Fridges

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
I’ve been looking high and low and $500 CDN (+/- $385 USD) appears to be a heck of a deal for a Dometic 50 liter fridge. It uses a SECOP compressor... and the interior looks almost identical to a Truck Fridge... with all the same well thought out features.

Given it seems to be a decent size and will fit well in the cabinets with a microwave... I hope to pick one up this coming week.

Now I just have to decide if I install it midway down the cabinets or at the back. I’m leaning towards in the middle of the box... more central, and less likely for all the contents to be pulverized if I go over a bump too quick.

If there is any suggestion that I can give on the install it is to add more venting then you will need. Also a computer fan to move air in the back is a good idea if you will be in hot climates. I added a vent above the fridge, a grate below and a couple vent holes in the cabinet on the side. A lot more than they say in the install instructions. I found that in the heat it cooled great while driving but when the inside warmed up a little the fridge seemed to run longer than I thought it should. After the extra vents it runs a lot less.

Jdubucsd

Addicted to Espresso
I was reading for my Dometic CRX50 to also add up to 2" of rigid insulation on the sides, top and bottom. My flush mount fridge has vents on the front at the bottom. And there is only about 1/2" clearance from the bottom of the fridge box to the surface it sits on. So I reckon most the air volume needs to be moving over the rear condensor. Thats where im putting all my vents etc.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
The major driver of fridge power usage is size, insulation, and temp differential from inside to out. Compressors make some difference. All things held equal a fridge with double the exterior surface area will use about double the energy. Air losses opening the fridge are minor unless it's opened 100 times a day.

part time nomad

Adventurer
I run a Webasto CR 165 its a good sized front load, with 125L fridge & 40 L freezer, runs on a secop compressor, its a good fridge but I did have an issue of it loosing gas!! but I am replacing with the same type.

I also run a minus 40 fridge now about 25 years old (from south Africa) in the Land Rover, its a nice square metal box type with no fancy controls to go wrong.

Top loader fridges are better at retaining the cold when opened as the cold falls and stays in the bottom, unlike a front loader that lets it all fall out.

What do you all think of running two 20qt 12v fridges instead of a single 40qt or 50qt? Any ideas on the difference in power usage? Would leaving one unplugged when not in use likely reduce its lifespan? Seems like one for bevs and one for food might lead to less opening of food fridge. And, when you do open, less cold air would escape.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
What do you all think of running two 20qt 12v fridges instead of a single 40qt or 50qt? Any ideas on the difference in power usage? Would leaving one unplugged when not in use likely reduce its lifespan? Seems like one for bevs and one for food might lead to less opening of food fridge. And, when you do open, less cold air would escape.

2 fridges = double the amp draw. Opening one more than the other doesn't lower the overall power consumption. Your food might stay colder but you're still running 2 fridges.

Unless you're remote or destitute, why not keep "real food" in the fridge and put drinks and snacks in an ordinary cooler? I think this mentality would only really suit weekenders or short-term travelers as a prolonged journey would put too high a value on space to consider 2 fridges and ice wouldn't be as available. When I'm out in the van (no fridge yet, saving for a TF130) I use a small cooler and to help it stay cold, I use vacuum insulated drink containers. (Stanley thermos, the old man's Yeti tumbler) They'll keep ice for several days. On a 3 or 4 day trip, I take a 2 thermoses and always have a refreshing drink at hand without opening my (admittedly basic and cheap) cooler. I put one thermos in the freezer overnight, full of Gatorade or whatever but sans lid, then put the lid on and hit the road. The other thermos gets filled and refrigerated then a couple ice cubes added upon departure. Drink the refrigerated one first, obviously. Another trick I use is 2 Sonic cups (because Sonic has foam cups and great ice). Just put 1 cup inside the other for a double insulated cup. That'll last several hours, enough to get me out of town and into camp. I've also been known to freeze grapes and a sliced banana, some strawberries, etc and then put them in my Stanley widemouth food jar, in the freezer, overnight. That's a real nice, refreshing treat you needn't open the cooler for that'll keep very cold for a few days.

These are simple, possibly mundane, tricks but they really do help keep the cooler shut a good bit more.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I've had and installed about 5 or 6 front door Truckfridge models now, they all have the Danfoss/Secop compressor and are pretty amazing. I know a lot of people want a chest fridge though. My old faithful (not 1975 but about 4-5 years and 5 or so rigs now) is a Truckfridge steel model (rebranded IndelB steel chest model). It is the best performer I've ever had and is bulletproof. It's also about 75 lbs. empty. Damn thing is just plain heavy. I did this write up on Truckfridge when I was there a few years back.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/f34/the-truckfridge-company-17937.html

https://www.raneystruckparts.com/tr...-refrigerator-with-freezer-crx-50-by-dometic/
Confirms one of my suspicions... the Truck Fridge CRX-50 they are selling is by Dometic. It’s $500 USD right now.

I’m planning on adding a bit more insulation around mine when I install it. It already has a computer type fan on the rear coils, and I plan to ensure it has cooler air ducted to it and an exhaust air path for the warmer air. It’ll be somewhat tricky given the limited space, but I’ll figure it out.

Hoosier 45

Adventurer
I have a truck fridge 130 and am happy with it. keeps the temps around 34 - 37 deg. F in a 112 degree van. Payed $500 scratch and dent price.

part time nomad

Adventurer
You you can always put some muslin cloth soaked in water over your drink bottles and put them under the truck to let the wind cool them, like the nomads do.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Gotta share the source
Turns out they had only one that had been sent to them in error. It was discounted to clear it off their shelves. It looks like https://www.raneystruckparts.com/tr...-refrigerator-with-freezer-crx-50-by-dometic/ has the best price currently being $470 USD if you get the 5% discount by giving them an email address and they send you the NEW5 code.

Hats off to Peden, they still gave me an excellent price on a CRX-50, but the CR-50 was gone. :(

Even their regular price was way better than any other I could find in Canada.

I could give you a link to the Craigslist add, but the fridge is sold.

Last edited:

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Two fridges won't mean double the power usage. It is a function of surface area, insulation, and interior temps. For the same volume, such as 80 liters single, vs two 40 liter units, you would see 1.2-1.5 times the power usage, assuming the same insulation. Sometimes two units will save power, if you can get a larger fridge, and small well insulated freezer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior