Ford Superduty Tremor "off road" 2020 F250/F350.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I hope the system has auto 4x4 high mode, it is much safer and practical than a manual only 4x4 on changing road conditions.. and no other heavy duty has this feature, including the PW
As far as I know the 2020 Silverado HD is the only heavy duty truck to offer a 4WD auto mode.

Dalko43

Explorer
Let’s call it what it is, an upgraded off road setup for the Super Duty. For 90% of the truck owners it’s a great upgrade, especially if you need a diesel. It’s just not a Power Wagon.

^Agreed. Let's also be honest about how the average F-250 owner will use his/her truck...the wheelbase on a CrewCab SB F-250 is 10 inches longer than that of a Crew Cab PW, which is already fairly long for a 4x4 vehicle. It's great to know that your HD gasoline or diesel truck has added capability, but how many owners are actually going to drive into places where that sort of capability is truly needed?

LSD up front is smart.. I hope the system has auto 4x4 high mode, it is much safer and practical than a manual only 4x4 on changing road conditions.. and no other heavy duty has this feature, including the PW

Is there a manual 4x4 mode as well? I saw a recent review of the Ranger where someone was complaining about how the vehicle would switch into/out of 4Hi without any user input...seems like a bad idea if that can't be disabled or switched to a manual mode.

Last edited:

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
On the 4x4 topic, The super duty has an option for a manual 4x4 shifter, like the PW. I sincerely hope the Tremor can come with the Electronic 4x4 delete option. I love the feel and function of manually shifting into 4x4. I cant stand the electronic shift. Left me stranded one time in the middle of the desert. It was an awesome first camping trip with my then girlfriend. That girl sure knew how to dig!

Dalko43

Explorer
On the 4x4 topic, The super duty has an option for a manual 4x4 shifter, like the PW. I sincerely hope the Tremor can come with the Electronic 4x4 delete option. I love the feel and function of manually shifting into 4x4. I cant stand the electronic shift. Left me stranded one time in the middle of the desert. It was an awesome first camping trip with my then girlfriend. That girl sure knew how to dig!

I think you misunderstood my question. I'm not asking if the Tremor comes with a manual 4x4 shifter. Rather, I'm asking if the truck will decide for itself when to switch into 4hi or low (automatic mode) or if it will allow the user to choose 4hi or 4low (manual mode).

A person reviewing the Ranger noted that the vehicle would shift into/out of 4low and 4 hi without any user input...I wasn't sure if this automatic process could be disabled or not in the Ranger and the Super Duty trucks.

I'm considering a 7.3 F350 tremor to replace my F150.. If im going for a crew cab with 6ft bed.. And I really like the Fords interior

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
XL manual floor shifter died for 2019. ESOF only.

I'm starting to come around, and enjoy mine. Locker and 4wd at the flick of a wrist is kinda nice. I also preferred the manual.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I think you misunderstood my question. I'm not asking if the Tremor comes with a manual 4x4 shifter. Rather, I'm asking if the truck will decide for itself when to switch into 4hi or low (automatic mode) or if it will allow the user to choose 4hi or 4low (manual mode).

A person reviewing the Ranger noted that the vehicle would shift into/out of 4low and 4 hi without any user input...I wasn't sure if this automatic process could be disabled or not in the Ranger and the Super Duty trucks.
I understood what you were asking and didn't have any feedback... What I posted was a new thought/conversation.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader

I'm starting to come around, and enjoy mine. Locker and 4wd at the flick of a wrist is kinda nice. I also preferred the manual.

I'm pretty sure there is an Electric shifter delete option that allows for manual....Could be mistaken. I'll take a look when I get a chance but I'm pretty sure I built an F250 on the site with it...maybe I'm mistaken and it was a 2018 I built

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper

I'm pretty sure there is an Electric shifter delete option that allows for manual....Could be mistaken. I'll take a look when I get a chance but I'm pretty sure I built an F250 on the site with it...maybe I'm mistaken and it was a 2018 I built
Still shows as an option on the Canadian 2019 trucks.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
If you consider just buying a rear-locker, a front locker, shocks, etc.. and make it "like" a Tremor, or a Raptor, or a PW for cheaper and better...I am afraid you are not factoring it the time it takes to install these parts (whether you do it yourself or by a shop), and the resale value of the vehicle.
Also to consider is if you are buying these extra parts cash from your net salary?
It won't be rolled into the financing term, which may or may not have an impact depending what how you manage your finances (cost of opportunity).
You could also argue that warranty-wise, you will end up having to deal with different manufacturers when things go wrong.
So there are lot more factors to this equation.

Last edited:

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Mostly because the trucks in this thread can do the same thing in 2wd with hardly any TC intervention. Proper setup, tires, and driver skill go a long ways. And all of those are better options to try first, than 4A. I live in the snow belt, and if there's pavement/gravel under the snow, It's childs play. 200,000 miles in past 4 years in the snow belt. MI, OH, PA, KT, IA, NY. Scaled at 11,000#. 275/45r17 Duratracs. Wanted 4A 0% of that time. Not even once. Never seen it on a SD, and never expect them to add it. It's just too fragile a system to add to a HD truck that gets abused the way these do.

And we know what Murphy is going to say about anyone ditching one of the most reliable xfer cases out there, for the convenience of 4A in another.... Not to mention the added weight would be a deal killer. The 4A clutch would need to be as large as the SD's 1st gear, not the Suburbans 4A clutch. Added weight to a derated 10,000# F250/350 ain't going to fly.

The F150 style 4A demo:

4A is a bit like the guys wanting to remove the nice elocker, for an LSD, because 1% of the time they drive, they're getting one wheel peel in the rain. On pavement! hahah. 100% driver skill and tire setup problem.

Note that in the video above, the F150 style 4A never, ever, locks into 4wd, when 4wd high is selected. The way that our SD transfer cases do in 4H. The F150 simply just clamps the 4A down completely. You can see how that could be an issue with heavier trucks with solid axles.

There's another bit to this equation: Many SD owners never improve the truck further than a leveling kit, and getting the adaptive cruise control to work with a lifted truck is a major PITA. So this stock package should appeal there as well.

Last edited:

Desert Dan

Explorer
Having a factory warranty on the whole package is a good thing. I hope the gas version has a large gas tank or dual tanks. Maybe Ford with offer a winch as an option?
My Tundra has a 38 gallon tank and it is great to have the extra range on long trips without having to carry jerry cans.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I'm pretty sure my CCSB has a 38 gallon tank. Sadly it's programmed to show empty at about 28-30 gallons of use. Did they engineer in a reserve capacity? Or is it to keep the fuel pumps cool?

I'm going with the Warn Ascent bumper and a 12000 Warn VR or Zeon winch. Looks better in person than their website.
97935-on-car.jpg

Cackalak Han

Explorer
As far as 4x4 systems go. I prefer a smart AWD system.. I drive by 4x4 stuck in the snow with my Yukon xl Denali AWD and my wife’s Jeep Grand Cherokee is simply amazing in the snow/slush/ice/dry fast change conditions.. 4x4 systems don’t come close except for very specific needs... real world, everyday, AWD is far superior... but no one would dare utter the words in HD land.. ha

That’s probably your driver skill more than anything else. Properly set up, I’ve never felt undergunned with an AWD or 4WD driving in snow. It’s just most idiots think because all 4 wheels turn, they’re invincible. That’s both truck/suv and Subaru owners.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles