Folding antenna mast?

oguruma

Is there a good commercially-available folding antenna mast?

I'd like to mount a folding mast on an overland rack that can be easily deployed when stationary.

The closest I have found is a folding antenna mount, which allows an antenna that's mounted to be folded up/down, however that wouldn't support a directional antenna (that has be to turned) very well.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Are you after something for mobile or stationary use? When you say "directional" I'm wondering if you mean a Yagi or dish maybe and how big of an antenna you're using.

Anyway, lots of hams have come up with tilt-up masts over the years for all sorts of reasons. Very common with large beams and Yagis to have a tilt-up mast at home. But I suspect that's a lot of larger than you're thinking.

Antenna Going Up - 2_mid.png

In this case the microwave enthusiasts might offer some ideas or the military or commercial world probably is your huckleberry. They're usually either intended to fit in a trailer hitch.

Heavy-Duty-mast-raised-on-a-hitch-mount-for-a-quick-mobile-deployment-system-800.png

Truck-Hitch-Tilt-Ladder-1.png

Or one you drive on to stabilize.

800x600_4976b389ab85354f2eed463cefdeafdd.jpeg

P070309_14.44%5B02%5D_mid.png

Or telescopes.

ford-e-350-ext-tv-news-remote-live-truck-w-mast-generator-ham-radio-amateur-2_mid.png

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
That telescoping mast is an awesome find. It's aluminum, which could be useful (as insofar as it could be your radiating element directly, although an extra section or two would be handy) or a slight inconvenience (e.g. affect tuning potentially and you have to consider lightning and static implications) depending on your need. But being rigid enough to be a flag pole is a nice improvement over a fishing rod for temp support...

P.S., just 'cause, regards to the finial atop flag poles: https://www.wearethemighty.com/mili...-is-actually-inside-the-top-of-the-flag-pole/

Last edited:

Oscar Mike Gulf Yankee

That telescoping mast is an awesome find. It's aluminum, which could be useful (as insofar as it could be your radiating element directly, although an extra section or two would be handy) or a slight inconvenience (e.g. affect tuning potentially and you have to consider lightning and static implications) depending on your need. But being rigid enough to be a flag pole is a nice improvement over a fishing rod for temp support...

P.S., just 'cause, regards to the finial atop flag poles: https://www.wearethemighty.com/mili...-is-actually-inside-the-top-of-the-flag-pole/
In my day, the Truck was to have one .45 round because the Commander could never surrender because of the lack of ammo! No operative weapons is buried under or near a flag pole on any installation! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

dstefan

Rhino Rack makes a fairly stout one, but they seem to be in short supply. Maybe too small for your purposes?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94