Front Runner Full Roof Rack Installed on 5th gen 4runner

Oleg

Hello everyone. Currently, Front Runner only offers the 3/4 1560mm (61") version of the rack for 5th gen 4runners. But after 3 trips to Front Runner office and another few to a shop - American Overland Expedition - to make a custom bracket, I have finally done it! I got a full size 2368 mm (93") rack from Front Runner on my 2012 Limited! It was not an easy journey, but the end result is satisfying! Steve from Front Runner provided amazing customer service during the whole process.

I just did a trip from Cali to Arizona with new full rack and bracket. Tested it out up to 90 miles an hour. There is almost no additional noise from the rack (even with the sunroof open). Sunroof has bunch of room to be raised. My gas millage remains pretty much the same. I reset my counter few times during the trip and it averaged out to the good'ol 16.5 - 17 miles per gallon like before.

In any case here is the sexxiness :ylsmoke::

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

MROONFJ

Observer
Looks great!! How did you get the front brackets to work? I just bought a 2011 Limited for my wife.

Oleg

The bracket is just resting at the top of the rubber "rail" part - no drilling or holes where made. Pretty much just like Gobi and Baja did it with their full racks. Kinda like this from Baja rack:

552037_420631744649323_861427842_n.jpg

Mine is the first 5th gen 4runner with the full rack, so I hope the South African engineers will take this as example and manufacture a stock bracket. Saves people from searching a custom solution.

cam-shaft

Bluebird days
That is awesome! Front Runner racks are outstanding and you can beat the modularness of them.
Cam-shaft.

Oleg

Gobi ladder fits

Just installed the Gobi ladder. It barely touches the rack's lower edge. Going to bend the lower edge of the rack by 3-4 mm and it will 100% clear.

gobi-frontrunner-ladder.jpg

mjohns2

Observer
Awesome work! This is exactly what I'm looking for. How many inches higher are you from your roofline?

Also did you go Land Cruiser 1345mm x 2368mm (53" x 93") or Jeep 1425mm x 2368mm (56" x 93")?

Can you post a picture of it from above?

Thank You

-MJ

Last edited:

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
Very nicely done!

Love the Front Runner Slimline II racks, and was very impressed when I helped a friend assemble and install one on his 80-Series.

But a 10" increase in overall length is exactly the reason why I'm leaning more towards the BajaRack Utility Rack than a Front Runner for my FJ Cruiser.

uscg2008

Explorer
Off topic but what propane tank are you running and how do you have it mounted? I'm looking into getting a smaller tank than the normal everyday grill tank and I don't want to have to keep using the small green ones.

Oleg

Sorry for the delayed reply guys. Just came back from a 4-day Portland to LA trip.

Awesome work! This is exactly what I'm looking for. How many inches higher are you from your roofline?

Also did you go Land Cruiser 1345mm x 2368mm (53" x 93") or Jeep 1425mm x 2368mm (56" x 93")?

Can you post a picture of it from above?

Thank You

-MJ

Mine is 1255mm (at least thats the width listed on the receipt) x 2368 mm

To the edge of the rack it is only 5"

roof-5.jpg

This is how it looks like from above:

top.jpg

Off topic but what propane tank are you running and how do you have it mounted? I'm looking into getting a smaller tank than the normal everyday grill tank and I don't want to have to keep using the small green ones.

I got this tank. Fast shipping. Used it for 5 days everyday in the morning and evening and still bunch of propane left.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000SKX63U/

I am waiting till FrontRunner get's their propane tank holder back in stock. For now I have it kinda ghetto rigged. Bought a heavy duty rubber band and 2 metal pieces from Lowes. Straped it at 2 points from each side (4 total) and it looks like this:

propane.jpg

Looks great. What's the weight capacity with a rack like that in the stock mounting points?

It is rated to carry up to 300kg/660lbs.

This is what it looks like right now with everything mounted:

side-view.jpg

Oleg

What was your mileage hit after adding all that up top? The truck looks great!

Heh, it depends. Without any crosswinds on flat highway, I was at 16-17 mpg, almost the same when it was without all the gear. With crosswinds or going up the hill, it dropped to about 14 mpg. Average speed 70 mph.

This is also taking in account that the back was also full with camping gear (ARB Fridge, kitchen, etc...).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles