FORD OBS.......is it just me, or are prices creeping up?

jrose609

Explorer
I've been watching prices of Ford OBS trucks on Craigslist and EBay for a little while. Is it just me, or are the prices creeping up?

A 1997 F350 7.3 PS 4x4 can run anywhere from $10k up to $22k depending on mileage and condition. Mileage actually seems to be a little less important. I know the 7.3 is a great motor, but how many miles can a person expect from one?

I love the straight lines of the OBS Fords. I know several guys on the forum must too. Papawheely, Seabass, AMGvr4, and several other guys have done some really great things with the OBS. Lots of other guys too. I don't want to leave you other guys out!

So, just wondering your thoughts. Will a 1992-1997 F250 or F30 hold value? Are they good trucks for a daily driver (yes I know they are spendy to run).

Marine

Adventurer
Good to know the prices are creeping up "under a bridge!":ylsmoke:

Lol sorry, lower Michigan. but I have seen a few that were priced within reason. Guess it depends on the owner, case in point my softail isn't worth much to me, but my panhead well I would sell my wife first.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I've been watching prices of Ford OBS trucks on Craigslist and EBay for a little while. Is it just me, or are the prices creeping up?

A 1997 F350 7.3 PS 4x4 can run anywhere from $10k up to $22k depending on mileage and condition. Mileage actually seems to be a little less important. I know the 7.3 is a great motor, but how many miles can a person expect from one?

I love the straight lines of the OBS Fords. I know several guys on the forum must too. Papawheely, Seabass, AMGvr4, and several other guys have done some really great things with the OBS. Lots of other guys too. I don't want to leave you other guys out!

So, just wondering your thoughts. Will a 1992-1997 F250 or F30 hold value? Are they good trucks for a daily driver (yes I know they are spendy to run).

I looked at one a few days ago, mid 90s, that was just under $30k. Guys have gone bat-******** crazy on the price because they think the 7.3 is gods gift to the automotive world and nothing else matters. Seriously. I just joined a few OBS and/or 7.3 specific groups on spacebook looking to keep my eyes out for a decent OBS rig. Guys advertise and will list everything about the 7.3 but not a dang thing about the rest of the truck. Useful things like power locks/windows/cruise, etc. For them it begins and ends at 7.3.

The folks in the OBS geoup are pretty decent but the 7.3 Powerstroke group is just chock full of immature Gen Something's that think rolling coal is just the greatest thing in the world and if it doesn't start with 7.3 it's garbage. I'm hangin tough and keeping my eyes open but man, they aren't making it easy. :)

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Some are priced low but usually get picked up very quickly. The new and upcoming fad is diesel. Coal Rollers is what its called I think. I partly blame the Diesel Brothers show for making it increasingly popular. Its even made me look at a few diesels.

The 7.3 is a great motor and lasts forever. Makes me wonder how a professionally built bulletproofed 6.0L is as far as reliability. The price difference between a truck with the 6.0 and the 7.3 is vastly different.

(my opinion is based on the SoCal market)

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I looked at one a few days ago, mid 90s, that was just under $30k. Guys have gone bat-******** crazy on the price because they think the 7.3 is gods gift to the automotive world and nothing else matters. Seriously. I just joined a few OBS and/or 7.3 specific groups on spacebook looking to keep my eyes out for a decent OBS rig. Guys advertise and will list everything about the 7.3 but not a dang thing about the rest of the truck. Useful things like power locks/windows/cruise, etc. For them it begins and ends at 7.3.

The folks in the OBS geoup are pretty decent but the 7.3 Powerstroke group is just chock full of immature Gen Something's that think rolling coal is just the greatest thing in the world and if it doesn't start with 7.3 it's garbage. I'm hangin tough and keeping my eyes open but man, they aren't making it easy. :)

haha you beat me to it.

F350joe

The 7.3 is the last diesel truck that does not have all engine killing smog stuff. In California, and I suspect in other states, the smog test for pre 2003 diesels is much more relaxed, not cat. required, just a visual smoke inspection. That means you can run tunes and other mods yet still be legal, just make sure to switch to stock tune. I think prices will stay high on them because the later years are know to be very expensive to repair, they will need it, and the recession meant not as many diesel trucks were made or sold so less used inventory.

The 7.3 has a ton of mods that can keep gearheads busy for years, it can become addictive. Kids can't afford a new truck so they end up with a broken 7.3 and just say it rolls coal because they can't admit that they have a broken truck.

And yeah, the FB groups make me feel ashamed to drive a diesel. Don't want anything to do with that stereotype, rolling coal and crushing deer.

Just my opinions and I am biased.

Passing sports cars, while climbing over a steep grade, while towing a boat is awesome btw

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
The 7.3 is nothing special, yeah its cheap to work on, but it leaks oil and it wont last any longer than anything else. Anyone paying 22k for a obs powerstroke needs their head examined.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Diesel engines are "in" now but even gas powered OBS Fords are very popular. OBS Broncos are in huge demand for desert prerunners. I had never owned a Ford in my life before getting my obs. I wanted a manual trans, and a strong truck. The design of the truck is just pleasing to look at.

Happykamper

Explorer
The 7.3 is fords holy grail. The prices are and will continue to creep and at times skyrocket up. I have one I bought new. The only rig I ever kept :). Yay for me. But I have a really nice low mile 6.0 that is bulletproofed also and it not only has more power but is more efficient to me. I love the 6.0. I have put 39k on it with just normal maintenance. And when I bought it 4 years ago because no one wanted these rigs I got it for next to nothing. It's a lariat short bed. The 7.3 is very reliable, the only thing needed on it is a beefed up transmission. But I don't think if if I did not already own one I would run out and pay that kind of $$$ for one.

KE7JFF

Adventurer
A while back I was helping some friends of friends who were about to have triplets in their life find a nice Econoline van; looking all over the Pacific NW, I found either anything diesel in the E-series had jacked up pricing and talking to to sellers, they kept telling "it has a clean title!" I ended up finding a nice 1995 E450 with the IDI 7.3 that the lady was almost giving away because she would have someone go look at it then complain its not a PowerStroke...

Clutch

<---Pass
Diesel engines are "in" now but even gas powered OBS Fords are very popular. OBS Broncos are in huge demand for desert prerunners. I had never owned a Ford in my life before getting my obs. I wanted a manual trans, and a strong truck. The design of the truck is just pleasing to look at.

Kinda crazy how popular they have become, seems like in the last couple years the bump and dent sides...have become hugely popular among the Prerunner set...of course not much of the original truck is left.

I dunno, we had a '84 fullsize Bronco, girlfriend had a 90's something Bronco, which we ran to Baja a couple times...and a few friends with the OBS truck...no offense to anyone, but I didn't think they were all that great when they were new. Like the lines of the truck, and that is about it. Kinda baffled why prices are getting nutty. Kinda like the roached out Toyota truck market...just weird. People are funny and what they deem to have value.

Believe most of it is internet hype is what is driving up cost.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Not a Ford, but FWIW I sold my 95 diesel Silverado in December for 30% more than I paid for it 4 years ago, granted it only had 170k miles and the rare manual trans with 100% rust free body. But one factor I believe is driving up older diesel prices in general is how easy it is to convert them to bio/veggie fuels compared to newer ULSD trucks, also feel that those of us who grew up with the 90's diesels in the family are feeling a bit nostalgic about our heritage and seeking out clean examples to buy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94