Fox vs King: 2.0 Remote Reservoir Coilovers - Durability & Performance Comparison

*TRD*

Observer
I am frequently asked what the difference between Fox and King 2.0 Coilovers are so I wrote an in-depth tech article to help break it down. The article uses shock dyno test data, and engineering analysis of the components to determine which shocks offer the best durability, performance and ultimately value.

Fox vs King 2.0 Coilover Article

I have been tuning and engineering shocks since 2001. Before starting AccuTune Off-Road I was the chief engineer at an aftermarket shock manufacturing company and invented frequency sensitive shock technology.

The article focuses on the highlights and I'd be happy to answer any other questions you may have.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Awesome. Exactly what I expected to read comparing the two. Fox has been in the game A LONG TIME. Every fox shock I have ever used on anything was top notch.

That wasn't the result I was expecting. Loved the Kings on my F350, but haven't tried the Fox yet. Maybe the new truck will get a set of Fox coilovers

kojackJKU

Hey, KING are SICK shocks. Just fox is the yard stick in which every one shoots for. Always have been since they have been around!

kojackJKU

There are none. Bilstiens are not worth putting on anything. Every Bilstien I have owned was JUNK. Had yellows come on 2 vehicles and they were trash. I have seen many 5100 series shocks fail, blown seals, cracked pistons from locking up in mid cycle, etc.

*TRD*

Observer
Thank you for the feedback.

We do a lot of rebuilds and re-valves.

Bilstein has the 9100 series coilover that is more equivalent to fox and king than the 5100 series. I'll look for some marketing material and update this thread.

chasespeed

Explorer
There are none. Bilstiens are not worth putting on anything. Every Bilstien I have owned was JUNK. Had yellows come on 2 vehicles and they were trash. I have seen many 5100 series shocks fail, blown seals, cracked pistons from locking up in mid cycle, etc.

Th Bilstein 5100s are some of the best OFF THE SHELF shock you can get. I've had many, on many different trucks and SUVs, and not had a failure like you describe. The set I'm currently working over... I'll let you know when they fail.

However, comparing the 5100 to a purpose built smooth body, or coil-over, is like comparing apples and oranges.

Twin tube shocks suck. Mono-tube are better. Thought, not top shelf. And purpose built shocks(even the 9100 Bilsteins) are the best bet for long term performance, and longevity. Fully rebuildable, and tunable. However, the vast majority of drivers are not going to spring for this level of performance. They're happy with what they have. And many people won't spring for anything more than Rancho, etc.

I know Fox started making mono-tubes for JKs, and other popular models, and that is great.

Personally, I'd like to go full coil-over on my current toy when the time comes. But, it probably won't happen. It would take a LOT of work To realize the full benefits of them.

Most people on here in particular, use their rides for exploration, or camping. A lot of trucks, and little to no lift. So, high end shocks, are either not going to fit, or what out of their price range.

Chase

kojackJKU

There are many better OTS shocks than bilstiens. Fox 2.0s without resivoirs, OMEs, hell even my Monroe monotubes are a way better option than bilstiens.

Here's a little ditty for you.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1255228-a-washboarded-road-to-chaco-canyon-np-vs-bilstein-5100s-premature-bilstein-shock-failure.html

Not to mention these failures!

A Toyota/bilstien trd failure

IMG_6789.jpg

chasespeed

Explorer
I have a set of OMEs that failed, eye ripped off, and other the tube split on the bottom. I still recommend them.

Either way, I've run several sets, and not had problems, as have many others.

I'm not saying the Bilsteins are the be all. Not even the best. I have looked at the 2.0s for my WJ. Haven't priced them though.

Regardless, you have a bad opinion of the Bilsteins. I get it. I don't. No need for a pissing contest.

It's still comparing apples to oranges. Not like anyone is tossing FOAs name around. Are they even still around?

Chase

XJLI

Adventurer
I was pretty disappointed with my 9100s. The nickel plating is absolute garbage and it only took a single NY winter to turn the finish on my $1300 worth of shocks to rust. Bilstein basically told me to pound sand and that I need to wax and polish them to maintain the finish.

I won't even buy a set of 5100s for my new truck. Going to go straight to Fox 2.0 bolt ins.

kojackJKU

Yep. good choice XJLI. If I was tossing big bucks for shocks on my JK it would be to ELKA. Ran them on lots of Motorsports rigs with great results. Chasespeed the basic Fox 2.0s are cheaper than the 5100s. And MILES better that the garbage that is bilstiens.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I have had several sets of factory and replacement Bilsteins on several different trucks over the years. They are just fine for what they are, but not nearly as good as the Fox reservoir shocks that went onto the Dodge last summer, replacing the OEM Bilsteins. The Foxes are definitely better, but they also cost about five times as much. A lot of the "goodness" of a shock depends on your budget and how you use the vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles