quick and easy sleeping. I'm tearing out the old carpet but don't want to add too much height. (or weight)
I love to snow shoe so carpet as well as wood flooring has drawbacks. I'd like to insulate then add the thinnest outdoor plywood as possible. I think I will skip the pretty flooring.

Questions;
Rubber matt, how long until it doesn't smell like a HF store. Wife will not accept that.
Indoor/Outdoor carpet, anyone have good or bad results with?
Insulation, worth the effort? what did you use?
Squeaks and sound quality,

As you can see my head is spinning and would love to hear what you have done, good and bad results, any info would be greatly appreciated.

Links?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20180506_170544514_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180506_170544514_HDR.jpg
    342.1 KB · Views: 20

s.e.charles

#1 - breathe. long, slow, & deep. m'kay?

here goes:
in the savanna I used 2" x 4" #70 durometer pieces of solid rubber spaced about 12" apart in a staggered pattern. 3M vhb tape to the dynamat extreme on the floor, and placed in the grooves of the metal floor pan to keep the top surface of the rubber about 3/16" above the high ribs.

another layer of 3M tape, and a piece of Meranti 9mm plywood placed crossways so I would not be limited or have seams in the open field of floor. I half-lapped the (3) sheets of plywood about 4", and glued them together (weighted & braced to the ceiling) with PL 3X construction adhesive .

I laid commercial grade sheet vinyl over the whole floor. there is isolation from metal underneath, airflow, and dampening from road noise. I just use a couple of home despot (sic) welcome mats to keep the floor looking decent. if I carry anything, I put down a painters dropcloth.

if you intend to sleep on it, I would let the matress, or even a first layer yoga mat, be the line of defense.

FWIW
Rubber can trap moisture for very long periods of time. I like wood and carpet because it will eventually dry. (I live in Colorado, its dry here.)
I use a layer of 2mil foam that's used under floating floors, then a 15/32 plywood, with outdoor carpet on top.
Cheap
Easy
Drys quickly

Attachments

• IMG_0689.jpg
    IMG_0689.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0696.jpg
    IMG_0696.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0708.jpg
    IMG_0708.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0710.jpg
    IMG_0710.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 41

zerskier

Observer
i used a Westin 50-6325 - 72" x 96" Bed Mat, its heavy about 75 pounds and did smell like a tire store for a few weeks. i think you could alleviate the smell quicker if you left the mat out in the sun for a few days. i planned on cutting some 1/4" x 2" plywood strips to place in the grooves in floor but the rubber mat spans them well being the mat is about over 3/8" thick. I didn't insulate floor, Astros have limited headroom and adding layers only makes it worse. I agree that rubber can trap water, but i just take a peak under the mat once and awhile. That might not be convenient if you have a full built out but with my minimalist setup its works for me.20180218_222636.jpgIMG_0274.JPG

sackettmw

Maybe you could find a factory or aftermarket mat from a cargo van. That's what I have in my Astro. I had a foam mattress topper cut to fit on the floor that I just rolled up and stuffed in the back. Never really bothered me that the floor wasn't flat. Later I added HF puzzle mat on top mostly to keep the heat down for the dogs (HF smell goes away). Still easy to clean. My Astro is also a multi use vehicle. Mostly work van anymore but I traveled and slept in it for years racing mountain bikes.

nonhog

Observer
I do have a desire to visit my local PnP. I'll keep an eye open for a factory mat. Also I like the puzzle mat idea. I actually have some from back when the kids raced slot cars in the loft of my shop. Great temporary camping floor! Thanks!

Corneilius

Adventurer
If you get the puzzle mat from lowes it cost more but doesn't stink. I used it in my van for about a year, worked well, cheap, easy to replace.

whith

i used a Westin 50-6325 - 72" x 96" Bed Mat, its heavy about 75 pounds and did smell like a tire store for a few weeks. i think you could alleviate the smell quicker if you left the mat out in the sun for a few days. i planned on cutting some 1/4" x 2" plywood strips to place in the grooves in floor but the rubber mat spans them well being the mat is about over 3/8" thick. I didn't insulate floor, Astros have limited headroom and adding layers only makes it worse. I agree that rubber can trap water, but i just take a peak under the mat once and awhile. That might not be convenient if you have a full built out but with my minimalist setup its works for me.View attachment 449528View attachment 449529
Where did you find those mesh/net storage thingamabobbers you've got on the rear side windows?

s.e.charles

Thanks everybody for the input! Appreciate it (even the one that started out snarky LOL)

not snarky, just wanted you to be aware it was going to be a bit long winded. if you want snarky, have someone give you an overdone hardware store special sprinter, try to convince you it's "hand-crafted", and the gloves will come off.

ohpyramids

Adventurer
Its simple.

Rustproof your current floor (por-15). Then lay down a layer of 3/8” to 3/4” thick closed cel foam across the entire floor. Closed cel foam will reduce noise and provide great insulation that’s also waterproof. Next, add a layer of baltic birch marine plywood 1/2 or 3/4” thick. I did 3/4” because my diesel van is loud. To finish up, glue some loncoin to the top of your floating plywood floor. Your result will be super durable, waterproof, and look great.
bed09639b6f255fbfcdf18d6081aaa59.jpg

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Pleased with the ‘checker plate’ garage floor mat I bought from Costco. Easy to clean out, but grippy enough so things don’t slide.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles