Front Mechanical Locker Experiences?

I decided on a mechanical locker even though the electric ones were less than half the price. Hopefully it will be alright, if need be with locking hubs there will also be the 3wd option. I'll provide feedback on if it was a good idea or not once my front end is done.

Attachments

• DSC_5598-170.jpg
    DSC_5598-170.jpg
    609.4 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC_5597-174.jpg
    DSC_5597-174.jpg
    706.7 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC_5369-172.jpg
    DSC_5369-172.jpg
    875.9 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC_5624-175.jpg
    DSC_5624-175.jpg
    635.8 KB · Views: 8

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I decided on a mechanical locker even though the electric ones were less than half the price. Hopefully it will be alright, if need be with locking hubs there will also be the 3wd option. I'll provide feedback on if it was a good idea or not once my front end is done.

A lunchbox automatic locker was more expensive than a selectable locker?

Going from 1wd with the rear open to 3wd with the front automatic locker will be a little different at first, but once you get use to the heavier return to center feeling it feels 'normal' again.
I've always used four wheel drive 'as needed' and that has worked out well for me with the automatic front locker. I don't run 60+mph in 4wd down the highway. ( unless it is full time 4wd, which I also kinda loathe at this point )

I guess its the luck of the draw on what the demand is on lockers. For those with an AAM 9.25 axle both GM and Dodge have factory E-lockers, and the supply of used H2 lockers drives the price down, around here they can be had from $150-200 depending on mileage, at times that can be the complete axle assembly. Powerwagon versions can also pop up from time to time like this ebay one. Maybe its not fair to compare new to used, those factory lockers seem plentiful though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior