Ford Fullsize Thread !!!!

B^2

Observer
Replaced my 2000 Lexus LX470 with this 2017 F150, and absolutely adore the truck. My approach with this one is keeping the more aesthetic “overland“ mods to a minimum and use the mistakes I made with the LX to govern the direction I take with the Fiddy. It has the Coyote, 3.31 gears, 36 gallon tank and rear locker. Filling up to see 700+ miles of range is nothing short of amazing to me and being able to obtain 20+ mpg on the highway is phenomenal given the power on tap. The plan is to just tent camp and keep things minimal, though I did ”modify‘ the tool box with plugs so that I can run a 1000W inverter setup I made with a pack out system. Pack out box sits in the tool box when I need it, and is easy to take out when I need the space. Given a trip into the WNC woods last weekend, aggressive tires (stock size), sliders and skid plating. That will honestly round out most of the modifications I make to the vehicle, as my hope is to actually focus on using it to get to places.
What was the impetus from going from a Land Cruiser to a truck? Seems like the market on land cruisers is definitely softer now.

Rosco862003

Adventurer
What was the impetus from going from a Land Cruiser to a truck? Seems like the market on land cruisers is definitely softer now.
Building in what JClifton said, a truck is far more versatile for my needs and situation. My girlfriend and I own a bounce house business in Western NC and often go down long narrow driveways to set up. The ability to simply put a unit in the bed and get 18mpg vs hooking up a trailer every single time has been huge for me. Outside of that, the LX has lived up to its name and delivered unparalleled reliability and capability, but it’s just not for me. If the third row is up, space runs out very quickly. I have 6 seats in the F150, and obviously stil have room for days in the bed. I absolutely adore this truck and regret not getting it sooner honestly.

B^2

Observer
I'd skip the F250 and just go to the F350. Same size / foot print / fuel 'economy'. Especially if considering a hard wall camper like a Lance.

For us we found a half ton truck with a 21' trailer (with single bunks) was a good fit for 2 adults, 2 to 3 kids and a dog.

Your mileage may vary..... Also think about now and how it will work for future use. Case in point:

Our kids are now older / grown up so, the single bunks are a tight fit. So thinking about a trailer with double bunks now.

the game between a travel trailer and a hard camper like a Lance is tough. I’d love to get off the beaten path a bit to explore which rules out a travel trailer but with two kiddos and a dog a Lance is tight.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
the game between a travel trailer and a hard camper like a Lance is tough. I’d love to get off the beaten path a bit to explore which rules out a travel trailer but with two kiddos and a dog a Lance is tight.
Trailer = basecamp. Ditch the trailer and go explore. Beats having to pack up camp every time you want to drive the truck....

Or, if someone wants to hang at camp while other go exploring, they have that option as well. (If camping with the whole Fam)

B^2

Observer
Trailer = basecamp. Ditch the trailer and go explore. Beats having to pack up camp every time you want to drive the truck....

Or, if someone wants to hang at camp while other go exploring, they have that option as well. (If camping with the whole Fam)

definitely like the idea of having a base camp, it just becomes whether we are dropping the trailer at a campground and venturing or going off the grid a little and dropping it. It's kinda nice to be able to camp on BLM land without other folks around.

Mymannjay03

What’s up guys! Brand new to the forms, I have a 21’ f150 with the 5.0.
E55D59AF-6326-4CEA-9478-2E1347CE02AE.jpeg99FCC9AD-2A97-4B64-BE70-A94BAEA4232D.jpeg04146F3D-9C42-459E-B9BC-40BC704E8CC8.jpegStill working on getting it set up the way I want it, but so far loving it. If anyone has suggestions on “must have” upgrades for a good balanced off road daily that can handle good trails, let me know! Currently all that’s been done was bilstein 5100’s, KO 2’s and ditch lights.

skrypj

definitely like the idea of having a base camp, it just becomes whether we are dropping the trailer at a campground and venturing or going off the grid a little and dropping it. It's kinda nice to be able to camp on BLM land without other folks around.

I have a Jayfeather X213 and live in Utah. 90% of my camping is BLM or national forest boondock sites. The thing is a low rider on fairly small Carlisle Trail HD's but it will get into some gnarly spots. If you get a trailer with some decent ground clearance, I really dont think it would be a huge issue.

The biggest thing I would say is the width. My trailer is 8' wide, but having a narrower 7' wide trailer would be super nice on tighter forest roads.

phsycle

Adventurer
What’s up guys! Brand new to the forms, I have a 21’ f150 with the 5.0.
Still working on getting it set up the way I want it, but so far loving it. If anyone has suggestions on “must have” upgrades for a good balanced off road daily that can handle good trails, let me know! Currently all that’s been done was bilstein 5100’s, KO 2’s and ditch lights.

All I’ve done is AT tires and I’ve been on plenty of backcountry roads. I’d like to get a high rise shell next for quick camp set up when it’s just me or with one of my kids.

I’d say make sure you have some recovery gear, and just get out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz