Flyer's '02 Tundra adventure build

smokeysevin

Observer
4.56 with 315's will be essentially stock, have been running 4.56 with 285's for almost 10 years at this point and I would say for 315's (34.5") 4.88 should be a minimum.

Sean

Flyer69

Observer
4.56 with 315's will be essentially stock, have been running 4.56 with 285's for almost 10 years at this point and I would say for 315's (34.5") 4.88 should be a minimum.

Sean
My 255/85/16 Coopers measure 33". Would you still recommend 4.88?

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Flyer69

Observer
Thanks for all the input, guys. Hard choice, to be sure, but right now I'm leaning towards 4.56. I really liked the stock performance and I'm just a little afraid of going too low-range with 4.88's.

Where does the speedo get its info on this truck?

bkg

Explorer
Thanks for all the input, guys. Hard choice, to be sure, but right now I'm leaning towards 4.56. I really liked the stock performance and I'm just a little afraid of going too low-range with 4.88's.

Where does the speedo get its info on this truck?

Difference is about 7% between 4.56 and 4.88. So a cruise, you’ll see about a 7% difference. So 2500 becomes 2675. So compare that to the torque curve of the engine.

I’d not hesitate to do 4.88’s, personally. Especially if there is going to be any towing. Even if it’s just around town.. or especially if it’s just around town... or if you ever plan to go to a larger tire (bfg’s 34*11.5 looks like a great DD size), then I’d also go 4.88. My wife doesn’t know this, but I’m sincerely thinking of putting 4.88’s in her gen5 4Runner. ?

For speedo, I used a Yellr box with the pigtail. Works awesome. Www.yellr.com

smokeysevin

Observer
Unless you plan on going to 35s later I wouldn't hesitate to go 4.56s. I actually have a full 3rd member with 4.56's and a trd kazuma limited slip if you are interested. I have no need for it anymore. To get back to stock reading on 33s you need (iirc) 4.30 gears, with 4.56s you get a nice torque bump without a huge hit on mpg.

Sean

Flyer69

Observer
Unless you plan on going to 35s later I wouldn't hesitate to go 4.56s. I actually have a full 3rd member with 4.56's and a trd kazuma limited slip if you are interested. I have no need for it anymore. To get back to stock reading on 33s you need (iirc) 4.30 gears, with 4.56s you get a nice torque bump without a huge hit on mpg.

Sean
Pm me about your parts please. I already have a factory LSD, but I'm def interested in the gears so that's an easy swap. Then for the front end...

smokeysevin

Observer
Pm me about your parts please. I already have a factory LSD, but I'm def interested in the gears so that's an easy swap. Then for the front end...

PM sent, as a side note the TRD limited slip was advertised at (iirc) 300% stiffer clutch packs.

Sean

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier