Front License Plate Placement

Applejack

Explorer
Where do you folks mount your front license plate when you have a winch?
I know many of you don't have to have them but here in Oregon we must have a front license plate clearly visible. I have an ARB bumper and just installed a winch, and am having a heck of a time trying to figure out where to put this stupid thing.

My initial thought was to find a spring loaded hinge and attach the plate to that, leave it where it is now, covering the hawse fairlead and then flip it up when needed. But maybe there is a more simple way. I'm open to opinions.

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
plate.jpg

Amazon has a version of it. I typed in "roller fairlead license plate" and came up with several places that have them. If you have a hawse fairlead, there is an option for that as well.

DarinM

Explorer
I pretty much did the above. I bought a maglight tube mounting kit, screwed it to an old license plate and then ziptied my new plate to it. Easy to put on and take off. I have heard of a few guys using a small cable lock for security. Mine's been on the Jeep for about 4 years now and hasn't walked off yet.

P1010006.jpg

chasespeed

Explorer
Not the best picture, but, I just drilled and tapped the bumper, and mounted the plate to that. We have to have a plate on the front here too... so....

IMAG0015.jpg

Chase

Flip_4_It

Jeff Brown
I just bought a couple mag light clips and a plastic license plate mount at the local auto parts store and bolted them up. Very cheap and works great. I haven't had any issues with it moving or sliding down the fairlead even in rough terrain and wash board roads. IMG_20110828_105615.jpg

jeffjeeptj

Adventurer
I try to register in a state w/o a front plate. I do have a "mental block" about front plates. I throw mine under the seat when I have one, done this since 16, now 58. Had a few fix-it tickets over the years. I have traveled out of state and had a couple of LEOs fail to understand there are states w/o front plates.
This gene has transferred to my son. too. His pregnant wife got pulled on Mercer Island, not long ago. She told me she begged the LEO to write a ticket since har "blank" husband would not put on the plate. The LEO told her, get it fixed, no ticket. Happened again in Snoqualmie, same result.
I know, not a good example, but my way of fighting the system in a small way. I suspect there are are important matters for the LEOs to keep track of.
The idea of a "clip on" to the fairlead seems like it would work well.

srch4me

Adventurer
i like the springloaded hinge idea with a clip at the bottom. swing the plate down and it clips in over the fairleed then when you need the winch, flip the clip and up goes the plate out of your way.

Louisd75

Adventurer
I don't have a roller fairlead, but the aluminum hawse that I've got is pretty deep. When I went to synthetic I moved my plate up til it touched the winch controller box and drilled some new holes in the license plate like so:
DSCN4371.jpg

ChrisInVT

Adventurer
On the front of my truck I squished the plate between the fairlead and the bumper.

165536_10150097577087149_513797148_6343068_6739124_n.jpg

On the rear I had to get a little more creative since I need to have a plate light.

297544_10150345817002149_513797148_8400839_292246824_n.jpg

298634_10150345816742149_513797148_8400833_1180057177_n.jpg

chasespeed

Explorer
Chris, nice... I used a plate light, and just mounted the plate on my cap... up, out of the way for now, and I never take the cap off anyway....

Chris, is does your last name start with an H?

Chase

ChrisInVT

Adventurer
I tried that but I didn't like the way it looked. I haven't decided how I'm going to do the plate light yet, I'm juggling a few options ATM.

No, it doesn't.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I just bought a couple mag light clips and a plastic license plate mount at the local auto parts store and bolted them up. Very cheap and works great. I haven't had any issues with it moving or sliding down the fairlead even in rough terrain and wash board roads.
Yup, Maglite clips for 'D' cell flashlights are the same size as standard roller fairleads. I did the same as you and Darin, et. al. Just snaps on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz