Frontrunner antenna mount

PhulesAU

Explorer
I'd have it in the middle due to nastry branches, but that's a clean looking install. If you have any weird issues keep us posted.

PhulesAU

Explorer
I'd have it in the middle due to nastry branches, but that's a clean looking install. If you have any weird issues keep us posted.

dreadlocks

I didnt want it to fold over and then have it impact the back door when my son kicks that thing open at mach1.. on the chance that it might turn more than 90 degrees.

dreadlocks

Comet CA-2X4SR, nice wide dual bander w/good swr up high towards GMRS freqs.. not that I would ever operate my D710 outside of spec ;)

This was my best option honestly for a good mount on this vehicle, the roof is aluminum, I chicken shitted outta drilling a NMO mount through that, all the seams on the hatch/hood are really thick (probably cuz aluminum) and I found no lip mounts that could deal with it.. I needed a roof basket so I could carry a full sized spare so I changed plans and been sitting on this D710 for months now itching to install it.. FR has a sale on right now, last summer they wanted $1100.. got it now for ~$700, which is what the OEM cross bars cost and they sit so much higher to accommodate mounting hardware and allowing the sunroof to still open.. looks terrible IMO.

Billoftt

Dreadlocks, that is a damn fine idea. I recently purchased what I believe is the same antenna in CaptainChaos's (The midland 5/8 wave GMRS) for my wife's van and it has a very, very stout rod of stainless steel as the whip. Stout enough to maybe act as a can opener on her roof.

I forgot about this post. Lol.

It is a midland antenna in the pic, but I have since moved that antenna to a homemade awning mount that I built. The antenna is short enough that I don’t worry much about it.
I moved the Frontrunner mount to the other side and mounted my 2m antenna to it. I then ordered the wrong length coax, and haven’t yet ordered a longer one. You can see how much I use my ham. Lol
I better order that coax while I’m thinking about it....