For Sale: 2003 Excursion, 7.3 Powerstroke, 4WD *SOLD*

TrailLite

Would love helpful insights from Expo community on selling. Price is not far from BAT auction minimum. Thoughts?

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Would love helpful insights from Expo community on selling. Price is not far from BAT auction minimum. Thoughts?

The moderators here seem to get their panties in a twist when folks comment on price...

BUT since YOU ASKED...

$44K for a mostly bone stock 20 year old vehicle with almost 200k on it is simply absurd.

Yes its very clean, yes, the 7.3L can go a lot of miles, but dude....

Yeah, they are sought after vehicles, but lets get back to planet earth.

I'll get chastised in this post, 7.3 best thing ever made, bla bla bla bla.... And then... There will be "Price Drops" lots of them

Advice, if youre trying to get 2-3x what a vehicle is worth, at least put it some effort for a detailed ad.

It sure is clean and pretty, so GLWS

clayinho

^^^ They are not wrong.

If you want the highest possible price then go list it in BaT. There have always been absurd amounts of money spent on vehicles there. Put together the best possible presentation of your vehicle, go with no reserve, and try to market your vehicle to drive potential buyers to the auction while it’s happening.
It may not be $44k but it’ll be likely one of the better outcomes you can get.

TrailLite

This is all very helpful. I would be interested to know what you guys think is the correct price point. Feel free to DM if such a question’s answer is frowned upon by moderators.

diy_diesel

Chasing the Horizon
Well, a bone stock 7.3 Ex with nearly identical mileage just sold for $22,500 on BaT - so I'll assume that sets the bar for a stock Ex with ~175k miles. So the big question is how much is the coil spring swap worth to a buyer? I'd say it's worth between $7-11K depending on how thorough the swap was.

For the conversion, were both axles sourced from a newer super duty, or are you running spacers on the rear axle?
Was the brake master cylinder swapped to match the newer axles?
Were the frame reinforcements found on the coil sprung Super Duty trucks welded into the frame?
Were the rear springs upgraded (aftermarket, or '08+ Super Duty springs)?
Were the axles re-geared with running the larger tires in mind?

Depending on the answers to the above, my opinion is that your Ex is worth between $29,500 and $34,000 with where the market is right now.

I've seen 7.3 and 6.0 front coil sprung (4x4) Excursions sell recently for anywhere from $27k (with mileage in the high 100k range) and $36k (with mileage at the low 100k range).

My background on this is that I own a 7.3 Ex that I plan to do a coil spring conversion on.

I also own a '99 115k mile 7.3l F-350 that I've done a front coil spring conversion to.

TrailLite

Well, a bone stock 7.3 Ex with nearly identical mileage just sold for $22,500 on BaT - so I'll assume that sets the bar for a stock Ex with ~175k miles. So the big question is how much is the coil spring swap worth to a buyer? I'd say it's worth between $7-11K depending on how thorough the swap was.

For the conversion, were both axles sourced from a newer super duty, or are you running spacers on the rear axle?
Was the brake master cylinder swapped to match the newer axles?
Were the frame reinforcements found on the coil sprung Super Duty trucks welded into the frame?
Were the rear springs upgraded (aftermarket, or '08+ Super Duty springs)?
Were the axles re-geared with running the larger tires in mind?

Depending on the answers to the above, my opinion is that your Ex is worth between $29,500 and $34,000 with where the market is right now.

I've seen 7.3 and 6.0 front coil sprung (4x4) Excursions sell recently for anywhere from $27k (with mileage in the high 100k range) and $36k (with mileage at the low 100k range).

My background on this is that I own a 7.3 Ex that I plan to do a coil spring conversion on.

I also own a '99 115k mile 7.3l F-350 that I've done a front coil spring conversion to.

- Both Axles were swapped.
- Master Cylinder was rebuilt to match along with Hydro assist for steering.
- frame reinforcements where welded in according to engineer specs of the seller of the suspension system
- Rear Springs were upgraded as part of the complete conversion package.
- After several convos with diesel guys in my area, decision was made not to regear axles.

The latest nugget is BAT suggested a auction reserve not that far off $44K. Based on their comments and suggestions it seems the expect it to go for around $40k.

diy_diesel

Chasing the Horizon
The automatic transmission is the "weak" point on these 7.3s, so the re-gear would be more for that than for the engine's sake. Is the transmission stock? Issues cropping up around 200k+ miles are fairly common even with stock tire sizes.

IMO, if this has a "built" transmission, the $40k estimate might not be too far off...maybe $36-38k or so.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
This is all very helpful. I would be interested to know what you guys think is the correct price point. Feel free to DM if such a question’s answer is frowned upon by moderators.
It’s a beautiful truck, you just don’t see them that nice anymore. I try and look at as what would my 44k buy me in the big SUV world to compare with this truck. That being considered I think it’s worth around 30k. It’s going to have mechanical issues due to age so that factors in. 44k gets a nice 200 series.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online