found an m100!

oldboyscout

Observer
so I found an M100 a couple months ago and bought it cheap. Every time I look at it to plan the work I have second thoughts. I'm worried about the weight behind my 4cyl TJ, and the tongue needs to be lengthened. I keep thinking I should just build a lightweight 42"x60" trailer instead.
photo.JPGphoto copy.JPG

youwillforget

Adventurer
Get a Harbor Freight, Guys here are doing amazing builds with them. Then sell off the M100 and spend the revenue on the build.

CAPTNDAVIE

Observer
There are plenty of guys with restored army jeeps who would love to have that trailer. You could sell it and have a good bit of money to build what you want. Check out g503.com and look at the message boards. There is a 1/4 ton trailer section. Check it out and if you want to sell it register there and list it on the forums.

Robert Bills

Explorer
so I found an M100 a couple months ago and bought it cheap. Every time I look at it to plan the work I have second thoughts. I'm worried about the weight behind my 4cyl TJ. . . .

It may be a bit of work to bring your M100 back to life, but keep in mind that although these trailers weigh about 520 lbs empty in stock configuration, they were designed to be towed behind 4cyl Jeeps, Mutts and Mighty Mites. Factor in the weight of your payload and accessories, and if the total exceeds your TJ's tow rating then you might want to consider a lighter weight trailer, but bear in mind that an M100 will take a lot of abuse especially compared to a light duty HF trailer.

oldboyscout

Observer
I'm always amazed at what the little 40some HP Jeeps could do, but now I have to maintain highway speed pulling the trailer. I don't think payload would exceed 500 lbs (even with the 4 boats on top), but I can sure feel that weight now on my little angle iron trailer when I'm climbing hills.

I also really hate the idea of cutting and lengthening the lunette, which is necessary for me to carry the boats

Robert Bills

Explorer
Rather than cutting and lenthening the lunette, you could try something like this, which is a "shoe" I fabricated to incorporate a receiver tube without cutting or welding on the original drawbars or lunette casting:

650x488xHPIM0135.JPG.pagespeed.ic.K_4atimnTK.jpg

650x488xHPIM0133.JPG.pagespeed.ic.m5j0zbjhMv.jpg

oldboyscout

Observer
Robert, that's very nicely done. I'll definitely consider it.

What problem would I create if I extended the pintle about a foot when I needed to carry the boats? (on the road only)

Robert Bills

Explorer
Although it is difficult to judge the scale in the photographs, my coupler is extended about 14" from the original location. It tracks perfectly and I have experienced no problems, whether on the trail or at highway speeds.

As for the market value of a "rusty" M100, I would have to defer to the experts who frequent the 1/4 ton trailer forum at G503.com.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz