Forest Sevice Hotshot Crew Truck.

jkam

nomadic man
I have been having ideas lately to take one of the Hotshot crew trucks and make it into a camper.
I've seen some nice ones that are 4x4, lot's of outside storage bins and a reasonable size.
Anyone seen one converted into a camper?
Good idea?
ukonom-hotshots-crew-12b-us-forest-service-orleans-ranger-station.jpg

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
They would make a great base for a camper. The main issue I noticed when I checked them out was the rear entry. We are either carrying a bike or spare tire when we are not towing so that is a pain. Also a pain from the amount of dirt that comes in through rear entry doors. (We are considering actually welding up our rear doors).

Also make sure you checkout the interior headroom. Somewhere in the vacuum called my brain is a thought that they were not stand up height.

But you know that they would be well made and well maintained.

cjken

Explorer
Those look awesome. Some guy in AZ usually has one listed for sale. I have now seen any 4x4 ones.

jkam

nomadic man
Great point on the rear door and it's ensuing issues.
I'm not very tall but need stand up room for sure.
It just looks like a reasonably capable platform to start with for my lifestyle needs.
I'd like to get an idea of costs.
Anybody know of a source for used ones?

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
There are a couple on craigslist in southern ID right now. Someone on here had one he had converted to a camper in the for sale section a while ago. I found a used box off one about six months ago, went and looked at it and waited one day to long to buy it. They are very well constructed boxes in case of a rollover. I'm 6'6" and was worried about head room, I couldn't stand fully erect in one but they have a surprising amount of head room, more than I thought just from looking at the outside of one.
PS the latches on the doors are top of the line spare no expense ones. They are a premium built box.

Brewdiak

kodiak conversionator
i was looking at one same time as when i was considering the rig i bought. one thing that 'might' be an issue is registration and insurance - since those are built for carrying multiple passengers there might be some problems getting one or both ... could be as simple as removing the seats, or as complicated as >insert absurd government or insurance regulation here<

i lucked out and was able to immediately register my ambo as an RV even before conversions (hell, still had the siren/lights and all the doodads at that time!). I've read others who had a real time getting theirs registered and insured (on that note...still on a progressive commercial policy - hope once i'm done to move to an RV policy)

softboyled

Those look awesome. Some guy in AZ usually has one listed for sale. I have now seen any 4x4 ones.

The AZ guy had one for sale just recently (ebay). It didn't sell there, so he may still have it...

Also, I've never seen a 4x4 version of this (the spec for these calls for LSD, but not 4x4). If someone here has seen 4x4, I'd love a link. :)

Here's one listed in southern Oregon: https://medford.craigslist.org/cto/d/02-international-4300-dt-466/6617221172.html , but apparently in Idaho.

```
'02 INTERNATIONAL 4300 DT 466 CREW CARRIER - $31500 (Central Point)
2002 international 4300 dt466
condition: excellent
drive: rwd
fuel: diesel
odometer: 112000
paint color: white
title status: clean
transmission: manual
112,000 MILES, DT466 7.6L 230hp TURBO DIESEL ENGINE, SEATS 8, SUPER CLEAN! If interested call/text Levi at show contact info
```

jkam

nomadic man
I think the 4x4 version I saw was a fire truck not a crew carrier.
It was a crew cab International with a Pierce Badge on the front.

Thanks for the link and all other info everyone.

NeverEnough

Adventurer
Definitely a bunch of International 43,44 and 7400 4x4 fire crew trucks around the west, as well as fire trucks on the same chassis. While my chassis was born under the CXT banner, the specs are almost identical to those used in the FS RFPs. Love mine.

New to all of this expedition stuff but how hard/expensive would it be to convert the box to a pop up for head room? For those of you gifted with height

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

mallthus

Pretty good at some stuff
New to all of this expedition stuff but how hard/expensive would it be to convert the box to a pop up for head room? For those of you gifted with height

The biggest challenge is that these boxes, like ambulance boxes, are designed to be very structurally rigid so that crew inside could (potentially) survive even a rollover.

Slicing open the top would not only compromise that rigidity, it might make the whole thing fall to pieces, as I’d imagine they’re designed to be tensioned in order to achieve that level of rigidity.

TL;dr I wouldn’t suggest it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

softboyled

Definitely a bunch of International 43,44 and 7400 4x4 fire crew trucks around the west, as well as fire trucks on the same chassis. While my chassis was born under the CXT banner, the specs are almost identical to those used in the FS RFPs. Love mine.

I haven't had much success with google. Can you point me to some (an) example?

Thanks!

The biggest challenge is that these boxes, like ambulance boxes, are designed to be very structurally rigid so that crew inside could (potentially) survive even a rollover.

Slicing open the top would not only compromise that rigidity, it might make the whole thing fall to pieces, as I’d imagine they’re designed to be tensioned in order to achieve that level of rigidity.

TL;dr I wouldn’t suggest it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Good point... thanks for your reply!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke