Ford E350

dar395

Adventurer
DSCN1156.JPG

You start seeing colors added, simple but more enjoyable on a rainy day.

DSCN1155.JPG

Between the front seats we use a simple igloo Ice Box cooler from a garage sale, $5 and it keeps all of our maps, camera, field glasses while traveling as needed,

DSCN1158.JPG

Here you can see the dishes in place as well as paper plates,

DSCN1159.JPG

Frig in use as we travel,

DSCN1160.JPG

More color added as well as showing where that small cushion is placed for travel as well as table use, the oak trim board passing along on the head board also ties together the rear bulkhead from side to side and allows support mounts for the rear storage unit this works well for controlling move ment of the wall while on the road,

DSCN1161.JPG

DSCN1162.JPG

Two photo's showing storage in use and the support rails for the removable bed support board,

dar395

Adventurer
DSCN1164.JPG

12v TV for rainy days or long nights, can extend for watching outside or from the front seat,

DSCN1165.JPG

This photo shows the refrig being plugged in the convertor supply line,

DSCN1157.JPG

Photo shows the two teir storage system in use with the top unit containing items that need to be reached at all times, with less used items in the bottom rack,

DSCN1166.JPG

This photo shows the frig plugged into 110v system,

DSCN1167.JPG

Removable bed support in place,

DSCN1168.JPG

Showing where the bed support in in relation to the pull out table,

dar395

Adventurer
DSCN1180.JPG

showing rear bulkhead in use,

DSCN1179.JPG

Full view of rear area,

DSCN1170.JPG

Side door in use for outside tools, fire starters,

DSCN1181.JPG

Showing close up of water fill and shower unit.

DSCN1182.JPG

Sower unit view and electric cord storage along with electric supply system,

DSCN1183.JPG

Electric control panel from RV source showing 110v and 12v in a clean one piece unit that also contains battery charger,

Last edited:

Corneilius

Adventurer
I love the color, patterns and wood grain. Awesome build out. The hours really add up. So many people say "I can build an interior way cheaper/faster/better than that". They have no idea hahah

dar395

Adventurer
Looks just like the converter in my T@B rv

Hey I'll tell ya: for $115 brand new and looking at some of the wired masses I think it is the best for myself. I did the same unit in the GMC past van and it worked well there and happy with it in this one.

dar395

Adventurer
DSCN1171.JPG

DSCN1172.JPG

DSCN1173.JPG

DSCN1174.JPG

DSCN1176.JPG

DSCN1178.JPG

Just a group of photo's showing how clean of a Gov surplus van she turned out to be, from the inside of the door jams to barely a door nick in the body!

DSCN1186.JPG

Folding Side step that came with the van was kept in use,

DSCN1187.JPG

Dash area just as clean with one marks,

We both enjoy history so I thought that I'd take some shots of her where the people that make history go!:bowdown:

dar395

Adventurer
DSCN1146.JPGDSCN1150.JPGDSCN1147.JPG

If your willing to cross over the fence you still can find a project like this old Hudson, the van is in the one photo as we're coming out of Cincinnati Ohio this past week.

dar395

Adventurer
DSCN1141.JPG

She looks at home on the city street in Cincinnati Ohio (No holes in the body), if you look to the rear you'll see why I'm there (As always someone needed to pee!):rally_guys:

dar395

Adventurer
Time spent in the build!

Adding up my records I think I spent about 233 hours in the build with another 34 hours approx. in shopping and on-line searching. There are other things like an awning and three shelves along with trim work that I need to complete, but all in all she is useable as is. So 267 total hours +/- a few it was a good build!

dar395

Adventurer
My Cost of the E350 Budget Build!

View attachment 361685

This is the end of my "Budget Build" but not the "Van Build" as I have a lot of ideas that I would like to add over time but the build is at the point is just what I wanted to show in the budget zone where almost anyone could have a great traveling van. If your logging in the AWD Van photo is really what I thought I'd had ended up with when we purchased it. I was going to make her my budget van base. BUTT! I have had this habit where I drive all of my auto's and trucks for FREE! and I needed to prove to myself that I could use my talents to do it with a campervan. I strayed from starting the AWD build and spent my time in researching Autotrader and Craigslist to just see what an AWD with just 40k miles was worth, and the wheels started to turn. I have a thing or 2 to work with I have patience's and I can take a day and go if I need to as well as I trust buying through the GSA Auctions.

I paid $2,960 for the van about $375 to get her back to Michigan and about $800 in all to get her up for sale, craigslist sale so no cost there. I cleared $7700 and this was my budget # for a new build, I do not try to find auto's to sell but I wanted to see if you could do this with no cost or free. My old van (GMC) I also sold for just a bit more than I had in her. This is where the E350 build started!

We.ve had the chance to do a little traveling in the E350, 15 days (nights) and we know this is a great upgrade from the GMC just because of what we have learned over the past 3 & 1/2 years. We've done a beach front trip, City Urban trip and now a fire road trip the van is in great shape and a member of our family and way under budget. With the money burning we're hitting the road again this week.

This is a close break down of our cost more or less.

Cost of the 2001 E-350 15pass Super Duty Van $2,911, Transportation from Tn to Mi by 1st Rate Transport out of Elkhardt Is $400 plus a Drivers tip of $50, State sales tax $120, New battery $115, Tires (Firestone TransForce A/T 10 ply) $630 after $60 rebate, Water Tank (e-bay) $65, Elec Service w/battery charger $115, 12v water pump $58, Plywood $220, Stain and Polycoating $70, 120v 3.3cu foot Refrig $130, Power Convertor Harbor freight $140, JoAnn's fabric $170, Touch-up paint $35, Wood Flooring (Clearance) $16, 700w Mircowave $32, Screws $15, Ikea Mattress $110, Battery Boxes $40, Radio (Dash) $80, Wood trim $30, Lights (Celing) $10, Sink and faucet $55, Folding table $30, Front and rear hitches $170, Winch and mount platform (Harbor Freight) $220, Paint Cleaner $40, Snaps for drapes $42, Seat base $165, Venting fan $45, Tile for counters $35, Side window wind/sun visors $30, Water plumbing $58, House battery cable wires $64, More oak trim $32, House batteries $188, Misc plumping and electric $19, Mics small receipts $217.

Total Build $5,764 and only 46,000 miles on her.

Very clean van now with out any rust, we hope to turn the wheels for a few years of enjoyment!

You will see a TV, DVD PlayerGrill, Stove and Buddy Heater and a few odds and ends but these are items not purchased in this build just assets we had along with the roof bars.

When I started I thought the window van was going to be harder to build, this turned out to be the opposite I now feel it saved $300-$400 dollars as well as 100 hours of build time as well as I got rear air and dome lights to boot.

The windows were already Limo Tinted and the bottom of the body has rock guard already in place which I feel also saved $1,000+!:rally_guys:

I'll always enjoy your ************ wheels, lifts, tires and stereo; but hey my factory gray wheels are turning out there on the road as well!

Last edited:

dar395

Adventurer
View attachment 361685

This is the end of my "Budget Build" but not the "Van Build" as I have a lot of ideas that I would like to add over time but the build is at the point is just what I wanted to show in the budget zone where almost anyone could have a great traveling van. If your logging in the AWD Van photo is really what I thought I'd had ended up with when we purchased it. I was going to make her my budget van base. BUTT! I have had this habit where I drive all of my auto's and trucks for FREE! and I needed to prove to myself that I could use my talents to do it with a campervan. I strayed from starting the AWD build and spent my time in researching Autotrader and Craigslist to just see what an AWD with just 40k miles was worth, and the wheels started to turn. I have a thing or 2 to work with I have patience's and I can take a day and go if I need to as well as I trust buying through the GSA Auctions.

I paid $2,960 for the van about $375 to get her back to Michigan and about $800 in all to get her up for sale, craigslist sale so no cost there. I cleared $7700 and this was my budget # for a new build, I do not try to find auto's to sell but I wanted to see if you could do this with no cost or free. My old van (GMC) I also sold for just a bit more than I had in her. This is where the E350 build started!

We.ve had the chance to do a little traveling in the E350, 15 days (nights) and we know this is a great upgrade from the GMC just because of what we have learned over the past 3 & 1/2 years. We've done a beach front trip, City Urban trip and now a fire road trip the van is in great shape and a member of our family and way under budget. With the money burning we're hitting the road again this week.

This is a close break down of our cost more or less.

Cost of the 2001 E-350 15pass Super Duty Van $2,911, Transportation from Tn to Mi by 1st Rate Transport out of Elkhardt Is $400 plus a Drivers tip of $50, State sales tax $120, New battery $115, Tires (Firestone TransForce A/T 10 ply) $630 after $60 rebate, Water Tank (e-bay) $65, Elec Service w/battery charger $115, 12v water pump $58, Plywood $220, Stain and Polycoating $70, 120v 3.3cu foot Refrig $130, Power Convertor Harbor freight $140, JoAnn's fabric $170, Touch-up paint $35, Wood Flooring (Clearance) $16, 700w Mircowave $32, Screws $15, Ikea Mattress $110, Battery Boxes $40, Radio (Dash) $80, Wood trim $30, Lights (Celing) $10, Sink and faucet $55, Folding table $30, Front and rear hitches $170, Winch and mount platform (Harbor Freight) $220, Paint Cleaner $40, Snaps for drapes $42, Seat base $165, Venting fan $45, Tile for counters $35, Side window wind/sun visors $30, Water plumbing $58, House battery cable wires $64, More oak trim $32, House batteries $188, Misc plumping and electric $19, Mics small receipts $217.

Total Build $5,764 and only 46,000 miles on her.

Very clean van now with out any rust, we hope to turn the wheels for a few years of enjoyment!

You will see a TV, DVD PlayerGrill, Stove and Buddy Heater and a few odds and ends but these are items not purchased in this build just assets we had along with the roof bars.

When I started I thought the window van was going to be harder to build, this turned out to be the opposite I now feel it saved $300-$400 dollars as well as 100 hours of build time as well as I got rear air and dome lights to boot.

The windows were already Limo Tinted and the bottom of the body has rock guard already in place which I feel also saved $1,000+!:rally_guys:

I'll always enjoy your ************ wheels, lifts, tires and stereo; but hey my factory gray wheels are turning out there on the road as well!

Sorry but I missed a receipt when posting the cost of the build! In cleaning up the garage there she was the invoice from RockAuto being the door handles, cable rear bumper and misc crap for another $317, So the total of the build is closer to: $6,081 But Hey our Trips are going to be Price less!:campfire:

dar395

Adventurer
We've been putting a few miles as well as nights on the van, spending three nights down in the Pontiac Lake Rec Area here in Michigan with a little Urban exploring.

DSCN1190.JPG

She looks nice out in the woods as she should,

DSCN1191.JPGDSCN1192.JPG

Nice and clean as she sits in camp,

DSCN1193.JPGDSCN1194.JPG

The van works very well not only for the bed set-up (In under a minute) but the table for cards, glass of wine with a great movie!

dar395

Adventurer
After a great nights sleep we were able to break camp in about 6 minute's after having breakfast, pull the plug (120v), closed the vent and we're off!

DSCN1205.JPG

Tune's on the radio and a quick meal! we were off to the urban Jungle!

DSCN1198.JPGDSCN1199.JPG

as we're leaving I saw this home built trailer,

DSCN1201.JPG

and.....than as we hit the road! we were attending "Mass Mobs" in one of the slum area's of Detroit, not catholic by any means but if you are around the Detroit area and like the urban sights as well as the explore factor you should catch one, the other is the ride Detroit bike tours that leave Wayne State this is a great Urban trip as well I'll share the sights soon! We're off to the West side of Michigan doing the beach towns this long week end and I need to pack as I'm told, got love it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles