Flyer's '02 Tundra adventure build

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Digging how thorough u are man... it's all great info like he said^^^ maybe u or @toyotech Toyota can answer... is the spring pack you got from AG the same pack as people get when doing the shackle flip? Or are they different packs?

You can run any spring pack even the stock one with the shackle flip kit. So I can't say who is using which pack unless you ask them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

trailscape

Explorer
Mine seemed to. I sent it in a couple months back for a firmware upgrade and haven't got around to finding the proper code that works again. I have TPMS monitoring now though which is pretty cool.

Does the scan gauge tell trans temp correctly?

Lotsoftoys

You can run any spring pack even the stock one with the shackle flip kit. So I can say who he using which pack unless you ask them.

Don't get that second sentence?

Mine does, but I have an 05. I thought I read 05 and up will read Trans 04 and older may not?

toyotech

Expedition Leader
You can run any spring pack even the stock one with the shackle flip kit. So I can say who he using which pack unless you ask them.

Mine does, but I have an 05. I thought I read 05 and up will read Trans 04 and older may not?

Sorry edited the sentence.

Yeah I heard pre 04 tundra won't show trans temp

jim65wagon

Sorry edited the sentence.

Yeah I heard pre 04 tundra won't show trans temp

Scangauge MX reads transmission temps in my 03....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Flyer69

Observer
Ok gang, I could use a little helpful advice on gear ratios. My Tundra is an '02 with the tow package, 4.7l V8, LSD. I'm running Cooper ST MAXX 255/85/16's, which measure out at 33", and I plan to stick with this tire size. I'd like to get some performance back, as it's a bit overgeared for these tires.

I took some photos of my instrument panel with ScanGauge info included. These were taken while driving on flat freeway at as steady of speed as possible, with the intent to compare speed, engine RPMs, % load, and MPG. I'm mostly concerned with load... seems like I'm working the engine pretty hard.

What gear ratio should I re-gear to?

Thanks!

Last edited:

bkg

Explorer
I’d find the gear that most closely puts you to stock... then drop down to the next lowest (numerically higher) set.

So if you need 4.56 to get to “stock,” I’d go 4.88

bkg

Explorer
BTW -

Tacoma/4runners with the 5-speed have an OD ratio that is about 50% of the automatic (.85:1 vs .7:1 give or take)… So consider that as well. I put 4.88's on my tacoma (3.4, AT, 285/75-16's) to get it close to the stock manual OD RPMs.. in hindsight, I think I would should have gone 5.29's... The 4.7 isn't a slouch, but it also does better at RPM's, IMHO. I always liked towing with my Tundra doublecabs (had 3) cause it would cruise all day long at 3k rpm's in drive... and pull respectable mileage doing it.

going from 4.1 to 4.88 will add 22% to your cruising RPM... so at 70mph (on your speedo) you'll still only be turning ~2700 RPM's...

Flyer69

Observer
So it's between 4.56 and 4.88.... tough choice for sure. I don't have a trailer at the moment, but with 2 kids I'm considering building one out. I also understand the relationship between engine loading and fuel economy, and I do a fair amount of freeway driving, but honestly I doubt the difference in fuel consumption would be financially significant. I'm more interested in improving performance on grades and in easing the % load on the engine across the board.

Jose, are you running 4.56 with 35"s?

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior