Ford Raptor for Overlanding

SSG

Ok so decided to trade in my 2018 Toyota 4runner TRD PRO for a 2019 Ford Raptor. I am still researching the options and packages so I wanted to ask for some opinions/thoughts on what options/packages I should get for my overlanding adventures.

I was considering on waiting for the Ford F250 Superduty diesel TREMOR trim which comes out soon but I feel that vehicle maybe too big for the city but then again so is the Raptor haha

Do dealers take anything off MSRP on Raptors? I am located in Seattle, WA

Thanks.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I'm guessing a Raptor is just as wide if not wider than a Super Duty.

I think any Raptor would more than suffice. As far as I know the option packages are creature comfort options not mechanical.

I would imagine for a vast majority of people a stock half ton 4X4 with upgraded tires would work for the majority of the time. Depends on the type of travel you intend to do.

SSG

Yeah I love the creature comforts. Yeah I think the Raptor is wider but not longer than the F250.

ttengineer

Adventurer
I’m pretty sure a raptor is wider than an F250 since all Fords share the same bodies and a raptor has a wide body kit on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 9101

The Raptor is as wide as a F250, but it is shorter. It also turns better, handels better, accelerates faster, and definitely rides better than any of the Superduty varients. It also has a lower weight and comes pretty well equipped to handle off road adventures.

SSG

@Davidl13 those are some very good points. I had a 2018 RAM 2500, some pics on here of that rig as well. I liked it but yeah the new ones are much nicer. I hear the new Rebel with the eco-diesel will have good payload and towing but I like that the new 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor will have the same terrain management system as the Raptor, similar to Land Rover, for sand, dirt, mud, etc. I don't think the current FX4 package has this terrain mgmt system.

And what also had me hesitant about the Raptor is that I love diesel trucks. Payload slipped my mind as I assumed it would have good payload but that won't cut it for me as I am a gearhead haha, and plan on having a roof top tent on a bed rack plus a cab rack with some ligther gear and the bed with more gear so payload is very important to me, plus my family inside the truck as well.

So more than likely it will be an F250 or F350 Diesel with Tremor package. RAM does not offer a Power Wagon type package on their new diesel models...too bad about that.

Cheers for the great info!

SSG

@Jnich77 those are also very good points but I will need that payload and also looking to buy a boat in the future and will need the ability to tow some heavy loads.

D

Deleted member 9101

@Jnich77 those are also very good points but I will need that payload and also looking to buy a boat in the future and will need the ability to tow some heavy loads.

The Raptor tows just fine and unless you plan on packing unnecessarily heavy, it has plenty of pay load.

SSG

So the Raptor can handle payloads for ovrlanding, such as camping gear, fishing gear, fridge, roof top tent, cab and bed racks, recovery gear, 2 adults and 2 big dogs plus future modifications?

SSG

True I do change vehicles very often but I want to choose this one for long term so really want to do my research on it.

Sims4adventure

I was on the same path looking at all the trucks and I kept going back to the raptor.
After taking with my buddys who hold 3 wins in the Baja 1k. And have travelled all over Mex with a home built prerunner. I decided against it. He gave me a list off the top of his head of what not to get one.

1. They don't like to haul the payload. You have to get springs and hydro bumps for the rear. In order to do it safely.
  2. The front end is not the best. The lower arms will brake eventually. There aluminum .
3 . For less money and a bit of time you can build a truck that works better and out prefomes the raptor all day long.

4 Ask yourself a question.

Do I really need a factory built off-road toy that's way over priced for what it is.

Can I build a better truck for les

Don't get me wrong there cool and you would think it's ready to go out the box. But that's a far cry from the truth. To make them reliable for off-road or any real use you have to dump another 20k into a 60k truck. Why not spend 20 on a used truck and another 8-10 on it and be way more comfortable and have reliable transportation.

Not trying to talk you out of the raptor. I'm just giving you information that was passed on to me.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

SSG

Thanks for the info, although I do like the Raptor I like the Superduty diesels better for what I am looking to use it for, mostly overlanding, roadtrips, camping and adventuring. Although the 2020 Superduty Tremor package looks great, I don't even think I need all that because I can surely get a great deal on a 2019 F250/F350 FX4 given the 2020s are around about to be released.

D

Deleted member 9101

I was on the same path looking at all the trucks and I kept going back to the raptor.
After taking with my buddys who hold 3 wins in the Baja 1k. And have travelled all over Mex with a home built prerunner. I decided against it. He gave me a list off the top of his head of what not to get one.

1. They don't like to haul the payload. You have to get springs and hydro bumps for the rear. In order to do it safely.
  2. The front end is not the best. The lower arms will brake eventually. There aluminum .
3 . For less money and a bit of time you can build a truck that works better and out prefomes the raptor all day long.

4 Ask yourself a question.

Do I really need a factory built off-road toy that's way over priced for what it is.

Can I build a better truck for les

Don't get me wrong there cool and you would think it's ready to go out the box. But that's a far cry from the truth. To make them reliable for off-road or any real use you have to dump another 20k into a 60k truck. Why not spend 20 on a used truck and another 8-10 on it and be way more comfortable and have reliable transportation.

Not trying to talk you out of the raptor. I'm just giving you information that was passed on to me.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Does this mythical truck build you speak of come with the option of purchasing a 150,000 mile warranty?

Also, for some reason (myopic logic if I had to guess) people only look at the suspension and fail to realize how much it cost to match the performance that the 3.5HO has to offer, that kind of reliable power isn't cheap to replicate.

SSG

I will be test driving the F250, F350 and the Raptor tomorrow. Local dealer has a nice 2019 F350 Lariat sport package with FX4 for less than same specd F250 truck.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior