Frame Ground Points

NavyGator

Hi everyone,

Is there a preferred method for adding grounds to the vehicle frame? i.e drilling and taping, welding on studs/bolts, etc?

Alloy

I look for an existing bolt holding accessories. Next is drilling for a nut and bolt, then tapping and last resort is welding. One modern vehicles welding can cook any number of modules.

NavyGator

This is for a Chevy Tahoe GMT820 frame which is fully boxed. A bolt and nut would require drilling through both sides of the frame. Maybe I can find a location that has a large hole on one side of the frame rail so I can drill the other side.

llamalander

Tapping does not require access to both sides, requires fairly inexpensive tools & is not all that difficult.
The goal when tapping is to get two full threads through the material to have sufficient surface area of mating metals.
10/32 screws are used in standard metal electrical boxes and larger, fine-thread taps will probably work too.

itllgrowback

I've been using rivet-nuts more and more since I found them; they're a great way to add steel threads to sheetmetal. You can get them sized specifically for thicker material too. You'd probably want to sand the paint off the area you attach it to if possible, but the ones I've tested have made great contact regardless.

But your frame is probably thick enough to tap good threads into it as mentioned above, and that would be far simpler.

broncobowsher

Adventurer
I go with the simple solution of not adding electrical loads to the frame. Most body on frame vehicles the frame only has a token ground for RFI. All the major electrical loads are either to the engine or the body, both of which sit on rubber mounts to the frame.

For my trailers where the frame is the ground. I start with making sure I have a good ground off the trailer hitch wiring and don't trust the hitch ball as a ground path. Then I weld a stainless bolt to the frame. Drill a hole in the frame. Do NOT put the bolt through the hole, hold the head up to the hole and plug weld the hole shut. Now you have a shouldered stainless stud to mount a ground to. The boat trailer LED tail lights work perfect with this setup.

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
Inspect all wires for corrosion. Now's the time to upgrade your wiring to a larger size especially if you want to push more amps through an upgraded alternator (for say winches or to charge house batteries etc). Find a spot within reach of your ground wire. Sand frame area clean. I've never been lucky enough to have existing holes near where I need them. Ever. Buy drill and tap for the size of bolt you'll use. Drill hole. Carefully tap the hole slowly and carefully so as not to break the tap, backing it out and back in frequently to shed chips. That's a whole other drama (ask me how I know). Coat the bolt in dielectric grease. Get a star washer meant for ground connections (this contacts the frame), followed by lock washer then bolt head. Coat them all good and crew them in. I like to put it outside the frame in a location that is easily inspectable and serviceable. I service my grounds once a year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior