Forester: ExPo Subaru Project

Hodaka

Adventurer
I did one of the fronts on my 97 Outback a few weeks ago. It took me a LONG time. Ball joint stuck both in the spindle and the LCA, and I ended up using a bit of heat along with a big 3 jaw puller to get the axle to come out of the hub. Then I had to scrape the splines in the hub thoroughly before the new axle would slide in.
Rewarded myself the next day with a trip up into Kokanee Park (dirt road) and a short hike followed by fly fishing in the creek. Of course, I managed to slip on a rock and tear my rotator cuff (left). So now the rest of the projects on the car are on hold for a bit...

Rosco862003

Adventurer

Is it supposed to sound like that? :jump:

I may have overlooked the part where you went into depth about loose or sloppy steering before posting the video showing your axles. However, both of my axles are split at the point where it meets the transmission, and also have noticed very vague on center steering after the lift in addition to a wheel that jerks a little too much to every little undulation in the road. I have King springs for the front which I hope will bring the front down about an inch, along with new axles which I hope will be in an ideal operating range after the King springs.

My question is, do you think the axles were a contributing factor to the loose steering? You go on to say in a later post to say that you wish you had changed the axles before you focused on steering components, however there wasn't much elaboration afterwards and I'm really hoping to fix the steering issue while I have the struts and axles out. Thanks in advance for the reply.

Chazz Layne

Administrator
My question is, do you think the axles were a contributing factor to the loose steering?

Nope, not at all. There was a noticeable wobble that was transmitted from the axle, through the hub, and back up through the do-hickeys to the steering wheel, but it didn't pull to either direction and wasn't the cause of the dead-spot around center. Aside from the wobble, there were no symptoms related to the axle or suspension.

We haven't addressed the steering issues yet as it's still barely noticeable. I haven't decided if I want to rebuild what's there, or replace it with a tighter STI setup. It might be a little easier to do it all at once, but only because the front wheels are already off and the steering-to-knuckle joint already loose. It wouldn't be a big enough difference to delay doing either job, IMHO.

Rosco862003

Adventurer
Nope, not at all. There was a noticeable wobble that was transmitted from the axle, through the hub, and back up through the do-hickeys to the steering wheel, but it didn't pull to either direction and wasn't the cause of the dead-spot around center. Aside from the wobble, there were no symptoms related to the axle or suspension.

We haven't addressed the steering issues yet as it's still barely noticeable. I haven't decided if I want to rebuild what's there, or replace it with a tighter STI setup. It might be a little easier to do it all at once, but only because the front wheels are already off and the steering-to-knuckle joint already loose. It wouldn't be a big enough difference to delay doing either job, IMHO.

Thanks for the reply, HOpefully I can get it figured out next week.

Hondaslayer

Adventurer
Chazz,

You can get STI or WRX (both would be an improvement) used for dirt cheap from wreckers, might as well just swap it out.

I forget what year your Forester is. IIRC up to and including 04 is going to be the two bushing setup, 06 + is cannon mount and I forget 05 models. Speaking of bushings, are you sure yours are not shot? Might want to try some Whiteline / Prodrive etc..... bushings before you swap the rack. Takes about 1/2 hour to replace and they are cheap.

reachdean

Observer
FWIW,

STI steering racks are "faster" but don't turn as tightly as stock steering racks (ie, your angle of lock to left and right isn't as good with an STI steering rack).

For greater maneuverability, you're best sticking with stock, or going to something like a Q-Rack, a quick rack made to provide full range of steering.

Hondaslayer

Adventurer
Correct,

The rack you have currently is a variable ratio rack. Swapping to an STI rack will speed up the steering at the expense of a larger turning radius. I still think trying upgraded bushings would be the first thing to do. Night and day difference over even good stock bushings.

Chazz Layne

Administrator
Thanks for the tip on the bushings, I'll start there. The "budget build" is just about over, and a complete replacement of all bushings, swaybars (to HD), and links is planned after the wrap-up. Oh, and the stereo... because aside from sounding like an iPhone 3GS that was dropped in a lake, it has no aux port! CDs, dark ages... same thing. :D

Hondaslayer

Adventurer
Cheap swaybar upgrade would be to get one from an 02-05 WRX sedan (20mm) or wagon (18mm) I went with the wagon bar on our SF. Helped the onroad manners immensely without being too much for offroad use. 20mm or larger you might want to look into quick disconnects (there's a write up on Subaruforester . org)

Chazz Layne

Administrator
Such a fun desert car, it's such a lightweight even loaded with gear it just doesn't sink. :smiley_drive:

IMG_6717.jpg

It does not make a good tent though, unless you are less than 5 feet tall. I am never sleeping inside it again.

reachdean

Observer
Yeah, bushings make a big difference.

As for the stereo, I wired in an Aux Port using an inline Antenna cable FM modulator kit from a company called iSimple I think... It's switched so you can use your radio when it's off, but has a stereo-in jack as well as a USB (for charging only).

I'm looking forward to see what's next on this project. I just got Geolander AT/S tires mounted on mine, and I am looking into getting a new skidplate. The aluminum one I had on my Impreza doesn't have all the right bends, so for now I have hockey pucks as spacers to make it work...

Superu_legacy

Subaru-Coffee-Chocolate
RSB from a gen 1 outback (UBER plentiful) should be a straight swap and is 18mm.

I swapped on into my legacy then swapped it's factory 15MM bar into my wife's 02 outback sport ( the impreza outback), which shares the forester platform. As such I'd be confident a gen 1 OB RSB will swap into your SG forester and giver you a nice upgrade.

aock.jpg

I also have a quick disconnect write up on the RSB bolts -> http://www.dirtyimpreza.com/forums/showthread.php?24416-Suparu-s-lifted-legacy-AWESOMENESS&p=375494&viewfull=1#post375494

Superu_legacy

Subaru-Coffee-Chocolate
i think STi and possibly WRX steering racks have different spline counts to the steering linkage.
details to consider before thust ripping one at a yard and buying it to discover other problems when under the fozzy.

My factory rack got a dead spot around center and it turned out to have slop in the rack splines. i swapped in a GT rack and all is good, other than now failing bushings. Cheap enough and maybe I'll upgrade to group "N" some day, but easy enough to replace. While maybe not relevant but Outback steering rates are slower than Legacy and GT. Maybe something to research and see if there's a difference between forester and OBS/IMP/WRX.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles