Fly fishing question

TGlide

I have a old Fenwick backpacking fly rod (7ft) rated for 6 weight. I would like to use it on small streams/ brooks. Should I use 6 weight line or go to a lighter line? Or is my tippet size more of a factor depending on the fly I'm using?

Thanks
I have an old, 1980 vintage Fenwick. Is yours fiberglass?

aknightinak

I'm a run what you brung kind of fisherman.

Many of those rods often behave more like an x/y/z-weight. I have a fiberglass Fenwick in a 2-piece, 8- weight that is the flexiest, mushiest thing I've ever casted. If yours has similar action, I can't imagine you'd notice a difference with one weight lighter line, especially on a small to middling stream, but I bet it would absolutely chuck a one weight heavier line.

A rule of thumb someone once remarked on tippet was to go no greater than 2x the weight of the rod. That said, I've been known to run 30# on an 8 to drift home-cured roe for cohos. Fishing bait with a fly rod generally shows you who the elitists on stream are immediately, too.

Reactions: plh

SpeyRod

Glass is very forgiving so, as you have discovered, it will play nicely with a 5wt line. My small stream rods tend to be lighter and loaded one weight heavier. When casting short, 10-15’, a heavier line actually loads the rod better. My favorite small stream setup is a 6’ glass or bamboo 4 wt loaded with a 5 wt line. When you are fishing with the tippet and 3’ of fly line it feels much better.

aknightinak

Glass is very forgiving so, as you have discovered, it will play nicely with a 5wt line. My small stream rods tend to be lighter and loaded one weight heavier. When casting short, 10-15’, a heavier line actually loads the rod better. My favorite small stream setup is a 6’ glass or bamboo 4 wt loaded with a 5 wt line. When you are fishing with the tippet and 3’ of fly line it feels much better.

I grabbed a 7' 6" 3 with a 4 line at Bean while I was visiting family last summer. This Redington had the price point over everything else and a few inches more length. I still wanted reach on larger creeks, which I fish more than real skinny troughs. New favorite, it took my summer grayling trip to a whole new level when I got into schools of 14-18 inchers. As much and as long as I've loved it, I might not ever fish my 5 wt in upland headwaters again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94