Front Runner Slimline II Roof Rack - Choice & Installation / 80-Series Land Cruiser

GCRad1

Adventurer
Front Runner Slimline II Roof Rack - Choice & Installation / 80-Series Land Cruiser

My ADV80 has been in transitional development since the day I bought it in stock form in 2008.

Choosing a roof rack can be both simple and difficult depending on how much thought you put into it. For some it is a simple matter of need at the cheapest price. For some, it can be an item of overland bling that will only carry the dust that lays on its cross rails from the home to office. And everything in between is a wide open plethora of options, ideas and brands.

I was the guy who just needed a roof rack to do my desired task of carrying load on the roof be it for work or weekend outings. I was also on a more reserved budget at the time, yes I was looking for CHEAP but sturdy! I purchased my first roof rack in 2010 and while it is an all steel construction model it has served me well. But over time I would discover it came with limitations and sacrifice. My biggest recent discovery of limitations is the fact that adding a roof top tent (RTT) was going to require making homemade "skyscraper" mounts to clear side rails of the roof rack. Note, if you purchase a fold-out RTT, it has to sit above the side rails in order to fold out over the side of your roof rack. Something that I did not consider on the previous roof rack at that time as I was not in the market for a RTT. The other limitation of my original roof rack was that if I did make use of home-made skyscraper mounts for the RTT there would be very minimal space left on the rack for other items associated with a camping trip, such as boxes, fuel/water cans, etc. Also, the steel made roof rack could use a diet as I would be adding the weight of the RTT, thus I was looking for something lighter and strong. Even if I was not adding an RTT, my original roof rack just did not give me the full length coverage I wished for. So the research began! You know the story, we have way more time than money, thus many nights are spent on-line researching while your wifey is watching her favorite TV programs.

Research for myself usually starts with looking at all the advertisers supporting this forum and spelunking the different build threads to see what others are doing. Lots of "window shopping!" Then I will usually open several tabs of different companies and start with their history or “About” so I can see who they are and what they are all about. I want to know first and foremost if they are enthusiast or if they are simply in it to make a buck. Also if I am able to make it out to events, this is a great way the meet the people behind the label and see the product first hand as this is usually the next item after you do all your research, you want to see the product in person. I had that opportunity during the my visit to the Overland Expo in 2012.
You can see lots of rigs and all the happenings on my Flickr Set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rodneywills/sets/72157629883908392/with/7264785328/

13173483413_4c59fc5a51_z.jpg

Lets openly admit, there is just something cool about roof racks. When you see a rig adorned with a full roof rack, it has safari-ready adventure cache even if the driver has no idea what he is driving down Rodeo Drive. Roof racks have a mystique to them and upon spotting that full equipped rig slips you into an adventure daydream. The Overland Expo was an open air showcase of all things roof racks! I was able to see it all from the used and abused to the latest offerings.

Personally, the INTI roof racks most resemble what we have all seen on the Camel Trophy Land Rovers and with that I guess it is easy to say these vehicles and their roof racks have been the pinnacle of dreams to either own or use as reference to build around no matter the actual vehicle we drive. While I do not know the whole history on the INTI racks and doubt they were used on actual Camel Trophy rigs due to their country of origin. While I did see a few INTI’s on some exotic rigs, the real issue is finding readily available INTI racks here in the USA. Just try and find one available for purchase, these racks are imported from Venezuela yet not on a regular established basis. Rare, scarce and expensive was enough to scare me off.

Also at Overland EXPO I saw a few Front Runner racks and they also had a booth at the show where I was able to speak with them.
7264785328_3a36e9cbc1_z.jpg

Front Runner display at Overland EXPO 2012

First impressions are always important and I remember Front Runner staff being very willing to talk with me and show me their product line even though I was not ready to buy anything at the moment. Most importantly, while they are from South Africa, they have an office in Burbank, California. That is crucial when you start thinking about shipping, service and getting more accessory items down the road. As time past and I got closer to actually making a purchase decision I started poking around on their site and found they are actual enthusiast and all the specifications for the rack stacked up in their favor. Thus it was easy for me to make my decision to go with Front Runner as their Slimline II roof rack met the specifications I was looking for with more roof rack load area that covered the entire roof of my rig. I want it to be RTT capable with less weight than my current steel frame roof rack. As I drive an 80-Series, Front Runner makes a rack kit to my rigs specifications and needs!

So lets begin the build process as I will be putting this rack into service use right away with a trip to Moab, Utah from Southern California.

12713132973_a547952b90_z.jpg

Just from the point of delivery, the Front Runner packaging is clean and elegant looking from the outside. Could this elude to the interior contents?

12713462444_7bb20a45a4_z.jpg

I get the Front Runner box into my garage to start the contents inspection process. My 5.11 Tactical Alpha Scout Folder does the job of carefully cutting the heavy duty paper-banding strips.

12713187293_d8ee1165ef_z.jpg

From the moment you open the Front Runner box you immediately notice how organized and well protected the contents are. This is a true sign the company cares about its products!

12713195193_19009abe65_z.jpg

All 80-Series fans will have to sit down for a moment and admire this computer generated document and all the cool accessories Front Runner offers.

12713041875_ee57a4203d_z.jpg

There is a considerable amount of documents and instructions. Some of you may forego the instructions, but keep them handy, you will be coming back for these for the finer details. The instructions too are another sign that Front Runner has gone to extensive lengths to make sure everything is covered.

12713232713_043ed5a80c_z.jpg

I like to get everything out of the individual boxes and start laying things out to see what I will be working with. You can see the individual bags as EVERYTHING is ORGANIZED!

12713533994_813c79eefc_z.jpg

My dog looks on as to say, are we done yet?

GCRad1

Adventurer

12712995795_00a5b4616b_z.jpg

Quality workmanship exudes from the Front Runner side clamps.

12712981275_67eefa319b_z.jpg

Lay out and organize the roof mount claps. There are two sizes for the 80-Series. The longer ones go on the front of the rack as the front cab slopes down toward the windscreen.

12713091845_7cc491a4d9_z.jpg

All of the Front Runner hardware is individually bagged. This is the hardware for the side rails, note the extension slugs.

12713548964_9e929b71e5_z.jpg

12713105785_7613a4de82_z.jpg

12713560294_c082f1b1e2_z.jpg

This may give you a better idea of what the slugs are for as we will be connecting two channel sections for the full length of the Front Runner roof rack.

12713175145_1c27eaf1aa_z.jpg

12713621934_2bd4b8830a_z.jpg

Once we have the two sides put together, we side in the cross beams. Everything about this rack is modular and bolts together but all of the nuts are nylocks to relive that worry. All of these bolts are actually on the underside of the rack. Now we are ready for the end plates.

12713281513_8055f7374f_z.jpg

12713572374_4cb15f6418_z.jpg

The end plate corner intersections can be a little tricky when sorting orientation upside-down - right side up, but with patience and referencing the instructions its rather easy. This is from the bottom of the rack. Familiarity and patience comes ease. Its one of those deals that you just do not want to be in a rush! Don't try to install this rack 30-minutes before you leave on a trip. Enjoy the craftsmanship!

Now you can flip your roof rack over right side up.
12713140995_4ea2b0229f_z.jpg

These are the corner caps and it is important to note that you will be taking these off when you add Front Runner accessories to you Slimline II roof rack. I did bore the hole out a little bit as it was very snug and if I will be removing these later, I didn't want too much stress on the bolt. A side note here as you can see more of the racks rails, you will note the deep channels in the aluminum rails, these channels hold the locking nylock nuts. Also notice the cross beams also have a slot in them. Because of the unique T-slot mounting system, “basket style” side rails are not necessary for securing gear. I will come back and show you more on that later.

12713598574_3f1f7b5ef7_z.jpg

12713603254_c4d8212cdd_z.jpg

Corner piece installed.

More to come...

GCRad1

Adventurer

12713329833_edb07767dd_z.jpg

With the corner pieces installed I flip the rack back over - under side up so we can install the legs. You can see the sturdiness of the rack with its load support slats and double walled aluminum extrusion channel side profiles. This patented design creates a joint support that is stronger than usual for a roof racks and the L-shaped rear and front slat design increases the strength of the entire rack, making the Slimline II the lightest and the strongest roof rack available.

12713155623_86df41ce64_z.jpg

12713188505_ff1075b888_z.jpg

Part of what makes this rack so cool is the slots in which the bolts slide into and are infinitely adjustable.

12713348883_b2c9ce4908_z.jpg

The final bit of installation is the wind deflector, again tidy packaging.

12713359443_cba5dc4f7f_z.jpg

12713365903_c1477084c7_z.jpg

12713205455_915ab944eb_z.jpg

Now the rack is complete and ready to install. Unlike most roof racks, the Slimline II was designed and built specifically for off-road use. Manufactured with high density aluminum and rated to carry up to 660 lbs. Yet the aluminum design is on average 30% lighter than steel making the best strength to weight ratio of any roof rack at 1/3rd less the weight of a traditional steal roof rack.

GCRad1

Adventurer
12713381203_c888114a86_z.jpg

I get the rack onto the roof and start getting everything fine tuned minus the clamp bolts as it is easier to set the main portion of the clamp onto the pinch mold with out them.

12713376403_3b1fd62775_z.jpg

Another cool feature of these clamps are the small set screws that are limiting bolts to keep the clamp bolts from slipping over the edge of the pinch mold, but with them backed all the way out, it is also easy to get them into the clamps when they are are ready sitting on the roof. For those who has messed with roof rack pinch mold style clamps knows this is a bit tricky when you are trying to install them, so you will appreciate these more than someone who has not fiddled with roof clamps.

12713231845_246be12d81_z.jpg

12713675974_679c601b95_z.jpg

12713238735_61b2df2d1d_z.jpg

Now we have the Front Runner Slimline II roof rack fully installed and ready to add accessories!
Its almost a shame to add anything as it is so clean, simple and even elegant looking.

lugueto

Adventurer
Thats an awesome rack!! Is it all aluminum???

I know a lot of people lust over INTI racks for their rugged construction, durability and capability. Being Venezuelan I can guarantee you there is no better rack than theirs at least in our market. The all aluminum construction is a huge advantage as these things are impresively lightweight and can take a freaking beating. But truth be told, looking at how your rack was packaged and included quality hardware, impressively detailed instructions and what not, I dont think any Venezuelan manufacturer comes remotely close to the quality those racks bring to the table. It seems the venezuelan manufacturers need to step it up a couple of notches. But to be fair, given the circumstances we live in, it isn't really because they don't want to innovate, they simply cant. But that's a whole other story.

INTI has had the same shop and machinery for over 25 years, their processes are outdated and while their products are tried and true, there is no actual innovation in their products, not even for aesthetics' sake. Looking at the detail in the construction and attention to detail in the finishes of the rack, no rough edges, everything fits precisely and is beautifully built. What INTI has in ruggedness it lacks in attention to detail and fit and finish. Again, it does the job BEAUTIFULLY and will carry anything without ever looking worse for wear, but the construction quality is nowhere near the racks you uys have in the US, and that is as important as the way they do their jobs.

I guess my point is you always want what you cant have and i'd trade an INTI rack for that one without hesitation

Your 80 looks really sweet also!!

Cheers

Last edited:

GCRad1

Adventurer
Hello Lugueto,

Yes, the Front Runner The Slimline II tray is manufactured in South Africa entirely with corrosion free high density aluminum. 
Aluminum is on average 30% lighter than steel, yet offers the best strength to weight ratio of any roof rack as it is rated to carry up to 660 lbs. For an extra layer of protection the Front Runner roof racks and mounting bits are powder coated satin black with Akzonobel’s Interpon 600 (CPO 6034). In Front Runners testing, the powder coating showed no visible damage at 500 hours of continuous salt spray. I live 6-miles from the beach and even the late night fog can contain salt residue so this is a nice feature since the rack is sitting atop of the vehicle!

12713227043_eed8bc2657_z.jpg

While Front Runner may have not been around as long as INTI, they have been around for 13-years.

About-Us-Header.jpg

From their ABOUT:
Already established as the premiere expedition vehicle outfitter in Africa, Europe, USA and Australia - Front Runner is a 13 year old South African based company founded by a team of engineers, designers, outdoor enthusiasts and professional off-road drivers. There isn’t a country in Africa we haven’t navigated through or camped in. Our combined years of experience in the bush -- dreaming up, designing, building, and testing innovative products -- is the reason Front Runner has quickly grown to become one of the top 4x4 accessory companies in all of Africa. Renown for its superior quality, intelligent design, and durability, Front Runner products are built for the tough and grueling African bush. Our equipment is favored by the U.N., Safari operators, and the most serious expedition drivers. By utilizing the very latest technology and materials, together with CAD (Computer Aided Design), in-house laser cutting, powder coating and bending, Front Runner has developed the most versatile and advanced range of 4x4 accessories. Front Runner has even earned the distinction of having many of their products recognized as official accessories by Land Rover.

Thank you Lugueto stopping into this thread and sharing your your insight on INTI and recognizing Front Runners quality and craftsmanship in comparison. Your comments actually make me doubly-stoked on my choice!!! Again, thank you! Now to put this puppy to use!

NYCRover

Observer
Reviving an older thread- Nice write up.

I recently ordered a slimline rack for my G500. Do you notice any rattling when driving, etc?

Also- curious if any one has used the under rack rails to store the FR aluminum table. I love the design but am concerned it could get bounced around and rattle a ton on washboard roads, etc.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
NYCRover,

I too have worried about the table rattling. From the design, it looks like you could angle the z channel in a little towards the back so it could pinch the table a little. Also, some foam could be added the under side of the rack above the z channel to help hold down the table, or at least minimize bounce travel.

80scruiser

follow up questions to Front Runner slimline II roof rack (80 series)

Hi,

Excellent post, write up, pictures, etc.

I have an 80 series also and was considering the slimline rack. It appears for the 80 series there are two choices, either KRTLT20L (tall rack) or KRTL020L (less tall). The primary objective for my rack's usage is a roof top tent. I noticed that you took some of your stock OEM rack apart. Did you do this because you wanted the lowest profile rack? Also it appears you do not have a rear wind deflector, did you need to remove it for rack installation?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks!

Bryan_FRO

Supporting Sponsor
Hi,

Excellent post, write up, pictures, etc.

I have an 80 series also and was considering the slimline rack. It appears for the 80 series there are two choices, either KRTLT20L (tall rack) or KRTL020L (less tall). The primary objective for my rack's usage is a roof top tent. I noticed that you took some of your stock OEM rack apart. Did you do this because you wanted the lowest profile rack? Also it appears you do not have a rear wind deflector, did you need to remove it for rack installation?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks!

We recommend the tall if you intend to use our table slides on the underside of the rack to store a table. If you have clearance issues the shorter one may work best. If not, it may be nice to leave yourself the option to add a table to your rack in the future.

Also, the rear wind deflector will not interfere with our rack when installed.

Bryan
Bryan@FrontRunnerOutfitters.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles