Frame tube size for teardrop question.

KTM-Todd

I'm planning a teardrop build, well I did get started but some surgery has put it on hold for a few months. It will be a 5X9 modified Grumman (the CFO wanted the more traditional tear style). Timbren HD 4" lift, Wheels and tires to match Jeep, if I can find a good deal by the time I need them.

So my question is for the frame 2X3X.0120 or 2X2X.0120. Seems like a lot of builds here go with 2X3 but on the teardrop forum a lot of people say 2X2. I'm planning nerf bars out to the fenders to the back bumper and to the front. Also will have a receiver hitch on the front for the ball hitch (probably a Bulldog) I don't think I nee a Max-N-Roll type hitch but can add one if needed. Also can remove hitch when base camping.

I would like to think the trailer will see tougher offroad trails that it will. We'll pull with a JKUR that is stock other that almost 33" tires. We like to do blue trails. Pulling the trailer will be green or known blue trails. But I want to be able for the trailer to handle more just in case we wander up and unknown trail or a washout or something like that. The Jeep is the CFO's daily driver and the only vehicle we own (I have company van). So that keeps us on the easier stuff too.

Thanks
Todd

stomperxj

Explorer
I'm planning a teardrop build, well I did get started but some surgery has put it on hold for a few months. It will be a 5X9 modified Grumman (the CFO wanted the more traditional tear style). Timbren HD 4" lift, Wheels and tires to match Jeep, if I can find a good deal by the time I need them.

So my question is for the frame 2X3X.0120 or 2X2X.0120. Seems like a lot of builds here go with 2X3 but on the teardrop forum a lot of people say 2X2. I'm planning nerf bars out to the fenders to the back bumper and to the front. Also will have a receiver hitch on the front for the ball hitch (probably a Bulldog) I don't think I nee a Max-N-Roll type hitch but can add one if needed. Also can remove hitch when base camping.

I would like to think the trailer will see tougher offroad trails that it will. We'll pull with a JKUR that is stock other that almost 33" tires. We like to do blue trails. Pulling the trailer will be green or known blue trails. But I want to be able for the trailer to handle more just in case we wander up and unknown trail or a washout or something like that. The Jeep is the CFO's daily driver and the only vehicle we own (I have company van). So that keeps us on the easier stuff too.

Thanks
Todd

As long as your body isn't overbuilt and super heavy 2x2x.120 is fine. Just make sure to run the tongue under the main frame. The tongue on my first teardrop was 2x2x.120. For a stronger tongue you could run receiver tube back to the first crossmember and gain the ability to switch out couplers. I ran a short tongue tube and put a 12" piece of receiver on it so I could switch out couplers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior