Frontier lift blocks or shackles?

hovenator

Explorer
I am in the process of putting on a 2" lift on the Frontier. Although I would love to put on the OME suspension lift, I am currently on a thin budget. So, I have purchased a set of 2" PRG billet coil spacers and want to lift the rear 1.5". For simplicity and low cost, I have chosen to go with either a tapered billet block, or some sort of lift shackle. I have read pros and cons to both on the Internet. For all you suspension gurus, I ask which you would choose and why? Thanks for your advice and input!!!

E.J.

Explorer
Have you considered an add-a-leaf? It would be a good long term solution on leafs as new as yours as far as not flattening out.
I ran 2" blocks in the rear and the springs went w shaped in no time, though to be fair the springs were 9 years old when the blocks were installed.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I've heard pro's and cons with both.

Remember that leaf spring u bolts are non reusable and new ones will be an added cost.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
If you're in it for ease, go with the shackles. They'll give you the lift easily, and you'll still have a good ride. Plus the shackles will make the pack flex better. Downside... They will flatten your leafs over time. But they're a good stop-gap until you can get a new pack or AAL in there. Plus, once you have the new springs in, you'll have some adjustment in the shackles to dial the height in.

hovenator

Explorer
That's a great point. I have read about shackles eventually flattening the stock leaves. I would eventually like to replace the leaves with a set of OME leaf packs. How difficult are aal's to install? Shackles are starting to look like the better option.....

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Your truck shoudnt be too rusty, so that would help. It would take a couple of hours or more.

donaldcon

Adventurer
I'd go shackle out of the 2.

But as stated they'll flatten leafs faster.

If you decide on an ad a leaf

Taking leaf packs apart is easy, what I do is jack truck uo by axle, cut/remove the u bolts, then cut the nut off the centering pin while the wieght of vehicle is still on the springs. Then jack vehicle up by front spring hanger so it slowly releases the tension. Slide the ad a leaf where it goes, put center pin through the hole and lower the wieght back down into the leafs and tighten the center pin and install new leafs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

hovenator

Explorer
Anybody use the Rough Country shackles? Pretty much a stop-gap until actual leaf packs can be purchased. Truck only has 3500 miles on current leaves.....

jhberria

Adventurer
A recent thread over on thenewx.org has documented some engineering flaws with the Nisstec shackles, although nothing catastrophic. Basically, they're too wide for OEM leafs and bushings, causing bushing issues. This may be an issue isolated to a select run of the product, or it may be something that permeates the whole line. Personally, I run PRG shackles and they're absolutely flawless.

colodak

Adventurer
In January I had the Nisstec 2" lift installed on my '15 Frontier. 2" spacer in the front with SPC UCA and an AAL with U-bolt flip in the rear. Truthfully, I think it firms the whole truck up enough that it doesn't ride like a car, not harsh at all. I've got a CCLB so the extra few lbs of the long bed might help, but I've not had any issues with it feeling too rough.

hovenator

Explorer
I am still thinking a pair of shackles until leaf packs can be purchased. AAL's would be good too, just concerned about DIY install on them. Trying to keep costs to a minimum currently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94