Fold-able, packable 100w solar panel recommendations?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Last year I put together a solar setup using a Renogy 100w panel and an MPPT controller. I only used it twice because it was a little bit cumbersome, the worst part being the transporting of the panel itself, which was the big, rigid 100w panel of the type you typically see on houses.
I was thinking that putting my own system together would be cheaper than buying a self contained unit.
Well, I was wrong. Transporting that panel without damaging it turns out to be enough of a PITA that I typically leave it at home.
At this point, I'm ready to chuck my current setup and get something portable. I know Renogy makes a 100w "suitcase" panel and I believe it has the built in PWM charger. Are there any others out there that people have used and can recommend? At first I was thinking of just getting a folding panel and using my existing MPPT controller but I think a fully self contained unit would be smaller and simpler, which means it would be more likely to get used. Trying to stay under $300.
Also if there's anybody out there on the Front Range of Colorad (Fort Collins to Pueblo) who wants to buy a Renogy 100w panel and 20a MPPT controller (only used twice), PM me. I'll cut you a deal. :sombrero:

john61ct

Adventurer
Look at the 80W cordura foldups from ALLPOWERS on eBay.

Own little controller I think 18V laptop and 5V USB outputs, IMO would be easy to bypass, put a bunch of them into a Victron MPPT.

80w times X little units could add up pretty quick.

The real portability problem is a battery capable of storing all the power produced.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Look at the 80W cordura foldups from ALLPOWERS on eBay.
Own little controller I think 18V laptop and 5V USB outputs, IMO would be easy to bypass, put a bunch of them into a Victron MPPT.
80w times X little units could add up pretty quick.
The real portability problem is a battery capable of storing all the power produced.
Mine will either go to the battery pack on the trailer or the truck so the battery is not an issue for me. I just need something that's small, reasonably rugged and easy to deploy/redeploy as needed.

AndrewP

Explorer
Use your existing controller and buy the folding panel. This will work great and the Renogy one at least comes with a nice semi-rigid storage case that does a good job protecting it. Renogy used to sell the folding panel without the controller saving you $25 or so.

The controller attached to the panel, leaves the controller out in the weather and keeps it a long way from the battery, neither circumstance is desirable.

Both my controller and panel hook up with power pole connectors, so I can have the whole thing up and functioning in 5 minutes.

Edit: Looks like you can no longer get it without the controller. Still, it works great and you get a spare charge controller!

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Use your existing controller and buy the folding panel. This will work great and the Renogy one at least comes with a nice semi-rigid storage case that does a good job protecting it. Renogy used to sell the folding panel without the controller saving you $25 or so.

The controller attached to the panel, leaves the controller out in the weather and keeps it a long way from the battery, neither circumstance is desirable.

Both my controller and panel hook up with power pole connectors, so I can have the whole thing up and functioning in 5 minutes.
I thought about that but it seems that most of the folding panels come with the controller already attached to the panels. Keeping the MPPT controller would mean I'd have to rig up a waterproof case for it and have another component to manage (I can't permanently install the controller in either the truck or the camper because I want to be able to use it on either one.)
Although I realize it's not optimal, I'm willing to give up some efficiency in exchange for portability and convenience. I am learning (the hard way) that the more inconvenient a piece of gear is, the more likely I am to leave it in the garage when we take off.

dnellans

Adventurer
I've had good luck with the Grape Solar foldable panel. Puts out 70watts into my charge controller so efficiency versus rated is on part with other panels i've used. It doesn't have a built in charge controller but I'm driving it into a goalzero setup with a PWC controller built in.

https://www.amazon.com/Grape-Solar-...93754516&sr=1-1&keywords=grape+solar+foldable

It looks like prices have gone up a bit on it, maybe you can find it cheaper elsewhere. I paid about $240 6 months ago if I remember correctly.

goomashoom

100w foldable binder solar panels

I have a folding 80w panel, similar to the ebay Allpowers referenced by john61ct in posting #2, driving a MPPT charge controller. I have decided I need a 2nd panel for more power, and I have had my eye on the Renogy 100w suitcase for a couple of years. Renogy recently updated its suitcase, calling this 2nd generation unit the "Eclipse." The Eclipse is smaller (21"x21" folded into the provided case), lighter, and supposedly more efficient. Renogy raised the price from the mid $200's to $359 on Amazon. I've been saving my pennies and was all set to press the "buy" button last night when I took one more perusal through the Amazon solar catalog, and lo a behold, a new form factor has arrived on the market. It seems like the vendors have taken the 100w "flexible" solar panels (that have been popular with RVers and their curved fiberglass roofs), chopped them in half, and made them into a binder form factor. These new 100w foldable binder solar panels don't come with a rigid frame like the Renogy. The cost is only ~$170. There are very few reviews on Amazon, so the jury is still out. I could only find one Youtube video. I really want something I can throw on the ground in the sunlight when my truck is in the shade. Maybe I can rig up some kind of lightweight frame so I can aim this foldable 100w panel at the optimal angle? Anybody have any ideas? With solar technology advancing as fast as it is, spending less money today saves money so I can buy the next generation solar panel next year (or the year after), making the longterm durability of the Renogy suitcase with its aluminum frame and glass less of a factor.

[Edit1: I was using tinyurl dot com, but dwh noticed that the hyperlinks go through bizrate dot com, so now I've put in the super long direct links to Amazon dot com.]
[Edit2: Thanks to JPaul for giving me instructions on how to shorten Amazon dot com product links!]

Renogy 100 Watt Eclipse Monocrystalline Solar Suitcase with Charge Controller - $359.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NADR1CI

MOHOO 100W 100Watt Bendable Foldable Thin Lightweight Solar Panel - $173.35
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XVWPD7N

Upgraded Sunpower Solar Panel 5.5A 18V 100W Portable Foldable Solar Panel - $169.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071YP7X4F

This is the style of 100w flexible panel that's been popular with RVers and boaters the last few years:
HQST 100 Watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline Lightweight Solar Panel - $184.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017OMTAV6

Last edited:

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
What's with crappy links to bizrate dot com?

Ghostery won't open them. Prolly why I use Ghostery.

dnellans

Adventurer
looks like $180 per 100 watts is the new going rate which is awesome. slightly off topic but noticed goal zero is now producing lithium versions of their yeti battery packs. they're brutally expensive but only a matter of time before someone else does it better and cheaper now. soon we'll have 1k ah capacity and 1kw foldable panels that only weight 50lbs total. life will be grand for the traveling souls!

JPaul

Observer
With regards to the Amazon links, you can cut off everything after the product ID number and it will work fine, like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NADR1CI

The rest of that link is just tracking info for the search or however you found the product.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

No Ma

Wonderer
Renogy still sells their original 100w folding panel w/o charge controller for $254. It's a backorder item on their website with a ship date (currently) of 6/30/17. I'm waiting for one. I have one already that works very well, and is quite well made. I also have an Eco-Worthy 120w folding suitcase w/controller. The controller is not used, looks like a typical cheap charge unit. The Eco-Worthy puts out the rated volts and amps, and I'm sure it will last as long as I need it to. It isn't nearly as well made as the Renogy though. Folding legs are much thinner and will require some help as time goes on. Frame is thinner and not as well finished, but it's good enough. You usually get what you pay for. It has no carrying case. The Renogy carrying case works very well for my needs and is worth a decent chunk of the extra cost for me as our travels include many technical 4wd trails.... YMMV.

ovrlnd lite

I agree with the Renogy 100w suitcase comments. I use this set up to charge a 31 series deep cycle in a ArkPac. Zero issues and the travel case is a nice touch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne