Ford F350 Shock Upgrade Recommendations

TexasSixSeven

Observer
I had a 17’ 350 SRW Super Duty and now have a 22’ 250 Super Duty. I just installed the Fox 2.0 DSC Adjustable shock from Accutune at almost 7K miles. I’m very pleased with the ride and performance of them so far. Limited to streets, gravel, and some rougher lease roads so far, but they’ve been very pleasant. If you’re loaded up the large majority of the time I’d skip the adjusters, and just order the Fox 2.0 with Adventure tune from Accutune for $650ish per pair.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Not sure how much you are looking to spend, but if you want the best then call Accutune and they can set you up with Fox or King shocks. If you are looking for an off the shelf solution....Bilstein has a few different levels as does Fox.
I need to go by Accutune. My King 2.5's are way too stiff up front. I had Thuren's 3" soft springs. They turned out to be too soft so I switched to Carli's stiffer springs and now I'm getting beat to death.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I had Rancho 9000's (9 way adjustable shocks) on my last truck (Chevrolet Duramax). I found that I was either way too lazy or way too disinterested to actually get under the truck and adjust them. I always had this attitude of good enough. That truck also had an extra leaf spring and Firestone airbags.

I just recently had the Firestone airbags in the current truck replaced with a newly designed set of airbags that Firestone just came out with. I didn't expect the ride to be any different but I was absolutely amazed at the improvement that I've experienced. It rode like a truck before, but it now rides like a car/ truck (if that makes sense).

I Googled the Bilstein 5100's and found that O'Reilly's has them for $90 each plus 20 % off if one orders online. Maybe that's a good fit for me ? Possibly they're a step up from stock yet nothing crazy expensive ?
I had Rancho 9000's on my 98.5 Ram with popup. I never could find a sweet sweet spot. The new Chevy offroad edition has Rancho's on them. Junk.

chet6.7

Explorer
I had Rauncho 9000's on my 97 Ram, I wasn't impressed. I put them on the stiffest setting, they also rusted so I could not change the settings even if I wanted to.

I think I've made the decision to go with the Bilstein 5100's. They seem to be an upgrade from the stock shocks and that's really all I need or wanted. I'm just not one of those guys that needs the best nor am I looking to build a super impressive rig. This was more about maintenance. I just want to go camping in the forest and the desert for days on end. I've got the old beater Jeep if it gets really rough.

I'm struggling to figure which model number to get (front & rear). My truck has no lift but they seem to be built for 1", 2.5" to 4", and 6" lifts. What am I missing ? Does it mean that they're long enough to accommodate that size lift ? Should I order the 1" lift ? O'Reilly's couldn't answer the question yesterday and suggested that maybe the F350 comes with a factory installed lift. Anyone know for sure ?

Regarding Rancho, my Jeep also has them. Just installed the fourth free set last month as they had a life time guarantee when I purchased the first set roughly 20 years ago. I'm guessing Rancho wishes I'd die or sell that old beater. I'll never sell it.....

Slocral46

The 5100 is a good choice. The 1" covers from 0" to 1" of lift. Les schwab can confirm that if you go through them. I got a quote from them on the 5100's for my F150. They were much higher than buying the shock online. They explained that it was due to the warranty they provide. I ended up buying online and installing myself. Easy job on 05 F150.

Slocral46 / klahanie.....So yea I'm actually struggling to find Bilstein 5100's for my truck. I'm not so sure that they are an option for the F350. I just emailed Bilstein for a recommendation.

montypower.....I'm not looking to get into a debate and I have no reason not to believe you. Whenever I bought climbing gear & diving equipment in the past, I only bought the best cause it was important to me & I felt I needed it. But when it comes to truck suspension, I'm just not into it. If I was doing a real build, if I was headed overseas to many of the third world countries that I've traveled to in my past, I'd make entirely different choices (including the truck). I bought my first truck camper (BigFoot 9.4) in July, 2005. I've got nearly 400,000 miles with a truck camper under my belt of which all of it is traveled 100 % in North America. I've just never felt the need for a high end suspension on those roads. I've never lost control of my rig and I don't recall ever feeling uncomfortable behind the wheel. I have no idea what you drive but if you want better suspension than stock (or near stock) then I say go for it. I'm not here to judge. FWIW I rarely post outside of In Progress Adventures.....that's my comfort zone. I just want to go camping.

tacollie

Glamper
Bilstein recommends the 4600s for stock trucks. People run the 2" lift Bilstein 5100s on stock trucks. It's pretty common on the Super Duty forums. I'm my experience the 2" Bilsteins are to short for a 2" lift.

Slocral46

Try the bilstein US online catalog. You punch in your make/model info. I'd send you the link if I knew how. It also comes up on a search for bilstein fitment guide.

ramblinChet

Wow, little did I realize how many suspension experts we had on here...

Selecting shock and adjusting them goes well beyond, "It feels better to me." My recommendation is you disregard all the useless information posted so far and contact a suspension manufacturer and discuss your requirements. Don't call a "shop" that installs them since most likely they have no pertinent knowledge either. Remember, their number one goal is to sell you something.

Another option is to find an industry professional who is very experienced with the type of vehicle, terrain, and driving style you find yourself in most often. A set of adjustable race shocks is a great choice for a lightweight high-horsepower vehicle that routinely travels in excess of 100 MPH off road. For a one-ton with a camper that wallows along at 10-25 MPH...why would anyone believe there is any similarity?

If you current shocks are serving you well and not leaking, there is no need to change them. If you are happy with their performance and you still desire new ones, go with the same. If you want to begin designing your own suspension system begin taking measurements and talk with a manufacturer. They are going to need detailed information regarding the type of terrain you travel most often, your revised center-of-gravity, spring rates and weights for all four corners, your driving style, etc.

4000lbsOfGoat

that look as though they've spent a fortune on their suspensions and I can't help but wonder why ?
Because the suspension is where all of the dynamic forces are concentrated...Bumpers, winches, racks, lights, etc., etc. are all just accessories. Suspension is what separates the rig from the ground. A "fortune" spent on suspension reduces the stress on the whole rest of the rig. Caveat: this does not hold true for airbags which actually put stress on the frame at points where it is not designed for stress. Unless you're talking about a rig that was specifically designed to use airbags, they are just band-aids, not "suspension".

ramblinChet.....the existing shocks aren't leaking yet and this would be called preventive maintenance. I had the truck in the diesel shop a few weeks ago for maintenance and the diesel mechanic said something like "man, you work that truck hard don't you ?". He said the transmission fluid was nearly black (he changed it and the filter). The truck was getting hot on long steep pulls in the mountains. He flushed the radiator and cleaned the ribs (?) as they were caked in grime as well. The air filter was packed in dirt / dust (replaced it) and the mass flow sensor was sending a "service engine soon" code (I'm told that's caused by dirt infiltrating it and causing it to fail). I also had the cabin air filter and both of the fuel filters replaced as well.

400lbsofGoat.....the airbags are simply to help bring it back to It's original position. It's a big camper and I tend to pack it when we head out to do our thing. Several years ago I added leaf springs which helped quite a bit with the load.

I was hoping that Bilstein would send me a recommendation but I've yet to hear back from them.

I appreciate everyone's input. It seems like Bilstein is affordable, durable, and that it performs well (based on recommendations here and on-line). If I can get 65,000 miles out of the next set of shocks I think I'd be pleased.

One of the lessons I've learned from all my years on the road is that you're much better off getting mechanic work done in your hometown (assuming you have one.....I don't always). Once you hit the road, it's a whole new world. I'll never forget the guy in Arizona that replaced the rear axle on my Jeep. The first time I used it the rear wheels fell off. He said "how'd that happen ?". A week later I took it to a shop in New Mexico to get his work checked out and it turned out that he had put the wrong rear end in it.....and that was a nightmare.....which only got worse.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94