For those that carry Guns and Overlanding

Status
Not open for further replies.
I almost always have a little 5 shot .38 or a 9mm within reach. I have a concealed carry permit and am extremely careful with any firearm. I think it is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. I personally had only one situation with a very erratic person I came across camping who was acting like a time bomb about to go off any second. Nothing ever happened but just knowing I had a handgun on my waist helped me feel like my son and I were a little safer...just in case.

If I ever had a grizzly attack me for some reason I doubt I would do much harm to it with a handgun - lol, but maybe just enough to deter it or scare it off with a loud noise?

I also understand having a firearm does not guarantee anything, but I feel it has the potential to dramatically increase the chances of me keeping me and my family safe should some real unfortunate set of circumstances unfold.

I also keep a map of the states that reciprocate my permit to make sure I am not breaking any laws as I cross state lines.

Gar.

Despite what your mama may have told you, violence does solve problems. I will never be a victim, I am always armed and well trained/ fit for the fight. If you can legally carry a firearm and you chose not to, the next time you step outside your home, take a big deep breath and breath out a sheepish little Baaaaaaa.

Gar

Last edited:

Matt.H

Adventurer
I can't believe this conversation is still going on.

I didn't read much of the thread. Too long. So forgive me if this has already been discussed.

I knew new bickering was about to come back to the thread when a new voice posts and others see a chance to disagree. This IS a good thread, lots of disagreements and arguments, when we can keep it civil.

Have a Great Thanksgiving week!

Matt

LocoCoyote

World Citizen
I knew new bickering was about to come back to the thread when a new voice posts and others see a chance to disagree. This IS a good thread, lots of disagreements and arguments, when we can keep it civil.

Have a Great Thanksgiving week!

Matt

Well said. A happy thanksgiving to you and yours as well (for everybody!)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kevin108

Explorer
I carry. I accept the protection of myself and my family as my responsibility. I choose to use what I believe to be the best tool for me to do that job.

A few notes:

· Concealed carry permit holders are statistically more law-abiding than the police.
· People who are anti-gun still call for men with guns when there's a problem.
· Pro-gun people are liberty-minded. We think it's fine to be anti-gun, and wouldn't force anyone to own a gun.
· The anti-gun crowd, on the other hand, presumes that since they don't own guns, you shouldn't own guns either.

LocoCoyote

World Citizen
I carry. I accept the protection of myself and my family as my responsibility. I choose to use what I believe to be the best tool for me to do that job.

A few notes:

· Concealed carry permit holders are statistically more law-abiding than the police.
· Pro-gun people are liberty-minded. We think it's fine to be anti-gun, and wouldn't force anyone to own a gun.
· The anti-gun crowd, on the other hand, presumes that since they don't own guns, you shouldn't own guns either.

Well, I don’t want to get into it, so I’ll just say this little piece and be done with it.

I honestly think the bigger problem is the tendency to oversimplify the situation and try to peg everyone as either pro or anti gun. I think most folks are a bit of both.
I also believe that most gun owning Americans are responsible and reasonable folk.

But I digress from the subject of this thread.... it’s kind of telling that the subject of if I should overland travel armed or not is really only relevant in North America and the US in particular. It’s not even on the radar anywhere else.

Personally, I think everyone needs to do what they feel the most comfortable with. After all, it’s your trip....

crazysccrmd

Observer
But I digress from the subject of this thread.... it’s kind of telling that the subject of if I should overland travel armed or not is really only relevant in North America and the US in particular. It’s not even on the radar anywhere else.

I would propose that’s because this is one of the very few countries in which it would even be legal to do so. It’s also one of the few areas of the world that can be travelled for weeks or months and not cross a border which further complicates legal issues such as firearms.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
"Concealed carry permit holders are statistically more law-abiding than the police."

Source and Statics please. Thanks.

A few notes:

Gar.

So, you don’t see any difference between sporting a pistol at a remote camp site vs a place of business within city limits? Interesting.

Also, never said that “armed and dangerous” was my intention. You said that.

I guess you are asking if I think I would be more likely to be forced to defend myself and/or my wife in a remote camp site or in the Verizon store. If that is the question, then the answer is that I feel safe in town.

We had a wolf within 20 feet of our camp fire this August. At dusk. Five miles from the highway. I think he was curious about our dog. If you found yourself in that situation, do you think a warning shot might get rid of the wolf? Would you rather have a gun at hand or go digging around in your rig while trying to hang on to your dog and calm your wife?

Personal experience is the basis on which I make my decisions.

The problem with the reasoning you cited is that societies “wolves” typically do not look any different than societies sheep. Though you may “feel” safer in the city, typically yo are not. I do agree with your reasoning to keep the firearm at your side when camping, a wise decision.

But you may want to reconsider the safety of the concrete wilderness. Personal experience is great, but don’t discount the personal experience of others when protecting yourself, or your loved ones when visiting the city. If experience is what drives you, download any number of the police radio scanner aps. Then listen for a night in the typical city you feel safe in. I’d be willing to bet you’ll be taken back a bit by the number of wolves (two legged type) that come out. Food for thought.

Cheers,
Gar

Last edited:

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
it’s kind of telling that the subject of if I should overland travel armed or not is really only relevant in North America and the US in particular. It’s not even on the radar anywhere else.

It's not on the radar because local laws make it illegal - NOT because there aren't reasons to do it. Even countries that have strict anti-gun laws do still have armed criminals, and many of them also have wild and dangerous animals.

But, except for parts of Africa, you won't find people discussing carrying firearms for protection, especially people who are foreigners in someone else's country.

The prevailing wisdom is, "Just smile and hope for the best."

Fortunately, in the U.S., we are not yet at the point where "hope for the best" is our only option.

MOguy

Explorer
Well, I don’t want to get into it, so I’ll just say this little piece and be done with it.

I honestly think the bigger problem is the tendency to oversimplify the situation and try to peg everyone as either pro or anti gun. I think most folks are a bit of both.
I also believe that most gun owning Americans are responsible and reasonable folk.

Personally, I think everyone needs to do what they feel the most comfortable with. After all, it’s your trip....

So you have absolutely no issue of any kind if people carry?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior