Ford F550 Flatbed Build for Existing Truck Camper (Driven to Adventures)

Hello Everyone!

We (Greg & Ginger) started traveling full-time in our truck camper on April 26th of this year. We have plans to head into Central America this fall. Our original setup was a 2005 Ford F350 dually carrying a modified Camp Lite truck camper. (we removed all propane, installed diesel heat and hot water, solar, etc. You can see some of those upgrades here.)
LRG_DSC01760.jpg

We had planned to remove the bed of that truck and install a flatbed with custom storage but once we hit the road and got to the scales fully loaded, we were shocked to find that we were significantly overweight. The cause is likely several factors - 600lb of AGM batteries and an entire backseat full of tools that Greg just couldn't part with didn't help.

I should note, we were over the manufacturers weight rating, not the actual axel weight rating but if we were to get in an accident, the manufacturers weight rating is all they care about and we learned that insurance could deny a claim if they discovered we were overweight. This eliminated the idea of beefing up the suspension to account for the extra weight.

So..... after just over a month on the road, we bought a new truck. It's a 2001 Ford F550, 7.3 with manual transmission, 180k miles. Our F350 had the 6.0 engine and we had planned to bulletproof it in September so once we made the decision to upgrade, we knew we wanted the 7.3.

Here is the new truck just as we purchased it
LRG_YEL03267.jpg

Plans for this new base rig
Screen Shot 2019-08-06 at 12.01.46 PM.png
*Continental MPT81 tires which will get rid of the duallys and allow us to carry just 1 spare. Due to our weight, our choice of tire was limited to this class.
*Modify the existing flatbed for the bigger tires
*Build a custom "gear locker" between the cab and camper
*Build custom camper storage boxes along both sides of the bed under the camper
*Create mounting system directly to the flatbed
*Airlift air bags
*Upgrade shocks
*Swap bumpers so we can keep our Iron Bull bumper and Baja Designs light setup on the new truck

This isn't an overly complex or fancy build and I hesitated to even post a thread about it. BUT..... perhaps it's a build that will help someone in some way.

This video goes over our plans

And this video shows the modification of the bed for the larger tires as well as some other touch ups

Currently we're starting to build the custom storage boxes in the rear. This project will progress as quickly as possible so we can get back on the road!

Thanks for reading,
Ginger

sancap

Nice build! Back in 2004-2006 we lived full time in an Arctic Fox truck camper and a flatbed 550. We weren't quite overlanding at the time but had a lot of fun. It will be fun following this build.

Attachments

• 550.jpg
    550.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 227
  • 550a.jpg
    550a.jpg
    392.8 KB · Views: 233

Porkchopexpress

SherpTek designed a nice flatbed system that is camper compatible. If you haven’t already looked, I think it would be worth checking out the pictures on their website for ideas.

SherpTek designed a nice flatbed system that is camper compatible. If you haven’t already looked, I think it would be worth checking out the pictures on their website for ideas.

We got a quote from them and it was sadly WAY out of our budget. It’s a great lightweight system though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Good luck with the build! Looks like you are off to a great start, with some good ideas.

I also went with a cross-body box (gear locker) on our build.
The bed alone was quite the project, but is nearly 100% done.
It was designed from the ground up to fit our custom camper,
and utilizes a torsion free 3-point pivot mount.

I went with a steel frame, skinned with .090 aluminum for the box.
Also cannibalized a couple of large under-body boxes for the large door frames, doors, seals, and hardware.
Shiny right now (stainless), but the doors will also be raptor lined to match the bed.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

40909660933_57383b83df_b.jpg

48165003911_68de14805e_b.jpg

48391818786_b651ba4113_b.jpg

Porkchopexpress

We got a quote from them and it was sadly WAY out of our budget. It’s a great lightweight system though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I assumed from your post that you were going to fabricate the bed yourself, (unfortunately I don’t have that skill). I was just thinking you could copy design elements that you liked from the website.
Since you got a quote, mind if I ask what ballpark they are in? They don’t post prices but I get the impression they run about 12-25K?

Frostbit907

I assumed from your post that you were going to fabricate the bed yourself, (unfortunately I don’t have that skill). I was just thinking you could copy design elements that you liked from the website.
Since you got a quote, mind if I ask what ballpark they are in? They don’t post prices but I get the impression they run about 12-25K?

I would also be interested in knowing the ballpark price range you found from Sherptek

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
For reference, Ive got near 10k just in materials into mine. 100% custom, and all done myself.

Knowing what I have into mine, both materials and labor, if I were to hire something like this out, or build something similar for a client, I wouldn't expect anything short of 20k.

48514195421_435b8f2e6d_b.jpg

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
For reference, Ive got near 10k just in materials into mine. 100% custom, and all done myself.
Knowing what I have into mine, both materials and labor, if I were to hire something like this out, or build something similar for a client, I wouldn't expect anything short of 20k.

And worth every cent! Yours is absolutely perfectly designed for my needs as well, and i drool over it! Great work

gdaut

A bit off topic, but Idasho, it looks like you use your truck with the camper off, and the camper does not look light (well, it looks light for a camper that size, but it is still probably 2-3,000 lbs). What suspension does your truck have? Springs stiff enough to support the camper would seem to be too stiff for the truck with no camper. Airbags?

rruff

Explorer

Kenny, does this have a pivot like your old one? Also wondering how much articulation and tire clearance you have.

I decided to do a flatbed style on mine. Crossed up it looks like I'm going to need at least 8" of vertical clearance if I don't want it to rub.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier