Four Wheel Camper - A Review

NothingClever

Explorer
I'm looking forward to seeing my first FWC in person.

It's a fun experience. My wife and I were sold instantly when we saw Tom and team at the Denver Outdoor Show in 2010. We thought it would be another two years or so before we bought one and then a used, pristine Fleet model magically appeared as if on cue about a month later. We couldn't pass up the opportunity since it was spec'd exactly as we wanted. So, moral of the story - be prepared to buy one after you see one!

bimmeryota

Observer
Let the planning begin! I just saw them at the off road expo today for the first time and now I'm totally sold. Even brought the future wife with me and she approved. At first she thought it was pricey but then we looked at the toy hauler rv's that were on the display and now knows how good a deal it is in comparison.
Mitch was super helpful and answered all my questions.
Now I gotta save up the cash and get my my little lifted hilux ready for it!

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
Great write up! Picked up our FWC Grandby from the factory in Woodland three days before Christmas. Headed to the desert day after Christmas to break it in. We love it and are heading to the snow next week. Can't wait to get out in it again.

Sgt.Kilroy

Kilroy Was Here...
Hey Tom...

...I'm one of those folks who kcowyo sold a camper to, just for the record! I joined in 2011 and read his entire thread, then saved for my order. It surely helped to solidify the plans I had to combine off road exploring with a compact lightweight camper like FWC.

Have to give credit where credit is due. Cheers kcowyo!

WOW - I just found this thread 3 days ago - I have read all 33 pages and finished today. I am hooked on the FWC for such travels as you've reported. All I can say to you, KC - what an awesome story, what terrific info and such fantastic photos of the great outdoor west! :Wow1:Glad you have decided enough was done, 5 years dedication to a thread is time enough invested. Hope you are enoying time spent with family and friends now. See you 'out there' someday maybe! :ylsmoke:

broncotime

great thread, i started at the end working backwards, and then when i read the below, i started from the beginning. i was hoping to get a gleaning of how the camper treaded you with little ones (i have the same two youngest ages). once i got back to page 30, i only saw a couple of posts where it looks like maybe your wife came with you. any chance you can give a short angle from the family time you spent and how it worked out? how much time over the years did you you caravan together? just curious as all of my trips are typically full caravan (i'd be strung up if i went solo)

again, thanks for the great read. maybe if you have separate threads on the family trips, you could link them up?

So where am I going with all of this..? Well, my children were 5 & 2 years old when I started this thread. Today they are 10 & 7 years old... Hell, I've even crossed into my 40's in the duration... my, how time flies. And so as they get older and I get older my attentions and desires have changed. I will continue to use and enjoy my camper and I will continue to go on fun trips to great places, writing & photographing what I see. But over the last several months it has become an effort to answer questions and maintain this thread with as much enthusiasm as when I began. Clearly my children need more of my time and deserve more of my time and energy than a camper company that is doing just fine without me. There are plenty of owners online now who can answer and detail the specifics & nuances of these little units, unlike when I first started this thread. So my intention is to fade into the background and pursue this & other interests without feeling the self-inflicted pressure of having to update this thread and continuing to answer questions about the product.

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
great thread, i started at the end working backwards, and then when i read the below, i started from the beginning. i was hoping to get a gleaning of how the camper treaded you with little ones (i have the same two youngest ages). once i got back to page 30, i only saw a couple of posts where it looks like maybe your wife came with you. any chance you can give a short angle from the family time you spent and how it worked out? how much time over the years did you you caravan together? just curious as all of my trips are typically full caravan (i'd be strung up if i went solo)

again, thanks for the great read. maybe if you have separate threads on the family trips, you could link them up?
We've had ours 2 years and it's my wife and I and our now 6 year old. We went from camping 2 to 4 times a year to averaging a trip a month from quick overnights to 2 weeks on road only constrained by work. We do a lot of weekends and extend them to 3 and 4 days whenever we can. Wouldn't think of leaving my wife and son behind. My wife loves our Grandby. It's only come out of the back of the truck once and she told me to load it back in as soon as the hauling was finished because she didn't like feeling she couldn't leave at a moments notice. For us, it's our family adventure home, everything from the coast to the mountains to the deserts. We camp in campgrounds and National and State parks but prefer to boondock whenever we can. It's been great for our family.

jaydon44

Observer
Wow that was a long but sad to see end read!
thanks KC for selling FWC's......youve prob just sold one more :bike_rider:
i don't think i'll ever be able to do all the trips that you have done with mine but when i want to take off rock climbing or biking or hunting for the weekend i will never have anything standing in my way now!! and ill get down to utah and cali! i'm CANADIAN and the FWC cult hasn't caught on to hard up here yet

Thanks again! see you on the trails!

Yukondoit

Took me a while but I finally made it through the whole thread. Chock full of useful information. A superb resource for helping folks (me included) decide on which camper to go with.

Thanks to KC I'm close to biting the bullet. Also thanks to all that contributed to this thread as I was (slightly less so now) a complete newb on pop up campers.

Ramblinman

Observer
I read this thread beginning to end and had a FWC sitting on back of my truck 6 months later. It is absolutely everything I hoped it would be. I like to sit in it and drink beer when I am not using it to plot and plan my next adventure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles