Front CV joint/shafts for Tacoma

madizell

Explorer
A club member here in Alaska has a (late '90's) Taco that keeps breaking or pulling apart the CV on the right front. The truck is lifted a bit, perhaps 2 inches, with coilover shocks in the front, running 33 inch tires and (I believe) a lockrite in the front. Yesterday's modest trail ride caused the inner right joint to separate, although it does not appear that the cage actually broke. It just pulled apart, pulled the boot off, dumped the balls in the snow, and that was that. Naturally, the shaft and joint in question were purchased from Schuck's (their "heavy-duty" remanufactured shaft). Lifetime guarantee notwithstanding, having to replace the shaft every other month gets really old, and driving out of remote country in 3-wheel drive is also tedious.

It may have been covered somewhere else here, but I can't find it. Question is, who supplies high quality severe duty shafts for the Tacoma? Any preferences, or brands to avoid? Also, for those who have run the Tacoma a lot, would anyone recommend using an LSD instead of a locker in the front end? Would doing so reduce the stress on the joints?

Thanks for the help.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
CV Unlimited makes some hd cv's:

http://www.cvunlimited.com/mainfram.htm

I've honestly only seen a few cv failures in person on Tacomas, even with larger tires, lockers, and relatively hard wheeling. Most of the failures I've seen were due to liberal use of the skinny pedal, when a more conservative approach would have accomplished the same thing.

Certainly the front locker will stress the front end components more but it sounds like something else is going on if he has the same failure every time.

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
If they decide to go with CV Unlimited they make ones called Hi-Angle (not listed, but just call) and is what he would need running 33's.

Also he can check with Offroad Solutions. They have some stout stuff too.

vanguard

Adventurer
While it doesn't answer your question (which CV to buy) I did a little writeup and the CV I broke over on TTORA.

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34514

Applying torque and traction to a fully turned wheel is a great way to break a CV shaft. I've found that I can usually straighten up the wheel and climb a rock straight on and most of my spotters know this when they are helping me through tough spots. Another way to break CVs is to get wheel hop and when the tire lands and suddenly finds traction it can snap.

Around here everybody just buys used or remanufactured stock CVs.

madizell

Explorer
Oddly, the last two that were broken were neither fully turned or under significant power, and were not bouncing or doing anything radical. One broke while stationary, if you can believe that. The Tacoma was winching another vehicle and was dragged sideways a bit in the front, which apparently was enough to pull the inner joint apart. No parts were broken per se, although it disassembled itself and parts were lost. This past weekend, the vehicle was in motion, but driving along a moderate trail, going slowly, and with very little spin or power. There were a few sharp dips where the front would have been articulated, and that's about it. Again, it pulled apart and dropped balls, but didn't actually break.

I am thinking that there is a shaft length issue here, or perhaps bushing compliance that lets the arms stretch a bit farther than they should. Or, perhaps the lift was not properly installed, but it isn't my vehicle, and Toyota isn't the brand I am most familiar with being (dare I say) a Jeep guy. Correct me if I am wrong, but the front axle shaft should not extend to the point of being the limiting feature when the front end droops, right? I will have to ask if the coilover shocks are the correct length for the A-arms, or if perhaps it should have limiting straps and does not. Something to keep the front from hyper-extending.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior