FrontRunner Rack Measurements

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Could someone with a FrontRunner rack measure the distance from the cross slats to the top of the perimeter extrusion? It looks to be about an inch or so, but I cannot tell from the pics.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
It is 15/16 sir. If you are planning for spacers (RTT, etc.) might want to go 1 inch to avoid squeaking during travel though.

I have a Slimline II that isn't mounted at the moment. If you need any measurements or pics let me know.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I definitely don't need higher. I want to install a folding RTT in the rack without using any type of rise. The folders I'm looking at have 1" rails on the bottom. I'm trying to figure out if it will work.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
What is the length and width on the inside vs, the advertised outside dimensions?

Basically, I'm wondering what the true outside and inside measurements are of a rack that has an advertised dimension of 1425mm x 2368mm.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
One more question. How tall is perimeter rail?

Dang, another question? Is your rack fully assembled? If not could you take a close up of the ends for both a middle cross slat and one of the end cross slats? I'm wondering how easy it would be to take longer slats and cut them down with a band saw. Then just drill the holes needed for the nuts and nutsert.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Here are some pictures I took while extending my rack. A couple show the ends of the slats up close. The "end" slats are the same except a little wider with a 45º corner cut to work with the radius corners.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

We have received 18 inches of snow in the last 24 hours. When I have my boots on tomorrow I'll head out into the drift and get the other measurements you asked about.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Oh, as to cutting them down...they are just aluminum. A bandsaw or high-quality chop saw (with reducible speed) would cut them nicely. Front Runner sells the Rivnut tool you would need to insert new Rivnuts.

Keep in mind that I haven't used that tool...but I'm pretty sure that is what it is for. Might want to check with Front Runner.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I've done quite a few rivnuts, so that should not be an issue.

It looks like the end of the cross slats just have a through hole with an 8mm nyloc nut inserted into the top of the slat. Is that correct?

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
I don't remember...except that it is not loose. Whatever nut it is, it's fixed into the slat (which is why I was thinking rivnut). I does ratter around in there a bit, but doesn't fall out. Also, to be clear, I did not have to insert them. They arrived within the slat.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Sorry dude, my rack is buried in a 36 inch snow drift right now. I'll pull it out for you and measure it up tomorrow. Promise!

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
I was working on my rack today and took some close up pictures of the slat nuts. Hope this helps.

They seem to be swedged in....if you know what I mean.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier