Ford Bronco or Chevy K5 Blazer

jmartinez748

what do you guys think would make a better DD/weekend fun vehicle, the ford bronco or the chevy blazer (or any vehicle around that size and cost)? any input or reccomendations is always appreciated.

J&S Garage

I have an 86 bronco. As a dd it's grate other than gas mileage . A friend of mine hade me work on his blazer that hade an interment electrical problem and I drove it too work for a weak . All I can say is solid axle and will leave it at that.

Thinks for looking from
J&S Garage-works
Wildomar Ca.

Last edited:

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Which ever one has 1 ton axles swapped under it!

What xfer case is under old school FS Broncos?

I allways liked the look of the Dodge versions.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
My vote would be for the K5 or a Dodge Ram Charger. The goodies available in the aftermarket for the K5 is endless and they easily accept newer powertrains at a reasonable price to bring them up to modern performance standards and fuel economy. You just don’t see as much aftermarket support for the old Fords or people doing late model Ford engines in old Fords.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
The one with the least amount of rust! Both are good. I think the GM uses more common parts from one year to another. Aftermarket is good for both. Ford made them much later than GM so you can find a more modern version if that's what you're in to.

137buck

I've had both and would go with the k5 before the bronco any day, Solid axle in the front of the k5, more readily available aftermarket parts...the bronco I had, while I liked it, just couldn't keep ball joints in it long enough, and it had major play in the steering...was going to straight axle it until a buddy of mine offered the right amount for it and I sent it down the road.

4x4junkie

Explorer
I say Bronco.
The GM trucks for some reason always seemed cheaper-made to me, I guess because of the crack-prone frames and door hinges that get all sloppy (plus the hoods that kink if you look at them wrong while closing them). A couple of these issues were addressed in the '92up trucks, but then you got the weak A-arm IFS frontend w/clamshell diff to deal with.

This is not to say the Ford is perfect, but they seem to have fewer issues IME. The '92-'96 trucks seem to be best of the bunch.
The coil-sprung D44 TTB frontends IMO are every bit as good as the solid axle GM used if you set it up properly (mostly this just means getting the steering linkage back in alignment with the axle beams if you lift it, something very few lift kits do properly out of the box). They have a much better ride too.
Good quality ball joints will also last much longer in either frontend than the cheaper junk (FWIW, Moog doesn't seem that great anymore, stick with the Spicer (Raybestos) "Professional Grade" stuff).

78Bronco

Explorer
I like the ford product simply because the doors on my 78 bronco still shut like new. Dana 44 high pinion is far stronger than a Chevy 10 bolt low pinion pos front diff. Leaf springs up front provide a rougher ride on forestry roads versus the coil springs. You can swap in a 7.3L power stroke and ZF5 into a bronco very easily. Dana 60's can be installed quite easily and there is really strong ford aftermarket support.

1996 was the best year for the late models. 78-79 broncos have character and early broncos are cute little beasts.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I would reccomend the K5. All my Ford friends complain about the I beam front end in the Bronco. Chevy parts are 1/3 of Ford parts. Go with the Chevy....:)

Rot Box

Explorer
I think both have their pros/cons but either can make a very nice rig in the long run. I would definitely look into the Ramcharger's and 60 or 80 series Land Cruisers as well :)

J&S Garage

With bronco parts in mind all f150 parts are used on the broncos from the 80-87 and 87- 90 and 90-95. Stay away form the 96 that was the last year made and finding parts is hard most guys buy 95 parts.

As far as ttb front end goes in stock form it works well and gets travel numbers easy. If you lift it over 4 inch u will have problems if not done right . Ex drop down brackets for stock radius arms , not if it will brake but when .

If you have any questions with the broncos ask away. I will do my best too get you answers .

Thinks for looking from
J&S Garage-works
Wildomar Ca.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94