From Freightliner ambulance to RV - we hope!

rossvtaylor

Adventurer
hmmm.... is this offer equivilant to offering up some "grab asz" lol. Ok.... bad attempt at humor... guess I'll just stick with "yup' I'd be interested in the separating insert". PM me the details on how much $$ etc.
Haha! And, no $$ involved. When I said free, I meant it. I will even ship it to you free. Just happy to see it used by someone here. Will PM so you can send me an address.

scooter421

Adventurer
Wow....that is a bit pricey. Any idea how much power they consume?

Scooter...

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

SCENELIGHT
Whelen 900 Series Super-LED model # 9SC0ENZR shall be provided. The steady burn scene light shall incorporate twenty four clear Super-LEDs, a clear gradient optic hard coated polycarbonate lens, and utilize a metal reflector for maximum output. The hard coated lens shall provide extended life/luster protection against UV and chemical stresses. The conformal coated PC board and sealed lens/reflector assembly shall provide additional protection against environmental elements. The solid state scene light shall be vibration resistant. The high intensity scene light shall have 6500 usable lumens. The 9SC0ENZR is certified to meet KKK 1822F requirements and AMD 024 standards. An installation kit including mounting chrome flange with rubber gasket and hardware shall be provided for surface mounting. The 9SC0ENZR will contain a 12” non-terminated pigtail. The scene light is covered by a five year factory warranty.

Voltage: +12v
Size: H=7.15”, W=9.15”, D=1.56”
Amp Draw: 6.0 Amps at 70°C / 3.6
Amps at 100°C
Lens Color: Clear
Thanks for supplying the information Pat. That would be a bit of a draw with all on at the same time. I'd like to light up all around the ambo at some point. I'm thinking about doing individual external switches for at least 3 sides.

My truck had 2 adjustable 110v halogen pole lights on the front of the box. I already have 2 external switches and wiring to work with. Working that in with the side panel lights could be fun.

I'll keep moving....I don't want to hijack the post with my thoughts. Thanks again!

Scooter...

rossvtaylor

Adventurer
Okay, it's awning time. Is the Fiamma F65s (roof mount, next to the rack) the way to go? I'm looking at a 4-meter (13') version. I understand they're just the thing for our taller rigs. Thoughts?

Edit - note: Actually, in reading the installation manual, it appears the sidewall-mounted (and cheaper) F45s is the way to go. Even if I roof mount it, it'll go on the side of the rack which creates a vertical mounting surface. The F65 uses special brackets, none of which match my roof edge profile.

Last edited:

Coachgeo

Explorer
Haha! And, no $$ involved. When I said free, I meant it. I will even ship it to you free. Just happy to see it used by someone here. Will PM so you can send me an address.
Look forward to it's arrival. Thinking on starting with a bucket that dumps fecal matter into quart or 1/2 gallon paint cans along with shredded paper, grasses, leaves etc. Thinking to store sealed cans in a pvc pipe with vent up high to outside. Can's will be thrown into a fire to create bio-charcoal. Eventually the bio-char will be the fuel source for charing the next batch in something like a very small retort / metal smelter. If I end up with more bio-char than needed to repeat this cycle.... can use it in the Hunter Arctic multi fuel (oil(s), wood, coal) military stove am installing in the ambo as one of the potential winter heat sources. Or in my house wood stove. For the Ambo box the other heating will be a diesel poor mans webasco type coolant heater (aka: NOS 1980's diesel engine coolant heater plumbed to warm up engine/cab or the ambo box)

Last edited:

patoz

Expedition Leader
I'll keep moving....I don't want to hijack the post with my thoughts. Thanks again!
Scooter...

My thoughts also. If you want to discuss this further, come over to my thread or post on your's and I'll find you. But I'll close with this, I was surprised when I saw 6 amps also, I thought they are about 2.5 amps. However, they are are going on my rig, no matter what! I looked too long and too hard to find these, and no away are they going to just sit on a shelf after all that. I may have to be on shore power or run the generator, but so be it.

Sorry Ross, sometime we're like a bunch of old women chatting away, and we forget where we are... ?

patoz

Expedition Leader
Okay, it's awning time. Is the Fiamma F65s (roof mount, next to the rack) the way to go? I'm looking at a 4-meter (13') version. I understand they're just the thing for our taller rigs. Thoughts?

Edit - note: Actually, in reading the installation manual, it appears the sidewall-mounted (and cheaper) F45s is the way to go. Even if I roof mount it, it'll go on the side of the rack which creates a vertical mounting surface. The F65 uses special brackets, none of which match my roof edge profile.

Again, I've reached the same point where you are when it comes to the awning. I'm planning on using some kind of rack system on the roof for the solar panels, but I don't know what yet. Therefore, I can't purchase any kind of awning yet either.

clarkh

Observer
it appears the sidewall-mounted (and cheaper) F45s is the way to go. Even if I roof mount it, it'll go on the side of the
I have the f45 on the top of my ambo. Should work well for you. We like it, would like it lower but with giant huge ambo it is where it is.

scooter421

Adventurer
I purchased an ARB at last years Expo and love it. I was wrestling with the issue of height of the truck or the amount of shade. Eventually, height lost and we went with the ARB. It allowed us to avoid the height issues and the simplicity was nice. Going over the side door meant it had to be up there pretty high. Since my wife and I are not tall, keeping it lower was a better choice for us. I don't think ARB makes an awning larger than 8 feet though? At ambo height the simplicity would probably be harder to manage even at 8 feet long. Having an awning across the entire box sure would be sweet!

Scooter...

patoz

Expedition Leader
For you guys who are mounting the awning to the side of a rack on top, how are you achieving a seal between the awning and the body of the vehicle to prevent water from running down the side and puddling at the side door, or are you?

Also, from what I understand, most of those awnings only extend 7' - 8' out from the vehicle, which IMO is not nearly enough. I need an awning that is about 12.5' long, and I would like for it to extend about 10' out.

scooter421

Adventurer
For you guys who are mounting the awning to the side of a rack on top, how are you achieving a seal between the awning and the body of the vehicle to prevent water from running down the side and puddling at the side door, or are you?

Also, from what I understand, most of those awnings only extend 7' - 8' out from the vehicle, which IMO is not nearly enough. I need an awning that is about 12.5' long, and I would like for it to extend about 10' out.
Everything is a compromise. This is what we decided on.

Scooter...
29059f578deb4488ec4f6c7282aba3ab.jpg

rossvtaylor

Adventurer
Damn, Scooter, look how much shade that creates! :)
And, Patoz, no worries about chatting here - it gives me an opportunity to learn more and gives other readers options beyond those things I might kludge together (like closing up the light openings with little baking pans I brought back from Japan!). And, that's a good question about the rain water... hadn't thought of that... darn.
Thanks, Clarkh and Coachgeo, for the input.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader

Having had an F45 on the yellow truck for a while I am looking at other options. They are a tree magnet and being so high up you don’t get much shade in the right place. We took ours off and carry an ezyup thing instead. At least it always in the right spot to give coverage and is a lot quicker to put up than the mounted awning was.

What I am considering for these rigs is to get a 270 degree awning like the Alicab Shadow and mount it across the back of the truck where the light bar previously went. If you know someone that can do the canvas work we can come up with a good design that does not need legs. I can even get great aluminum cases made for them to save them from the AZ UV.

I also like what Tony did (Hobitony) did with mounting a short Hannibal awning right above where we usually setup the kitchen. Being lower it covers where you need it and being a Hannibal it sets up without needing legs. Great for short “coffee time/lunch stops.

scooter421

Adventurer
Damn, Scooter, look how much shade that creates! :)
And, Patoz, no worries about chatting here - it gives me an opportunity to learn more and gives other readers options beyond those things I might kludge together (like closing up the light openings with little baking pans I brought back from Japan!). And, that's a good question about the rain water... hadn't thought of that... darn.
Thanks, Clarkh and Coachgeo, for the input.
Shoot, I wish all that was being provided by the awning!

We'd been through a variety of easy up type awnings over the years and lost every one of them to light breezes. The ARB does produce a good amount of shade. Of course, depending on the time of day, position of the truck it all changes.

I've seen friends and family scramble back the their trailers to retract their awning before the wind does damage many times. Those comical scenes always flashed in my head when trying to decide on an awning style.

While at the expo I saw the ARB on a rig parked next to mine. Over 3 days of the Expo and in a variety of winds which would normally send people scrambling to retract their awnings or hang on to their easy ups, the ARB barely wiggled. I was sold at that point. Of course, you've gotta do what works for your application.

Oz mentioned the tree magnet. We were trying to avoid that problem as well. We've already got a bit of "desert pin striping" exactly where I would have mounted a higher awning. I've barely pushed it into tight areas yet.

Scooter...

Last edited:

Coachgeo

Explorer
On high up awnings (such as on side of roof rack) and the concern of not providing shade as sun lowers..... Once set up... would think you could clip to it a strip of cloth on the edge all the way across that hangs down.. foot or two? Should solve the sun angle disadvantage you got by mounting awning foot or two higher than designed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles