Ford E350 7.3 IDI mods, Uhaul Monster Camper Van?

UhaulerNavistar

Howdy Folks...just registered!

Anyone out there ever take an old Uhaul Box truck (1990) and convert it into a 4x4 RV for off road camping expeditions?

Wondering how expensive and much work it would be to go from the stock automatic tranny and dually rear axle drive train.....to adding a transfer case with front wheel drive (ZF5)?

Likewise, anyone take a naturally aspirated 7.3 IDI Navistar and aftermarket upgrade it with the Banks Turbo? I know the motors are slightly different: http://www.dieselhub.com/idi/7.3-idi.html

All thoughts and knuckle busting wisdom appreciated!

6gun

If you're talking about an E350/450 then you need go no farther than U-Joint Off Road conversion kit. If you're talking about an MDT there are several options including the hydraulic wheel motors that do not require lifting the truck any, they just kick in when extra traction needed. If you're wanting true off-road capability in an MDT you'd be miles ahead to find a truck that was already 4X4 and swap the U-Haul box onto it. Or at least rob the parts off the 4X4 for your conversion. My opinions are worth every penny you paid.

cabnetguy

There are a few guys that have built rigs from u-haul trucks that have threads here on expo. Here are a couple
and

What chassis are you using? If it the e-350 cut-away, U-Joint kits if I remember right are for 1992 and newer vans.
I have a 1994 e-350 17' U-haul with an 7.3 IDI that I am getting ready to start. I can't justify the money for a 4x4 conversion so I will be going with weldtec's lift kit and a locker in the rear. Weldtec also has a lift kit that will work on your generation of truck if it is a van based chassis.
There are lots of guys on here with an incredible amount of knowledge that can help you out.

Looking forward to watching your build!

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
I put a banks aftermarket turbo kit on my IFI 6.9 same kit I think. Upgraded the injection pump from moose over on Oilburners dot net they also have a,FB page...hands down best IDI resource on the internet!!

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Ole Chipper

Might I suggest you look for a newer box van. Stay with the 7.3l just look for a newer 2000-2003. Have a couple IDI f350's and the newer motor is well worth the investment. Snagged this little beauty for less then 1k. 16' 2001 E450.

Attachments

• DSC02392.JPG
    DSC02392.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC02396.JPG
    DSC02396.JPG
    164.2 KB · Views: 16

jonathon

What are you wanting out of it? The 7.3 IDI is a good engine but there isn’t much out there for them as far as power adders and they are slugs. Easy to keep running, just be aware of block worm as the IDI engines seem to be more susceptible to it. They start easy until you get bad glow plugs or leaking injector caps.

I had a 6.9 with a Banks Turbo kit. It did very well, but guzzled diesel due to having 4.10 gears and a C6 transmission. My best tank was 13 all interstate. Super easy to work on though, changed a water pump and radiator on the side of the road. The injector caps were a dumb design but at least simple to repair. The Stanadyne injection pumps aren’t the most durable unless you run some additives regularly, it’s been forever and I can’t remember what I used. My grandfather has a 7.3 with a ZF5 behind it that he’s had since new. 240k and nothing but a water pump, couple radiators, and a set of injectors. Always runs Napacool and a fuel additive. Still surprises me he’s on his original injection pump. He gets 20-22 MPG pretty regularly but it’s no PSD and is a slug.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior