Flyer's '02 Tundra adventure build

Flyer69

Observer
I considered getting double light cut-outs, but decided against it. I'm still wondering if I should have done it!

Well, I like mine because I have both floods and spots, but you've already got what you've got, so I'd say if you really want more light you could mount a bar on top of the bumper. Billy has some pix of that on his site.

Flyer69

Observer
So today this happened...
20180510_125519.jpg20180510_125505.jpg
I've always wanted a set of these Ivan Stewart wheels, and I randomly found a brand new set on ebay for a great price. I'm super stoked on the new look, and remember that annoying little tire rubbing issue with the new Coopers? Well, its GONE! Supposedly the offset is exactly the same as the old wheels, but evidently it's not.

By the way, the seller has at least one more new set of these wheels, but I don't want to post his info publicly here, so PM me if you're interested and I'll put you in touch.

Deaver 10-packs should be here Saturday.... ?

Reactions: bkg

Kpack

Adventurer
Nice find! I'm looking forward to the install of the Deaver's. Redoing my rear suspension is on the list for next year, so it'll be nice to see how other people set theirs up.

247oda_06trd

So today this happened...
I've always wanted a set of these Ivan Stewart wheels, and I randomly found a brand new set on ebay for a great price. I'm super stoked on the new look, and remember that annoying little tire rubbing issue with the new Coopers? Well, its GONE! Supposedly the offset is exactly the same as the old wheels, but evidently it's not.

By the way, the seller has at least one more new set of these wheels, but I don't want to post his info publicly here, so PM me if you're interested and I'll put you in touch.

Deaver 10-packs should be here Saturday.... ?

Will these ivan wheels work with 05-06 with tpms sensor?

Flyer69

Observer
My new set of Archive Garage-designed Deaver 10-leaf springs arrived last week, along with AG's U-bolt flip kit with mounting perches for my Timbrens. The workmanship and powdercoating on the parts are excellent. Eric even threw in some new grade 10 leaf spring and shackle bolts & nuts.
20180515_221503.jpg20180515_222736.jpg
The included Energy Suspension bushings and sleeves went in easily using the provided clear, sticky bushing grease and a small bar clamp.
20180515_221453.jpg20180515_221434.jpg

Here's a look at the old leaf spring setup which consisted of the stock leaf pack (factory helper spring removed) with a Deaver 3-leaf kit added and Hellwig EZ-990 helper springs on top. I used to tow a 23' Prowler RV trailer, and the Hellwig/Timbren combo worked pretty well. I used to run a Hellwig rear sway bar too, but took it off when I'd go on offroad trips. I removed the mounts when I sold the trailer last year.20180516_093015.jpg20180516_093025.jpg20180516_093034.jpg

Here are all the parts I removed:
20180516_154830.jpg

Flyer69

Observer
Out with the old and in with the new!
20180516_145712.jpg
20180516_145724.jpg20180516_145734.jpg20180516_145755.jpg20180516_145816.jpg20180516_145822.jpg

I didn't realize there was a left and a right spring until I was installing the second spring pack, but luckily I installed the first one on the correct side! Everything went together easily using a 3-ton jack under the diff and a small 1-ton jack under the leaf pack to help position it. The new U-bolts were the perfect length, making for a clean install.

While I had everything apart, I did a quick cleanup of the frame and shackles and hit them with a little flat black rust-oleum.

Kpack

Adventurer
Very nice! How long did it take to swap the leafs? And how do you like the ride on the Deaver's? Soft/hard, increased travel, etc?

I'd like to do a leaf spring swap at some point. I'm mostly unloaded in the bed and am wondering how something like the AG/Deaver's would ride in that situation.

Nice work cleaning up the frame there too.

Flyer69

Observer
I forgot to mention that I was also running some 1.25" blocks with the old spring setup to level the truck. With the new leaf packs installed, the rear ride height measured at the fender flares was EXACTLY the same as with the old setup... pretty cool!

I made a shakedown trip to Big Sur last weekend. Fully loaded with all camping gear, fridge, firewood tub, my big Camp Chef stove setup, 2 full 20L MFC's and 5 gallons of water on the rear can rack (about 500 pounds), the rear ride height was 37".
20180517_142930.jpg

I forgot to measure it before I loaded all the gear, so I measured it when I got back and unpacked all the camping gear. Both fuel cans were empty but there was still roughly 4 gallons in the water can. The empty ride height is 37.75". That's only 3/4" of compression... amazing!

20180521_115646.jpg

The main point of all this was to get rid of the body roll and dead feel in the rear end and increase the load-carrying capability, and the new Deavers perform even better than I expected. The ride, both empty and loaded, is super smooth and lively. The body roll, which became more pronounced (due to changes in geometry) after I rebuilt the front end and added Camburg UCA's, is pretty much gone and my truck feels much safer. I couldn't be happier, and this upgrade was money very well spent.

20180516_161022.jpg

Now I need to figure out the correct size shocks to run in the rear, as the travel has now been greatly increased. For now I'm still running 24" Bilsteins. Before reinstalling the lower shock mounting bolts, I let the rear end drop all the way and there was a 5" gap between the shock mount and the shock eye. I haven't checked out full compression yet, but I figure I can just measure the gap between the frame stop and the lower end of the Timbrens with the rear end at full droop and get the range. Please feel free to chime in if anyone has advice on how to choose the proper length shocks.

Last edited:

Flyer69

Observer
Very nice! How long did it take to swap the leafs?

The installation took about 4 hours, working by myself at a reasonable pace

And how do you like the ride on the Deaver's? Soft/hard, increased travel, etc? I'd like to do a leaf spring swap at some point. I'm mostly unloaded in the bed and am wondering how something like the AG/Deaver's would ride in that situation.

The ride is plush yet lively, even when empty. It's actually way smoother and nicer than before because my old leaf springs were tired and harsh. Plus all the hodgepodge of bolt-on crap plus lift blocks were not a very good package.

Nice work cleaning up the frame there too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz