Found a unique looking Defender

Guambomb

Adventurer
I've always liked Defender's but honestly don't know that much about them. My buddy and I found a unique looking 90 out in the middle of nowhere sitting in some guys yard (along with another 90, two series III's and one 109). I did some searching but couldn't find anything like it on the interweb. It has badging on the side that says "G4 Challenge" and "Special Edition". We knocked on the door but there was no response. We plan to go back out at some point and see if he's willing to part with it.

Anyway, I was just wondering if any one here might know details about this particular model. Like perhaps it was a limited release or possibly grey market import? It's left hand drive:

Attachments

• IMG_1231.jpg
    IMG_1231.jpg
    587.5 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_1233.jpg
    IMG_1233.jpg
    510 KB · Views: 235

LtFuzz

Explorer
Looks like a run of the mill mid-1980s Ninety to me, with an aftermarket/painted grille. It's definitely not a G4 truck or a SV -- those are just stickers. And it looks spray painted. Left hand drive is certainly unusual for these kinds of Defenders and definitely a plus.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
The badging is just readily available decals. This is just a nicely build early 90.
Had a friend that recently sold a self built "Series 90" to a guy in Oklahoma that is a prepper. Be careful ... don't get yourself shot! :)

D

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
This is a mid/late 80s 90 that has been imported... possibly grey market but not likely.

(the silver grille + headlight surrounds scream English to me)

The G4 decals are just that... decals. The most unusual thing is that this LHD 90 is just sitting in a field! Very interesting that its not being used as it represents a significant investment, probably close to or more than 25k.

Guambomb

Adventurer
Thanks for the info. It really is kind of weird that this guy has all of these cool vehicles sitting in his yard in front of a rotting old single wide trailer with 3 to 4 foot tall grass everywhere. I spied 2 Range Rover's (one with a huge rack, slight lift etc), a newer mini cooper, one FJ40, an Orange Series III, an olive drab Series III, a tan 109 2 door with long canvas top, an old school lifted suburban, a newer looking yellow D90 and the black 90. I'll be sure to post pics of all the vehicles when we go back if the owner is there and doesn't mind. Here's one more pic I snapped as we pulled up along side the house. You can kind of make out the 109 and the Orange Series III (I'm guessing on the series III, 109 etc after googling images) :)

Attachments

• IMG_1234.jpg
    IMG_1234.jpg
    614.4 KB · Views: 125

DividingCreek

Explorer
This is a mid/late 80s 90 that has been imported... possibly grey market but not likely.

The definition of "grey market" is any vehicle not imported by the manufacturer's marketing channels. IE any 90/110 not imported by JLRNA is grey market. Grey market has nothing to do with legality.

The truck appears to be a late turbo diesel 19j truck. Given the push button doors, side breather vent on left fender and ribbed roof it looks like a 1988 or early 89 before the smooth roofs started.

Last edited:

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the correction Doug, I was thinking grey market as imported when new, before the change in regulations in the late 80s.

Dolomiti

Adventurer
Thanks for the correction Doug, I was thinking grey market as imported when new, before the change in regulations in the late 80s.

This is correct. Grey market, in common parlance, is a car imported before the 25 year rule came into play.

DividingCreek

Explorer
This is correct. Grey market, in common parlance, is a car imported before the 25 year rule came into play.

By any entity other than the manufacturers marketing mechanism, if you look it up, that is the definition of the term.

I have a 1984 BMW/Baur/Alpina e30 323i cabriolet. This car's import predates the 1989 law change but is grey market not because it is euro spec, but because it was imported by an entity other than BMW NA. I had a multitude of grey market BMW's in the 80's. @ one point we had his and hers 745's and a euro 635 track car.

Last edited:

newhue

Adventurer
Seems like a typical landy nut to me, likes to have a few around. All of them going to be restored one day.........

Dolomiti

Adventurer
By any entity other than the manufacturers marketing mechanism, if you look it up, that is the definition of the term.

I have a 1984 BMW/Baur/Alpina e30 323i cabriolet. This car's import predates the 1989 law change but is grey market not because it is euro spec, but because it was imported by an entity other than BMW NA. I had a multitude of grey market BMW's in the 80's. @ one point we had his and hers 745's and a euro 635 track car.

You may see from my signature that I own 3 grey market cars as well. An E23 745i imported in 1985 is grey market. An E30 Touring imported in 2014 is not grey market.

I think we're both saying the same thing. Essentially, no one, including myself, would ever call my 110 a grey market, while the BMWs are.

DividingCreek

Explorer
No all 110's in the US that aren't 1993 NAS 110's are grey market imports, call yours whatever you like. US Customs, EPA,DOT,JLRNA, and the media, as well as most that own them other than yourself acknowledge their trucks are grey market imports, because they are.
Please read the following. The term grey market has nothing to do with pre 1989, nor is the term unique to the United States in any way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_import_vehicle

Last edited:

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy

Gray market is the legal importation of a vehicle that was not originally intended for that market. The 25 rear rule is one of the few current ways to do this.

Guambomb

Adventurer
Resurrection of this old thread.

After letting a few years go by, my buddy and I tracked down the owner, got permission and went back out to the spot to check on the Rovers.

Things have really grown up around them now. I didn't have the keys to pop the hood on the NAS 90 but intend to go back out there again soon to see it.

I plan on making an offer on the yellow 90 and possibly the 2 door series 3 (with the chevy motor in it). I think the Yellow 90 has 172K miles on it and has been sitting for 3 years. The frame looked pretty good to me with minor (I think) surface rust in spots but most of the rubber looks pretty dry.
Love to hear any feedback on what people think the ballpark value on the 90 might be.

image7.jpegimage1-2.jpegimage3.jpegimage4.jpegimage5.jpegimage6.jpegimage8.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94