Fold out RTT with hard shell when closed?

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
My gut feeling is that they are imported from the Orient. Is that so?

I could totally be wrong, but if they are manufactured in China I'm not sure how they justify a 4K+ price tag. You know damned well that the importer is not paying more than $1600.00 each for them.

ttengineer

Adventurer
Ikampers are made in Korea.

I had one but traded it for a JB.

They are very close to a perfect combination of features, but they fall short in major areas.

One, the shell although well designed, is not ideal for off-road use. It’s thin and expensive. A roto mold shell would be far superior.

The mattress is garbage, I suspect it’s an Asian thing, but it’s way too thin for western comfort standards.

The windows open the wrong way and the pvc clear windows are a waste.

Also having to use the rain fly for the awning and annex is a poor design.

Apparently the 2.0 model addresses the mattress issue but in my opinion they need a few more generations to get it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

inexplorata

Sadly they stopped making the Bunduflip. Loved the design, like an automatic umbrella with a hard shell!

I wound up with a FreeSpirit clamshell I adore (because no spring poles) but like OP I wish there was even less fiddling and a hard case. FWIW I like the clamshells for the huuuge interior space.

woytovich

Observer
Someone should make a clamshell/fold out that has a hard shell top when open and closes up like a hard shell... some sort of exercise in origami.

86scotty

Cynic
I'm intrigued by the new Ikamper Skycamp but TWICE the price of the competition? I think I'll go for the FSR Adventure hard top instead.

Wicked Campers seem to retrofit standard fold out RTT's with aluminum travel covers. Just a frame at the bottom and Al sheeting welded together in a shape loosely similar to the vinyl cover. It lifts up to 90deg on gas struts from its travel position, allowing to fold out the RTT. Allegedly no issues with water ingress. 1566197391219.png

Nathansharkey80

I'm intrigued by the new Ikamper Skycamp but TWICE the price of the competition? I think I'll go for the FSR Adventure hard top instead.

Ikamper tents don’t have the kind of quality materials and workmanship that I was looking for. Overpriced in my mind and made in China quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rbertalotto

Explorer
I can’t understand why this is so difficult. I just bought a Smittybilt RTT. Next week I’m making a prototype hard cover that hinges to the front and simply flips forward to deploy the tent. If it works out I’ll make a mold and start shooting them in fiberglass for resale.

stay tuned

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles