For those wanting a REAL 4WD Mercedes Sprinter van!

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Just returned from SEMA and saw a lot of neat stuff. The Overland displays and presentations were fun and informative.

Within the Overland display was one very special 144 Inch WB TRUE Full 4wd Mercedes Sprinter van sitting on 37's shown by and built by IGLHAUT USA. Now there is a USA option for a true 4WD Mercedes Sprinter van properly lifted and modified with a Mercedes Truck IRS front suspension, larger brakes, full shifting high/low transfer case and proper front 4WD suspension refit with body modifications that allows 37's to fit properly.

How do they do it?

You purchase a NEW USA Spec 2WD Sprinter van with your choice of options. Your USA spec 2WD Sprinter is shipped to Germany for 4WD conversion package and returned to the USA upon completion. This is a VERY NICE European designed complete True 4WD lifted Mercedes Sprinter van package for those have have a need for this type of Sprinter van and the budget to do so.

Expensive? YES! Nice? YES!

Here's the info for those that are interested.

Last edited:

shade

Just returned from SEMA and saw a lot of neat stuff. The Overland display and presentation were fun and informative.

Within the Overland display was one very special 144 Inch WB TRUE Full 4wd Mercedes Sprinter van sitting on 37's shown by and built by IGLHAUT USA. Now there is a USA option for a true 4WD Mercedes Sprinter van lifted properly with a IRS front suspension, full high/low transfer case and proper front 4WD suspension refit that allows 37's to fit properly.

How do they do it?

You purchase a NEW USA Spec 2WD Sprinter van with your choice of options. Your USA spec 2WD Sprinter is shipped to Germany for 4WD conversion package and returned to the USA upon completion. This is a VERY NICE properly European designed complete True 4WD Mercedes Sprinter van package.

Here's the info for those that are interested.

Nice. I didn't see the 37" tyre spec in the pdf, though. More like 32" (265/75-16).

Seems like it'd be cheaper to ship the parts to the U.S. and do the conversion there.

rruff

Explorer

How much?

Screen+Shot+2019-05-26+at+10.20.33+AM.png

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Nice. I didn't see the 37" tyre spec in the pdf, though. More like 32" (265/75-16).

Seems like it'd be cheaper to ship the parts to the U.S. and do the conversion there.

The lift, front suspension and front inner wheel well body mods needed for the 37's are an option not standard equipment.

shade

The lift, front suspension and front inner wheel well body mods needed for the 37's are an option not standard equipment.
Good grief, that must really get the thing in the air - literally, and in price. I can't imagine a place I'd want to take a vehicle that large that would require that much lift and that large of tyres, but I'm sure they'll sell a few.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I have 33s on my Transit with a 2in spindle/block lift. I recently did some testing and 3 wheeled it....I will post the pic with air under the tire but this gives a taste (phone pic)
DSC_7882.JPG

I am 4 1/2in over stock and I would not go much taller.
Quadvan is working on a 4in lift for the Transit (would put me 6.5in taller than stock, maybe or maybe not, it will depend on how much scraping my skid plates do...it is a van, not a Gladiator :)

shade

I have 33s on my Transit with a 2in spindle/block lift. I recently did some testing and 3 wheeled it....I will post the pic with air under the tire but this gives a taste (phone pic)
View attachment 550115

I am 4 1/2in over stock and I would not go much taller.
Quadvan is working on a 4in lift for the Transit (would put me 6.5in taller than stock, maybe or maybe not, it will depend on how much scraping my skid plates do...it is a van, not a Gladiator :)
Careful, Lance! You don't want to be this guy.

1573609665100.png

Video of the recovery:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Oh that is sooo much suck right there...
I am going to use my autocross club's wheel scales and a fork light to calc my center of grav just so I know.
But wow,again that must have been horrible.

shade

Oh that is sooo much suck right there...
I am going to use my autocross club's wheel scales and a fork light to calc my center of grav just so I know.
But wow,again that must have been horrible.
Very lucky, in a few ways. Of the many places to climb the wall, that wasn't nearly as bad as it could've been, and there was significant support available to flip it back safely, with minimal damage. If they'd been solo, and especially if it'd been slick (which it can easily be on that clay), I doubt the story would've ended so well.

I thought it was funny that some people were scared off of the Flint Trail because of that flop. If that bothers them, they'd lose their mind deeper into the Maze. That van is wider and significantly lower than a Sprinter running 37"ers, btw.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
The Iglhaut conversions are $$$$$.

Personally I don't get the "REAL" 4wd obsession on a 10klb vehicle that's 9ft tall. There are some folks who would actually put the capability to use, but they are an tiny percentage. For everyone else the Mercedes AWD system works (not that it doesn't have its issues). I have seen several folks take the factory equipped vans to pretty ridiculous places.

KarstenP

Van of Mayhem
Iglhaut is a very very reputable shop and well known for their top notch 4WD conversions here in Germany. They do not only 4WD conversions fully certified by Mercedes, they're also an official Mercedes dealer since 1965, building 4WD conversions for 36 years now.
Many of their builds are used as base vehicles for fire trucks and ambulances.
I live about 15 minutes away from Iglhaut and had the chance to drive some of their products on and off road. They cut no corners on their builds.

billiebob

I've always had a love hate thing for the H1 Hummer. Loved the low profile, wide track, high clearance, mechanical systems but hated the cramped seating for 4. Maybe the best platform, incredible off road capability with zero practical potential as an RV. But the sky high lifts so popular today scare the bee gees out of me. And then they fill the roof with fluids and tents and off road recovery gear..... and a welded rack.

I shy away from exploring anywhere these massive lifted sky scrapers are running. And all to often they are driven by guys with big wallets but not enough experience. I've driven picker trucks, tow trucks, deck trucks often doing rescue work on mountain resource roads. But when I'm looking for that great camping spot the last thing I want to do is get stuck behind the guy blocking the trail or worse... be the first guy to arrive.

Weldtec Designs

Supporting Sponsor
There was some really cool sprinter vans at Sema 2019. We really haven't played with them much but def some really cool builds with expensive price tags!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94